What To Take In The Field

Definitely chapstick. First safari in Namibia (May) every time i smiled for photo ops turned into a grimace. Knife. Returning back to camp, spitting cobra was sitting in front of the PH's door. Of course the knife wouldn't be appropriate to try and dispatch the snake, a large stone nearby was used, then the head was removed to be sure.

Definitely chapstick. First safari in Namibia (May) every time i smiled for photo ops turned into a grimace. Knife. Returning back to camp, spitting cobra was sitting in front of the PH's door. Of course the knife wouldn't be appropriate to try and dispatch the snake, a large stone nearby was used, then the head was removed to be sure.

Agreed on the chapstick. I never ever use this in normal life, but something about the air being so dry over there made it very uncomfortable. I asked the outfitters wife to bring me some with the next run for groceries.
I’m definitely bringing some from day one next time.

Everyone is different when it comes to hydration. I walked a good bit in South Africa, and would have appreciated a Camel Back. Of course, I wear a pack most of the time I'm walking, especially in the desert (Death Valley, Mojave, etc.) I also find a bottle in my pocket unwieldy, but I think it is important to be able to hydrate whatever you do.

I have certainly hiked more places than I've hunted; but I hunt the same as I hike. When I hiked around the North end of garden Island in Australia, I was very happy to have a jacket / pants with removable sleeves / legs. It was hot when I left in the morning, but as I got to the North tip of the island and started walking down, the skies opened up into a torrential rain. I was soaked to the core by the time I got back to base (praise the Lord for Jameson's,) but it would have been much more miserable without something to turn some of the water away.

I also want to know how to get back to base, on my own. I've gotten separated to many times to not have an aid to navigation; whatever is appropriate for the situation.

I agree that you want to be light, especially on a full service hunt, but there are some things that I will have to ensure I am being responsible for myself, in no particular order:

Knife
Sun protection as appropriate (including eyes)
24 hours of personal medication, for me that includes Benadryl and OTC pain meds
Binoculars
Point and shoot digital camera (got turned around in Eastern San Diego and found the trail by following pictures on my camera)
I like to have something to chew on
I always have a flashlight in my pocket
Something to write with/on
Triple antibiotic ointment (I have a tendency to walk into thorns for fun) and bandaging
Reading glasses (I can no longer dig a thorn out of my leg without them, and finding that out was a situation I would just as soon not repeat.)

I can put all of this on my belt and in a mini M.U.L.E. Maybe 5 pounds and I am set for anything that isn't totally stupid. Weigh less than the rifle and rounds.

Lots of people list TP, I'm going to assume the PH will ensure some is available. In the 3 nights I've spent out unplanned, the last thing I cared about was hygiene. If I was in a situation where the ordeal could be expected to last more than 24 hours that would change, but I would have a pack that was larger by almost an order of magnitude.

After trying to save a man's life in the Kalahari desert, and having to wait for almost 1 hour for an ambulance while I try to get his heart going again, I will never ever travel again without a Garmin Inreach in deserted areas. He was only 42 years old, and should have been married 3 months later.

After trying to save a man's life in the Kalahari desert, and having to wait for almost 1 hour for an ambulance while I try to get his heart going again, I will never ever travel again without a Garmin Inreach in deserted areas. He was only 42 years old, and should have been married 3 months later.
I'm still researching the In Reach system. It definitely appears that it could be a solution to a real problem. My condolences on you experiencing that and to those who cared for the lost.

First of all where will you be hunting? What will you be hunting? How long are the stalks?
there is a massive difference. On a typical PG Safari you are rarely far from the truck. A small pack with a few items you might need is good.
if you are Buffalo hunting and walking 10 miles a day that is another story.
For me I travel light. Gun, binos, ammo on belt carrier, leatherman, & maybe water.
Good question But don’t over think it.
Philip

I'm still researching the In Reach system. It definitely appears that it could be a solution to a real problem. My condolences on you experiencing that and to those who cared for the lost.
I took an Inreach+. In addition to communication and emergency call capabilities it was a plus to drop waypoints and also have family track me in Africa as I was moving around.

Inreach or a sat phone was an absolute necessity just three years ago in places like Zimbabwe. Now the cell towers are becoming ubiquitous where a WhatsApp is possible at least every 30 minutes as you travel in and out of signal, worst case. Camp has a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot and they bring it in the cruiser.

