Travel to RSA on United Airlines ammo question

The only reason I picked up some empty factory boxes from Barnes is because I had a CBP officer tell me some airlines will be sticklers about ammo being in original boxes. Rather than give them any reason to be unreasonable, I just took that option away.
Geez, on my way back last August when going through security on Joberg, I had forgotten to put two spent bullets and two spent shell casings that came out of my Buffalo in my locked and checked ammo box. They were in my camera bag.
I got taken into a back room and was interrogated for 15-20 minutes and ended up leaving them behind. The officers tried to convince me it was ammunition and illegal. For a little while I thought I might be leaving there in handcuffs. That’s how I was treated by them. Really hated to give them up as the bullets were perfectly mushroomed back at all 4 petals.
So, do yourself a favor and just don’t take any chances.
It is understandable with the bullets and shell casings. There have been a number of reports on here about someone forgetting a casing in their day pack that they used on the hunt having one in it and them being questioned

But the airlines own regulations don't say anything about needing actual factory boxes. You just need boxes that hold the cartridges securely and not just flopping around. For 20 round paper boxes a number of the online catalog shops sell them.

As I said I have never had a problem. I make sure that all my empty cases are placed back into the plastic carriers and into my locked ammo box in my checked bag. People need to remember that they are at the mercy of a different country than the US and that you need to abide by their rules. After all, cases and even spent bullets are components of ammo that goes into a rifle.

airlines in the USA require you to put TSA locks on your ammo box, just tell them at check in you have ammo in a TSA locked box, no issue. I have a Pelican case for ammo and if not flying after I get to SA I will get the lightest plastic ammo box to go into my luggage case no need for a heavy one. also they will all tell you 11 pounds includes the case and SA airlines will weight it

Has anyone ever brought ammo only? No rifle, just ammo...

First off, do not put the ammo in the same case as the rifle. Just don't. Some people I am sure have done it without issue. Just don't I used one of these with a TSA lock:

Throw the lock on, put it in your checked bag. Done.

The mixing calibers, same brand in same box with factory stamped cases is loosely, if enforced at all, at best.

UA had zero concerns about our ammo flying from EWR to Jo-Burg. RSA does care about ammo but even then, not to the extent people say. They asked me on me on my return flight to remove the ammo and put the box on the scale. They didn't even ask or question coming in to the country. I don't think I even removed the ammo from my bag until I hit the camp, the next morning at sight-in.
I don’t see where it was ever suggested to put it in the same case as the rifle. He has a small vault case for the ammo.

airlines in the USA require you to put TSA locks on your ammo box, just tell them at check in you have ammo in a TSA locked box, no issue. I have a Pelican case for ammo and if not flying after I get to SA I will get the lightest plastic ammo box to go into my luggage case no need for a heavy one. also they will all tell you 11 pounds includes the case and SA airlines will weight it
That’s not correct. It’s actually not even required to be locked for domestic travel. I would definitely put a lock on it for international travel though. TSA/non-TSA doesn’t matter. Rifle must be a non-TSA lock though.

That’s not correct. It’s actually not even required to be locked for domestic travel. I would definitely put a lock on it for international travel though. TSA/non-TSA doesn’t matter. Rifle must be a non-TSA lock though.
thank you I stand corrected, Airlink required locks on ammo boxes when I traveled last year

This isn’t correct. You don’t have to put ammunition in any box at all, other than the factory or plastic boxes (20 rounds, 50 etc). I’ve travelled domestically with two boxes of ammunition, one inside each boot in my checked luggage. For international travel, I think a lockbox is required or certainly advisable.

This isn’t correct. You don’t have to put ammunition in any box at all, other than the factory or plastic boxes (20 rounds, 50 etc). I’ve travelled domestically with two boxes of ammunition, one inside each boot in my checked luggage. For international travel, I think a lockbox is required or certainly advisable.
Correct !
" Loose ammunition is not accepted. Ammunition must be packed in its original container or in securely packed fiber, wood or metal containers. You can’t combine different quantities of ammunition in one package." Right out-of United's website
No mention of locks.

I don’t see where it was ever suggested to put it in the same case as the rifle. He has a small vault case for the ammo.

Re-stating it for clarity. Prior to going myself, I had a couple people suggest it. Just want to make sure he doesn't fall into that advice.

The OP here. Well I found a lighter box to put the ammo in. The Vault box was three pounds on its own and was intended for travel inside RSA for a stand alone ammo box. I don't need that as my outfitter is in Limpopo and getting picked up at the airport. The box I found is a 30 cal. can made by Gettysburg. I mention this because I have 10 others that are very similar but this one is just slightly larger which allows the large 20 round Magnum MTM slide boxes to stack inside and then one vertical. I got three boxes of the large (300 Wby) and two standard (375 Ruger) in the locking box and since it was only 1 lb. empty it afforded me the extra box of ammo and under 11 lbs. I know its more ammo than I need but since the 300 Wby is custom throated in MUST shoot my ammo as the pressure from a factory 300 Wby round will not be good in my rifle. Bought the case at Rural King for $7. Its orange so I can't loose it!

