Why You Should Travel To Zimbabwe

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Resize2.jpg

Why Go on a Zimbabwe Safari - Wildlife, Adventures & Stunning Landscapes​

In the north, you get a triple dose of natural wonder from Victoria Falls, Hwange, and Mana Pools National Parks, a World Heritage Site. About 11% of Zimbabwe's land consists of wildlife estates and parks.

1. Adventure Activities in Victoria Falls

Highlights:

• Breathtaking, up-close views of the waterfall
  • Experience adventure activities, like ziplining, bungee jumping, gorge swinging, white river rafting, and microlight flights
  • Stay at luxury hotels and lodges within walking distance of the waterfall
  • Discover the markets and restaurants of Victoria Falls Town

2. Incredible Wildlife Sightings

Highlights:

• Enjoy guided safari walks through Hwange National Park
  • Thrilling game drives in the wildlife-rich regions of Zimbabwe
  • Track white rhino on foot in Hwange
  • Boating safaris and sunset cruises on Lake Kariba
  • Spot rare African wild dog in Mana Pools National Park
  • Experience walking excursions and night game drives in Hwange

3. Off-the-Beaten-Path Safaris in Zimbabwe's Hidden Gems

Highlights:

• Incredible safari experiences in off-the-beaten-path safari destinations
  • Reliable Big 5 sightings in Malilangwe Wildlife Reserve
  • See Malilangwe’s rare black rhino
  • Rhino tracking, walking safaris, and horse trail experiences in Matobo
  • See 3,000 examples of Khoi rock art and even earlier Stone Age settlements

4. Exceptional Luxury Safari Lodges

Highlights:

• Spectacular lodges that offer modern-day luxury and comfort
  • Classic hotels that offer the best of yesteryear and present-day delights
  • Authentic, under-canvas tented camps that offer creature comforts
  • Accommodations feature fantastic views of nature in wildlife-rich regions
  • Fresh, gourmet dining and world-class facilities and amenities
  • Superb service with a smile
  • Exclusive-use properties available

5. Convenient Travel Logistics

Highlights:

• Combine multiple destinations in Africa with ease
  • See other popular travel destinations, like the Kruger, Cape Town, and the Okavango Delta
  • Enjoy a bush and beach vacation with an island getaway after a safari
Screenshot_15.jpg

Some links and articles to read:

So how much cheaper is Zim compared to the more "sexy" countries like Botswana, SA, Kenya. etc?

Because I think a good point to make would be how you can get as good accommodations and game viewing/hunting while spending less.

And for photo safaris, less crowding

Zim's natural beauty is second to none. Their hospitality is A+. Their PH's are the best trained and licensed in the world. Their game density and biodiversity is excellent. Their history is very interesting.

Their politics suck. As a consequence, in answer to the questions above, their accommodations are not spectacular. If they had spectacular accommodations, some greedy politician would find a way to nationalize the property, extort the leasee, or create a tender bid to ensure their crony friends can sweep it out of the hands of the existing operator.

That's the only thing about Zim, things can't be "too shiny and nice" or it creates troubles for the hard working operators and their staff. The worst of camps in Zim are still better than the typical western USA hunt accomodations or the shoddy motels of the southwest, so its not awful by any means. It's just not going to be 5-star. About the two nicest hotels in Zim are Rainbow Towers Harare (I think it was the Hilton or Marriott before nationalization?) and the Old Victoria in Vic. There are many charming bed and breakfast places and what the camps and hunting lodges lack in amenities, they make up for in service.

It's the only place I hunt in Africa.

I never thought I would be able to say this, but the govt is doing better and things are on the up. Several major inter-city road works are in progress, some suburban roads in Harare are being re-surfaced, power availability in much better. Credit where it is due.

...As a consequence, in answer to the questions above, their accommodations are not spectacular. If they had spectacular accommodations, some greedy politician would find a way to nationalize the property, extort the leasee, or create a tender bid to ensure their crony friends can sweep it out of the hands of the existing operator.

I'll disagree. Last year while glamping I stayed at the Hide at Hwange, and the Old Drift Lodge at Victoria Falls. Both were first class accommodations especially the Old Drift Lodge. Now, they were NOT budget accommodations.

And the Hide

Are there any security issues in Zim (security issues above average African country)?
I am asking this, just to get idea if firearm import embargo will be removed in foreseeable future?

