Where are the Biggest Leopards found?

Appreciate the information so far. Any recommendations on outfitters in these areas?

HH

I hunted Nyamazana Safaris with Wayne this year in July got my Leopard on the 3rd day. We still went and checked baits there was another large Leopard that hit one of the baits out. A lot of Leopard action, I would highly recommend him if your after a large Leopard. Besides from area I think adding more days and bait will also increase your chance of a large leopard.

bb4d18ed-85c2-4ee1-85c9-65cce7722867.jpeg
IMG_6432.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Zimbabwe only just exceeds South Africa for the most top 100 Gold standard record book Leopard.
However, it is important to interpret the data correctly, statistically, Zimbabwe harvests more than double the number of leopards than ZA thereby sliding the scale in that destination's favor.
Botswana, Namibia, and Zambia all feature, but Tanzania exceeds the entries of those 3 countries combined.
Of late, Mozambique has been adding some impressive skulls to the list, however not yet grabbing major accolades. That said, the 16" SCI-measured skull is quite common with numerous topping 17"each year.

Bear in mind that there are many factors to determining the best leopard destination for each individual hunter aside from record trophy size, like other game species in the area, success rate, and Guide hunter competency.
For instance, Namibia has less than a 30% success rate per annum on leopard hunts, while Niassa in Mozambique boats higher than 70%.
The Southern regions of Zimbabwe typically produce larger cats than the Zambezi valley, yet hunting the expansive wilds of Northern Zimbabwe is a classic Safari generally not comparable with the mixed cattle/game ranching regions of the Southern lands.
Northern regions of South Africa present a genuine opportunity at a massive cat, however, permit availability and restricted land size currently pose significant challenges.
Method also counts. A study done by Mark Butcher in Zimbabwe over several seasons revealed that Leopard hunted over hounds averaged 1" larger than those hunted over bait during the same period. However, a broader data set is required to reach conclusive results.

So if your only requirement is chasing a brute of a cat, throw the dice to land somewhere near the Limpopo river...

Zimbabwe only just exceeds South Africa for the most top 100 Gold standard record book Leopard.
However, it is important to interpret the data correctly, statistically, Zimbabwe harvests more than double the number of leopards than ZA thereby sliding the scale in that destination's favor.
Botswana, Namibia, and Zambia all feature, but Tanzania exceeds the entries of those 3 countries combined.
Of late, Mozambique has been adding some impressive skulls to the list, however not yet grabbing major accolades. That said, the 16" SCI-measured skull is quite common with numerous topping 17"each year.

Bear in mind that there are many factors to determining the best leopard destination for each individual hunter aside from record trophy size, like other game species in the area, success rate, and Guide hunter competency.
For instance, Namibia has less than a 30% success rate per annum on leopard hunts, while Niassa in Mozambique boats higher than 70%.
The Southern regions of Zimbabwe typically produce larger cats than the Zambezi valley, yet hunting the expansive wilds of Northern Zimbabwe is a classic Safari generally not comparable with the mixed cattle/game ranching regions of the Southern lands.
Northern regions of South Africa present a genuine opportunity at a massive cat, however, permit availability and restricted land size currently pose significant challenges.
Method also counts. A study done by Mark Butcher in Zimbabwe over several seasons revealed that Leopard hunted over hounds averaged 1" larger than those hunted over bait during the same period. However, a broader data set is required to reach conclusive results.

So if your only requirement is chasing a brute of a cat, throw the dice to land somewhere near the Limpopo river...

Precisely why you push through all that bullshit and shoot a 180# cat in ~Maswa or SE Zim. No doubt you link up with a great cat in those areas without the nonsense. Please don’t interpret as rude, this is just a fact.

But us crackers can not reasonably hunt RSA so that’s no even in the conversation. I do believe that your skill and hounds can yield a super cat.

I believe it is strictly depending on their diet and not a geographical thing.
It is very geographical and varies depending on the environment.
It is a fallacy that more protein automatically = bigger leopard.

There are monsters south of the Limpopo. Most if not all of those Kruger and APNR super cats that develop a taste for prime veal are giants.

There are monsters south of the Limpopo. Most if not all of those Kruger and APNR super cats that develop a taste for prime veal are giants.
Certainly also some big leopards in northern KZN and Mpumalanga.
Top 100 SCI records show only 3 from KZN, versus 19 from Limpopo/N West.
We know from published surveys that Limpopo & N West constitute the majority of occupied leopard habitat in ZA, so the data favors the Northern provinces by volume.
Impala and Kudu make up the predominant prey across all those provinces, therefore leopard size is very similar.

