US sanctions Zimbabwe president Emmerson Mnangagwa over human rights abuses

It is on your temporary import license.
I am saying if you come into the country with 80 rounds of loaded .375 H&H leave with the same number of loaded and unloaded brass. The firearms section of customs in Vic Falls has been checking all of our clients over the 3 years.

I am sure if you loose a box or two or even all of your brass. Your PH being the wonderful guy that he is can find you replacement. Remember in Zim your firearm ammunition license is TEMPORARY.

Phil Glass may just say leave it, if that is what you want to do, then by all means do it. I have no idea what is taking place at Harare or Bulawayo.

Remember it only takes on person o the other side of the counter to ruin your day or even trip.

Lon

Over the past 6 trips through Harare, they've been very easy to deal with. They are focused on leaving with guns that have the right serial number. They've never counted the ammo or brass, they just ask how much loaded is left over. (the answer is always zero loaded shells remaining and I'm a terrible shot and I tend to be a litterbug, picking up none of my brass)

This is really embarrassing.
We has to take care that our customs believed that our journey ended in RSA.
Check out weapons in JNB, booking an Airlink flight to HRE…
A little bit more complex than necessary but it worked out…
As I understand the EU (?) arms embargo was to be reviewed in February this year. Anyone know if it was and has it been repealed?

Over the past 6 trips through Harare, they've been very easy to deal with. They are focused on leaving with guns that have the right serial number. They've never counted the ammo or brass, they just ask how much loaded is left over. (the answer is always zero loaded shells remaining and I'm a terrible shot and I tend to be a litterbug, picking up none of my brass)

I've only hunted Zimbabwe once. On arrival the customs folks checking my paperwork, firearms, and NOT my ammo were a big help. At first they couldn't find the paperwork my outfitter had filled out and waiting on my arrival so they helped me fill out a new set, of after filling out the paperwork they found the prefiled paperwork.

Then there was the hiccup with SAPS and SAPS paperwork. Again the customs folks in Zimbabwe helped me correcting it to make reentry into RSA. Then came time to do a count on ammo to make sure it matched my count on the SAPS 520.......Now these were the same customs folks that were so helpful on my arrival....Ooops, OH Sh't moment....I - that is they let me - enter with hollow point ammo which they told me was illegal. But since they let me in with it they were more than happy to let me leave with it as long as I would: 1. Never enter with hollow point bullets again and 2. Inform others that it is illegal to bring in hollow point bullets into Zimbabwe.

I'm looking forward to my next trip to Zimbabwe. But I will definitely be going with a better more reputable outfitter.

I’m sure it was a ten way deal. Many people got their back scratched somehow.

As I said and others....this is nothing new....just a rearranging of sanctions....some people have been taken off the list...some possibly added...can't remember as read it a bit ago....dont understand the worry....or whatever people have....not going to make any difference to going there than before....and the sanctions weren't to kill the tourist industry.....

What bothers me more is the sanctions on Unit 6, which means US citizens can't hunt there.
Yep, I was supposed to hunt in Unit 6 this year and now it looks like we are going to a different area

It is on your temporary import license.
I am saying if you come into the country with 80 rounds of loaded .375 H&H leave with the same number of loaded and unloaded brass. The firearms section of customs in Vic Falls has been checking all of our clients over the 3 years.

I am sure if you loose a box or two or even all of your brass. Your PH being the wonderful guy that he is can find you replacement. Remember in Zim your firearm ammunition license is TEMPORARY.

Phil Glass may just say leave it, if that is what you want to do, then by all means do it. I have no idea what is taking place at Harare or Bulawayo.

Remember it only takes on person o the other side of the counter to ruin your day or even trip.

Lon
I would be interested to hear more on this. I had a strange situation in Harare this summer coming home. They actually freaked out over the EMPTY brass. I had the remainder of my loaded ammo and I had some of my brass, mostly from my double because it has extractors so I stuck them in my pocket then put them back in the box with the ammo. When we checked back in at the airport to leave the freaked out and kept saying they had to "verify" and then did a bunch of fake texting and calling. I told them to just keep it, but they continued carrying on and jabbering with each other and texting people. Finally they said they were going to keep the brass. Ha ha. I was like sure whatever man. I brought the rest of my loaded.ammo home, but they kept like 6 or 8 empty 470 nitro brass?

On the subject of missing cartridges. As far as I know there is no law that says you have to leave with the same number as when you arrive. What I am saying from client experience is at Vic Falls “they” expect to see you leave with same number as when you arrived.

A permanent Zimbabwe firearm license holder may only posses ammunition that he or she purchased from a licensed firearms ammunition dealer. Do hunters end up leaving ammunition with their PHs yes. Is it legal no.

One of the reasons Zimbabwe is so strict on ammunition is they do not want the ammunition to fall into the hands of criminals and or poschers. You might say how many criminals or poachers have a .500 or .470 not many, but I guarantee you that there are a few. If “they” have the ammo they will find something to shoot it thru. Example guns stolen at the airports.

Remember there are laws and there are policies. Do you really want to be standing at the airport arguing as your plane departs?

Lon

As I understand the EU (?) arms embargo was to be reviewed in February this year. Anyone know if it was and has it been repealed?
The arms embargo has not been repealed.

Lon, to enable someone to leave loaded ammo with a PH

could a guy carry empty brass in checked baggage. So he has empty brass on the return trip.
I am not going to encourage you to circumvent the rules, but that would work. Of course your PH is going to encourage you to leave the brass with him to.

To the best of my knowledge no one has had a major problem, but a verbal chastising when you are in a foreign country can sometimes put the fear into a person.

Lon

What Lon says is wisdom. Don't play games with customs in any country. And I can tell you that Zim has not even noticed sanctions changing and has no thoughts of changing tourism.

I would go out on a limb and say the only reason they may be interested in ammo is because you do not pay duty with your temporary import. If you did leave ammo, you or your PH should pay duty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewflinders

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.