The only issue this Aussie would have is our own Guvmint's ban on taking my own rifles to Zim; I'm sure I could hire appropriate "tools" to complete the hunting experience. As a young whippersnapper I debated moving to join the fight for the old/original Rhodesia; wasn't to be, sadly.

I cannot think of anyplace in the world that I would rather live than in Matabeland, Zimbabwe. Unlike Mashona land who predominately votes for the ruling party. Matabeland, who votes differently receives little to no govt. support, our roads are worse than terrible. ZESA Zimbabwe's electric company does not even have a service vehicle for our area. We accept this as part of our life.

Someone mentioned security, like all countries there are cities & rural areas. Crime is at its worse in the cities. Fortunately where we live the Tonga people are a very honest and peaceful people. We do not worry about locking doors and I only lock my gun safe because the law states that we must.

If someone's primary interest is luxury, I would recommend Switzerland. If a person is looking for a life changing experience, come to Zim. Do we have some wonderful hotels and places to stay? Yes. One of many differences between Zim and lets say RSA is most hunting takes place on Government concessions, National Parks, Forestry and Campfire. Leases normally run from 5 years to 9 years 11months. Would you build a "luxury lodge" under these circumstances. In addition leases have a way of being forgotten when the Govt. decides they want it back.

Our next client is a AH member and his wife. This will be their 3rd hunt with us. This will be a 30 day hunt. He is looking for a genuine Zimbabwe where he hunts on the days that he wants to hunt we will fish on the days that he wants to fish. Drink and eat with friends, repair things that break down and help with community projects. I believe this is what a true Safari is all about.

Are there any security issues in Zim (security issues above average African country)?
I am asking this, just to get idea if firearm import embargo will be removed in foreseeable future?
Interesting question, and one I ask myself. There are no security issues at all, none. That is not the reason. So why is there such animosity with the West? This is a hangover from the land upheaval and Robert Mugabe’s hatred of the West in general. So the West withdrew and the Chinese filled the gap. It will now take a lot of Western and European investment to regain a foothold, but it seems that there is no appetite. Big mistake. Both sides need to swallow their pride, a big move would be to remove the sanctions, which would precipitate the next move, and so on.

I'll disagree. Last year while glamping I stayed at the Hide at Hwange, and the Old Drift Lodge at Victoria Falls. Both were first class accommodations especially the Old Drift Lodge. Now, they were NOT budget accommodations.

And the Hide

I couldn’t agree more Tanks. Check out the Stanley and Livingston in Vic Falls. It’s as nice as I’ve seen in Africa. The resort we stayed at in Harare was no slouch either.

It's been on my mind for some time that I'd like to return home permanently

I've no longer any family, nor friends, in Zim so have no inside info

All my experience and contacts are now in Mozambique

I'd be grateful for any info from Zim folk - either on here or by PM

Cheers all

J

If you own your home so have no rent, no kids at school and live in a place with good security Zim will be very enjoyable. It is more expensive than South Africa. Where do you live now John?

If you own your home so have no rent, no kids at school and live in a place with good security Zim will be very enjoyable.
One issue to think about as we get older is access to good medical care. For non-routine emergency care nearest decent facility is a country over from Zimbabwe.

As a matter of fact I am going in for a hernia repair surgery in a few days. If I waited until after my October hunt and something happened during the hunt at Kazuma I'd be in trouble to make it to an emergency room in a timely manner.

One issue to think about as we get older is access to good medical care. For non-routine emergency care nearest decent facility is a country over from Zimbabwe.

As a matter of fact I am going in for a hernia repair surgery in a few days. If I waited until after my October hunt and something happened during the hunt at Kazuma I'd be in trouble to make it to an emergency room in a timely manner.

That is a good point you make Tanks

Even if one goes private, there is a limit to medical costs

I'm 65

I still run a business which I enjoy - so I'd make a transition to Zim over the next 5 years

That makes me 70 !!

Will I really be able to continue to enjoy the bush more than I can now ?

Am I really up for a major lifestyle change at that age?

I might come from Zim - but it is a foreign land compared to RLI days

I don't like the way the West is going - it appears to be in terminal decline - on route to the end of individualism and a return to a form of totalitarianism similar to the religions of past centuries

Will I really find an escape in the tough old world of southern africa ?

Last edited:
You would be amazed at how good the private health care is in Zim, and as Tanks says if you really need it there are excellent facilities in South Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vanzierho

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.