Certainly also some big leopards in northern KZN and Mpumalanga.
Top 100 SCI records show only 3 from KZN, versus 19 from Limpopo/N West.
We know from published surveys that Limpopo & N West constitute the majority of occupied leopard habitat in ZA, so the data favors the Northern provinces by volume.
Impala and Kudu make up the predominant prey across all those provinces, therefore leopard size is very similar.

The problem with KZN is that although we have the greatest population density, we receive the least permits yearly, which swings the bias to the northern provinces. This is solely because the Zulus , for the use of their Inkosis (chiefs) and Kings have the right to harvest freely by any means, since it is their culture…

If KZN received the same amount of permits for leopards as Limpopo the statistics would change dramatically.

I believe it is strictly depending on their diet and not a geographical thing.

Absolutely not true. Strictly genetics which equates population distribution. The average Cape Leopard male weighs 80 lbs and has ample steenbuck, cape grysbuck, grey duiker and many other sources of protein.

Absolutely not true. Strictly genetics which equates population distribution. The average Cape Leopard male weighs 80 lbs and has ample steenbuck, cape grysbuck, grey duiker and many other sources of ca
Cape leopard in the coastal Eastern and Western Cape mountains are generally smaller. They’ve adapted to survive in their environment. Every now and again this theory is tested however. There was a leopard killed with dogs in the Grahamstown area a couple of years ago that was over 100kg, some big ones have been caught in live traps over the years that exceed 80kg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cape leopard, especially those in the coastal m

Cape leopard in the coastal Eastern and Western Cape mountains are generally smaller. They’ve adapted to survive in their environment. Every now and again this theory is tested however. There was a leopard killed with dogs in the Grahamstown area a couple of years ago that was over 100kg, some big ones have been caught in live traps over the years that exceed 80kg.

You are correct that the odd big tom appears in the South Eastern Cape. Further north in the Eastern Cape size increases.

As far as the Western Cape goes the average is very small

Absolutely not true. Strictly genetics which equates population distribution. The average Cape Leopard male weighs 80 lbs and has ample steenbuck, cape grysbuck, grey duiker and many other sources of protein.
Agree with Dewald, area and genetics, not diet indicates size. Go and have a look at lions in Kalarahi vs rest of Africa, Kudu in Eastern Cape vs rest of Africa etc. I have seen some leopards kept in captivity that gets a lot of meat, they are not that big. In the Eastern/Western Cape for some odd reason certain animals are smaller than elsewhere.

Biggest leopard I have seen was in Cape Vidal, Isimangaliso Wetland Park, which is Northern Natal. I have seen huge spoor in the Limpopo valley RSA; read and heard Matombi and Zambia Luangwa valley also have big leopards.

Wow that is a nice cat! Hopefully will get my cat by February and I have a feeling he is going to be lonely by himself......

Reaching out to the community on where the largest Leopards are found and outfitter recommendations. My biggest to date is 175 pounder out of Namibia that was raiding cattle ranches. I was happy with that setup but it’s been 8 years and looking for current info.

View attachment 571081

HH

You have shot fine cats already, but to my knowledge, Mengwe district, SW Zimbabwe between Plumtree and Figtree, near Matopas has the largest leopards anywhere.

Vaughan Whitehead Wilson and Garth Adams of Mapassa Safaris hunt that area of Zim. They hunt the properties formerly owned or guided by Paddy "Bloodnut" Curtis. I believe Blood had the #1 and #3 all-time shot on those properties? Presently, Mapassa Safaris has 47 separate cats identified on camera in the region and they do a lot of extensive research on the health of the population, along with a charity that incentivizes locals to not poison or harass the cats via reimbursement for any livestock losses taken by leopards.

Vaughan Whitehead Wilson with one of the many Matopas / Mangwe area big leopards. In my visits to the area he had many cats of this quality on film and hitting baits.

Vaughan does traditional blind hunting for leopard and also has a large kennel for hunting them with hounds.

IMG_4537.JPG

Vaughan Whitehead Wilson with one of the many Matopas / Mangwe area big leopards. In my visits to the area he had many cats of this quality on film and hitting baits.

Vaughan does traditional blind hunting for leopard and also has a large kennel for hunting them with hounds.

View attachment 571610

That’s one nice cat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
doithuong247co

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?