Y'all are missing the bigger picture: rhinos move to extinction

This is a very nuanced issue. One perspective is the important job as conservationists we have to ensure the long time survival of the species. Does CBL help achieve that? It does but only in a limited fashion. Part of any animal breeding program should be "rewilding" efforts and introducing species into areas for species expansion. The current perception of CBL is that it is raising lions as livestock to be shot by rich trophy hunters. That is why CBL has been outlawed. I echo the sentiments that as hunters we must regulate ourselves and need to be savy in the game of public relations. If the stories in the media read, "30 lions from south africa breeding facility were introduced into viable habitat" vs "Rich dentist shoots canned lion" we would not be having this conversation.

Here is a shinning example of how to ruin the hunting reputation and heritage with one idiotic act. He allegedly, ran down a wolf with a snowmobile. Injuring it enough that he could tape its muzzle.

This has caused an uproar on social media. It’s already all over the internet or I wouldn’t post it. But it’s important that we as hunters publicly castigate and throw people like this out of or groups. In front of the lurking anti hunters.

Also, I think trappers posting pictures next to a live animal with its foot in a trap is along the same lines as this idiot. I have no issues with trapping, but Dispatch the animal as soon as possible. don’t sit next to the live animal and take a picture.
I was going to post that the other day.

Thought the same thing, this is what damages perception.

Now due to the public outcry after the lies of the antis concerning Cecil the lion and the CBL debate RSA is ending the practice. What is being missed is that rhino ownership will now be banned as well. This is after John Hume, Trophy the film, finally went bankrupt and had to sell out to the govt/NGO. The rhino will now face certain extinction or simply be relegated to zoos.
So here is a big thank you to all you anti sympathizers. All you armchair critics of CBL operations. And all of our organizations starting with PHASA, thank you. You did the most damage to conservation in modern history. The CBL is gone and most won't lose sleep over it but the rhino is gone as well.
AS HUNTERS WE MUST HANG TOGETHER OR HANG SEPARATELY!

I appluad SCI and FNAWS for condemning this deplorable "harvesting method" (it is NOT hunting).

Perception is important and the the CBL "harvesting method" does not (and will not ) improve the public perception of hunters.

Call me an "armchair critic" but CBL is an unethical "harvesting practice" that harms the image of hunters and sportspeople.

are the farms that have breeding rhino going to have to kill them off? Hopefully they can amend this ruling but once the antis get their teeth into something they never let go. Sickening!
Same as CBL. 2 years to kill them or give them to the govt.

Easy now..

I know it’ll be hard for an aspiring influencer such as yourself but can you please refrain from mentioning Trophy The Film for a year or so?
You moron, this is not about me but John Hume who was the largest rhino breeder in history! Do you not understand the timing here? John just sold out to the government and now the government is taking all the rhinos. Fishy for sure.

John Hume went bankrupt before this intent to prohibit CBL was announced. John Hume went bankrupt because there is no legal rhino horn trade. You are spreading misinformation and you have no idea what this will or will not mean for rhinos in South Africa in game ranches in the future. You are simply jumping on the headline without information to support your statements.
Do a little more research your self on the timing of all of this.

You moron, this is not about me but John Hume who was the largest rhino breeder in history! Do you not understand the timing here? John just sold out to the government and now the government is taking all the rhinos. Fishy for sure.
Do some deep breathing exercises, have some coffee and relax ;). If it’s not about you then don’t insert yourself into it by mentioning some little film you participated in into the conversation. I know it’s tough for an aspiring influencer/Youtube personality to avoid self promotion but it does get annoying for the rest of us. Nice clickbait title by the way

I did not state rhinos are raised for their horn. I said they are not raised for hunting. John Hume was likely raising them strictly hoping for a legal horn trade, but for most it would be a passion project or a novelty on your land (probably while hoping for a legal horn trade). Protecting a rhino for 30-40 years and selling for $25,000 isn’t a good investment, but would recover some of the loss especially if you could do some dart hunts. I see nothing dishonest about those raising rhinos or holding them on their game farms. Possibly the CBL outfitters are more honest now, but the industry is a dishonest industry. Maybe less so than 10 years ago though after all the bad publicity. I’m uncertain the reputation damage they cause equals the potential conservation value in the bone trade. I’m quite certain you do remember who made the quote.

CBL is a dishonest industry? Sir there are dishonest people in every line of work. It is just the CBL, since it is an animal you can make a stuffed animal/teddy bear out of, it gets more attention from the public and people like you. What about the dishonest sable or whitetail deer breeders? They release pen raised animals to hunt but there is no widespread concern. CBL must be released into 12,000 acres to be hunted and many other rules. But it is never enough for some.
As I said before, we can hang together or hang separately. As an industry we didn't hang together and look what happened.

African Parks is a private organization not government
NGO yes but it is far from a private business. Its money comes from the governments.

I find 375Fox's view points and opinions "well thought". He seems to do his research and he is simply voicing his opinion. This is an open forum. He has stated, "The real bigger picture of this should be support ethical hunting practices and stop questionable practices before they can do damage." 375Fox is "a voice of reason".
Really? He attacked me saying I was touting my role in Trophy when I was exclusively pointing out the John Hume story!

This is a direct consequence of our industry's refusal to self-regulate.

If hunters and hunting organizations had condemned CBL shooting practices as unethical from the beginning, then this issue wouldn't even exist. But because the practice persisted and became a big political issue, the baby (rhino breeding) is now at risk of being thrown out with the bathwater (CBL).

I believe that it is possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. You can support rhino breeding and private ownership due to the obvious conservation benefits, while also recognizing CBL shooting as unethical.

My hope is that organizations like SCI and DSC will lobby the South African Government to allow the continuation of rhino breeding.
I guess I'll have to give up. How is it ethical to hunt one kind of pen raised and released animal yet not another?

I wouldn’t have posted that if IvW didn’t make his condescending remark about uninformed individuals making assumptions. However, I can’t see how rhinos can pay their own way through strictly hunting. I read the average is something around $2000 per rhino per year spent in anti-poaching on private land. One of the areas I’ve hunted that held the most rhino ran a very successful photo tourism operation along with the hunting. Eventually they’d hunt them but the photo tourism adds value waiting on a bull to grow old (if poacher didn’t get the rhino first). Hunters will also be drawn to areas they can see a rhino possibly making the area more valuable. Rhinos are a liability on most properties because it makes them a poaching target. I think many rhinos are more of a passion project than an investment. There have been several very low end offers posted here that I unfortunately assume are liquidation sales to remove them and the liability from the properties. There are some areas especially in Namibia that get very good prices for their white rhinos. Black rhinos I don’t see publicized beyond the one you mentioned so I don’t know, but I believe there is no ownership of black rhinos in Namibia. Ranches can only apply to be custodians of them. If I’m wrong on that someone can correct me.
There certainly are black rhinos in Namibia and that is where many of the notable ones have been hunted in recent years. Black rhinos are not publicized because there are only a tiny handful hunted each year, they go for $400k, and the antis are always after those who hunt them.

That's my understanding, too. The black rhino Corey hunted was an old wild male that had been attacking and killing other rhinos.
Namibia has a different model where they are somewhat co-owned with the government. So they are basically privately managed.

Do some deep breathing exercises, have some coffee and relax ;). If it’s not about you then don’t insert yourself into it by mentioning some little film you participated in into the conversation. I know it’s tough for an aspiring influencer/Youtube personality to avoid self promotion but it does get annoying for the rest of us. Nice clickbait title by the way
You are a real idiot. This is in no way self promotion. I CAN NOT believe any of you saw it this way.
This is a waste of my time. I'm out.

I am shocked that some of you feel that this post was some kind of self promotion for me. I have hunted a private land rhino and I have not hunted a CBL. I don't have a "dog in the hunt" so to speak On CBL. I just want to do what is right and what is happening Now is wrong.
I am out for a while.
Philip

Really? He attacked me saying I was touting my role in Trophy when I was exclusively pointing out the John Hume story!
@Philip Glass you are accusing me of something I did not write anywhere in this thread. I’d appreciate if you deleted your comment before the time limit or corrected yourself.

@Philip Glass, don't pay attention to them, the world is full of haters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rusty Shakelford

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.