If you work with younger PHs and operators, they may have a fully functional solution for you to connect via Wi-Fi. Progress.

I took an Inreach+. In addition to communication and emergency call capabilities it was a plus to drop waypoints and also have family track me in Africa as I was moving around.
I have an inreach mini and that little thing is awesome works great everywhere I have been with it.

Inreach or a sat phone was an absolute necessity just three years ago in places like Zimbabwe. Now the cell towers are becoming ubiquitous where a WhatsApp is possible at least every 30 minutes as you travel in and out of signal, worst case. Camp has a mobile Wi-Fi hotspot and they bring it in the cruiser.

If you work with younger PHs and operators, they may have a fully functional solution for you to connect via Wi-Fi. Progress.
Nope. No cell at Dande for me. The only way I could connect to cell via WhatsApp was when we were close to Zambia border and picked up the Zambian operator.

Camps did not have a W-fi hotspot either. Then again, I was not glamping. ;) This year's trip to Nyakasanga does not even have decent road access from Harare, charter is the only way to get there.

Here's a question for all the veteran hunters - What should I bring with me during the day while hunting.

Apart from the obvious, gun, ammo, a good knife, camera, bino's, change of socks/shirt, rain gear, what else should I have that the PH won't provide? What about rangefinder, sticks, repellent, first aid stuff, water, snacks, a full flask? I've never been on a guided hunt, but I'm assuming I won't need a pack that's full to the brim.
Phillip Glass has a video that I follow to precision that has served me well on my two previous Safaris

Nope. No cell at Dande for me. The only way I could connect to cell via WhatsApp was when we were close to Zambia border and picked up the Zambian operator.

Camps did not have a W-fi hotspot either. Then again, I was not glamping. ;) This year's trip to Nyakasanga does not even have decent road access from Harare, charter is the only way to get there.
I bought a Sat phone to have peace of mind and with Iridium covers all of Africa no matter where you are

Would this boker suffice for plains game?
8449E769-49C5-49C3-B336-0175679F2599.jpeg

Would this boker suffice for plains game?View attachment 485676
Very nice knife, but in all honesty...more than what you'll need. My wife and I took several knives with us and none of them cleared leather outside of the dinner table when the house flatware was lacking an edge.

Want to be a hero? Bring along about 10 of these and hand them out to the skinners and trackers.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQDY9G...colid=2NXMKN578JVUY&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Bonus points for throwing in a Smith's Pocket Pal Sharpener.
https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50364...sharpening%20stone,aps,54&sr=8-33-spons&psc=1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.41.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.41.50 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.42.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 9.42.09 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
Very nice knife, but in all honesty...more than what you'll need. My wife and I took several knives with us and none of them cleared leather outside of the dinner table when the house flatware was lacking an edge.

Want to be a hero? Bring along about 10 of these and hand them out to the skinners and trackers.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SQDY9G...colid=2NXMKN578JVUY&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50364...sharpening%20stone,aps,54&sr=8-33-spons&psc=1

Truth

I take a good hunting knife every trip over… but never actually use it for much of anything..

I also take (make) a bunch of knives prior to every trip and give them as gifts to the camp staff and other hunters…

Those don’t get used a whole lot either lol

https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-50364-Pocket-Sharpener-Outdoors/dp/B00BY9G08W/ref=sr_1_33_sspa?crid=P83CAS4I3XB2&keywords=smiths+sharpening+stone&qid=1661819461&sprefix=smiths%20sharpening%20stone,aps,54&sr=8-33-spons&psc=1
This is a pretty good idea!
Will these knives hold up to regular use for a season or two?

After I had shot my cull impala this last June we headed over to it and found that she wasn't dead yet. Then instead of shooting her again the tracker asked if I had a knife. This surprised me since I figured that they packed one. My PH didn't have one either and all I had my my Leatherman. The tracker used it to finish off the impala.

I don't go anywhere without that Leatherman and a folding pocket knife, except for where I would have problems getting into buildings and or airplanes.

This is a pretty good idea!
Will these knives hold up to regular use for a season or two?
I’ve had one of these knives in my kitchen for years and even in Africa, I’d expect several years of use. It’s made by a fishing gear company and I found it when I was looking for a new fillet knife that wasn’t a Bubba blade.

After seeing what the skinners and trackers use on the animals, and how they sharpen them…we’re planning on taking several on our next trip. Small price with a big upside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianaR92

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !