Simple question, complicated answer perhaps?

One solution is hook up with a PH that you click with and operates in multiple areas and then you are always hunting with a friend. Some will say that it’s only business always with the PH but imo that attitude will pretty much prevent the development of a friendship. I greatly enjoy the company of the folks we hunt with and look forward as much to seeing them as hunting.
My wife hunts with me and feels the same way about our hosts and is thoroughly hooked on Africa which is the greatest travel companion possible but I would likely still go alone knowing I will have friends to see and hunt with at my destination.

I have a group (3other guys)that has been hunting waterfowl together since 1994, we do a trip somewhere every year, we all met either in school at Auburn or working together for Auburn . We all Hunt alike, we each shoot our own birds and keep what we shoot. As far as Africa goes I much prefer to hunt by myself with my wife tagging along.
I have done 1 2x1 ( Game 4 Africa) hunt while I really enjoyed it I was always worried my partner was doing okay, it probably turned out to be his last safari so I wouldn’t change it for the world. We met by overhearing a conversation at church.

Like others, I married my international hunting partner. But then - we had five (5) kids together, and now I have 6 hunting "partners."

However, "partner" suggests something like equal contribution to the effort. In my case, none of my hunting partners seem to have much money. Or any money. In fact, they cannot afford a dang thing. My hunting budget goes up, while my shooting opportunities seem to keep trending down.

And I would not trade it for anything.

I do have a few longtime hunting friends, mostly the deer hunting days. Most wont go to Africa, too far and too expensive (neither of which is true, but its the most cited reason that hunters don't go). I've actually taken about 30 new-to-Africa hunters with me on various trips. Mostly I take employees as a reward for service to the company/cause. Once folks have been introduced to Africa, they seem to return.

Good luck in the quest.

I do not much care for them. Have always had great experiences with my PH's and guides.
Agreed . I would rather spend one on one time with the PH than have another hunter in camp, even if I’m friendly with them.

+1
I get your question. None of my childhood friends, like zero, have both the money and the actual desire (the "follow through" to their bs stated over a beer about hunting Africa, Argentina, etc) to make hunting in another country happen.

The path I went down was I finally stopped "waiting" for them and currently, I have met the right people (money and desire) through DSC, some training courses (e.g.FTW) and through my work actually.

Also, my teenage son loves to hunt so he is my go to currently (kind of easy to make that work). Lastly, I also just go solo sometimes. I have found if you get along with your PH/guide, it is about the same thing. This is especially true once you find one you are aligned with, hunt with them multiple times. Most all hunters I have met anywhere in the world are like minded, it is great. Lastly, you may also find someone through your taxidermist, if you ever bump into his other clients. Cheers

+1
Been there, Done the same thing.

I would rather be enjoying a hunting or fishing trip solo than waiting on, listening to BS excuses, and doing nothing with my former buddies who were mostly all talk with no or very little action when it was time to put up or shut up.

I married him. We started dating (38 years ago) by quail hunting. I had a a great hunting lease and he had fantastic bird dog.

A marriage not necessarily made in heaven......well in the field together, enjoying a good hunt, combining each other's missing hunting components, could be considered heaven.

Bogart and Becall....Casablanca??
'...beginning of a wonderful friendship...'(?).

Agreed . I would rather spend one on one time with the PH than have another hunter in camp, even if I’m friendly with them.

I don't mind others being in camp, as long as they are not obnoxious jerks or drunks. Socializing after the days hunt at dinner or over drinks is a good opportunity to hear others hunting stories and to gather information on other countries or areas to hunt in.

I don't mind others being in camp, as long as they are not obnoxious jerks or drunks. Socializing after the days hunt at dinner or over drinks is a good opportunity to hear others hunting stories and to gather information on other countries or areas to hunt in.
It can be a great time to talk over the days hunt, but personally I don’t want to deal with the obnoxious drunks regardless, or anyone not up to the task. This is the reason I requested a solo camp when I hunted Zim. I didn’t want anyone else to cause any issues during my hunt.

I had a hunt in Colorado years ago with a bunch of guys I knew, not well but I knew them through other mutual hunters. All great guys and a pleasure to be around any other time, but when the hunt got tough, things went south quick. For the most part they were not physically fit enough to be in that situation and it caused some bumps throughout the day. Since then I want to hunt solo, and preferably the only one in camp.

I’m more interested about the hunt than anything else, including the camaraderie built in camp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgmakeovers

Latest profile posts

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!