The OP here. Well I found a lighter box to put the ammo in. The Vault box was three pounds on its own and was intended for travel inside RSA for a stand alone ammo box. I don't need that as my outfitter is in Limpopo and getting picked up at the airport. The box I found is a 30 cal. can made by Gettysburg. I mention this because I have 10 others that are very similar but this one is just slightly larger which allows the large 20 round Magnum MTM slide boxes to stack inside and then one vertical. I got three boxes of the large (300 Wby) and two standard (375 Ruger) in the locking box and since it was only 1 lb. empty it afforded me the extra box of ammo and under 11 lbs. I know its more ammo than I need but since the 300 Wby is custom throated in MUST shoot my ammo as the pressure from a factory 300 Wby round will not be good in my rifle. Bought the case at Rural King for $7. Its orange so I can't loose it!

How long are you going and what's on your list? Are those 10 round boxes?

It's always good to bring extra but that's a good bit of ammo. I shot 5 animals in RSA when I went in May and used 7 rounds total, 2 of which were for sighting in. Even if you have 3 out of the 5 with follow up shots necessary, that's still only 10 rounds. Even guys with scopes horribly out when they arrive only maybe used 4-5 rounds to sight in.

Just trying to save you some weight and hassle. You are bringing two calibers so a bit more is understandable.

I ended up given my PH a box of Barnes TTSX 300WM as a gift and still brought ammo home.

Just be prepared on way back there is a good chance they will require you to check the ammo separately and drop it off with police with your rifle. I’d take the vault case or make sure this case can lock. The ammo plus case should be under 11 lbs on way back anyway if there should be someone difficult at the counter that day.

One more time.... then I'm done! Put your ammo in lockable box as everyone has posted. No need to take 11 pounds of ammo unless you are on a big cull hunt. Put the locked ammo box in your regular checked bag and not in your firearms case!

For internal flights within RSA, you might need to check your ammo case separately. Make sure it is in a good plastic case with a lock and has your name/ID tag on it. Depending on the mood or whatever of the individual checking in flights within RSA, you may have to check it separately just like any other checked baggage. The TSA does not operate in foreign countries. The TSA is a USA Gov agency!

I flew from Durban to JNB one time. The airline check-in agent demanded the ammo be checked separately just like any other checked bag. Luckily I had it in a separate, locked and tagged case. Picked baggage up in JNB for Delta flight home. Put the ammo box back into my regular checked bag as per US carrier policy and that was that.

One more time.... then I'm done! Put your ammo in lockable box as everyone has posted. No need to take 11 pounds of ammo unless you are on a big cull hunt. Put the locked ammo box in your regular checked bag and not in your firearms case!

For internal flights within RSA, you might need to check your ammo case separately. Make sure it is in a good plastic case with a lock and has your name/ID tag on it. Depending on the mood or whatever of the individual checking in flights within RSA, you may have to check it separately just like any other checked baggage. The TSA does not operate in foreign countries. The TSA is a USA Gov agency!

I flew from Durban to JNB one time. The airline check-in agent demanded the ammo be checked separately just like any other checked bag. Luckily I had it in a separate, locked and tagged case. Picked baggage up in JNB for Delta flight home. Put the ammo box back into my regular checked bag as per US carrier policy and that was that.
I’ve flown direct from Johannesburg back to US 4 times on Delta. Most times I can remember the agent made me check the ammo separately and take it to police with the rifle. I always try to leave it in my checked bag hoping they’ll say leave it. You do what the agent tells you to do.

Here is what I do. 40 rounds of 375 H&H in a SKB waterproof case. I have not weighed the case but my guess it is well shy of 2 pounds. If needed I could take another layer of foam out and put in more ammo, knife, binos etc.
This is all you need to do. Lock it up, put it in your checked baggage and you are good to go. I do also put a copy of my passport and SAPS 4457 form at the bottom of the container.
IMG_2135.JPG

Here is what I do. 40 rounds of 375 H&H in a SKB waterproof case. I have not weighed the case but my guess it is well shy of 2 pounds. If needed I could take another layer of foam out and put in more ammo, knife, binos etc.
This is all you need to do. Lock it up, put it in your checked baggage and you are good to go. I do also put a copy of my passport and SAPS 4457 form at the bottom of the container.
View attachment 596932
My set/up exactly with a pelican. Nice to see you use the cable combo locks. I was worried they could be deemed too light ???
Master Lock 4688D Accepted Set Your Own Combination TSA Approved Luggage Lock, 1 Pack, Black

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 8.23.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 8.23.58 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
My set/up exactly with a pelican. Nice to see you use the cable combo locks. I was worried they could be deemed too light ???
Master Lock 4688D Accepted Set Your Own Combination TSA Approved Luggage Lock, 1 Pack, Black

Exactly. Nice thing about these cases is you can take out foam layers to adjust to what you want to carry besides just your ammo. I use mine at home a lot as well for when I go out hunting and will even put my pistol etc in it and throw it in my kayak when I go out fishing since it is waterproof. Great cases for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
While we are discussing ammo boxes and locks, does it have to be a TSA lock or can you use normal Master Lock type padlocks? If it is flying separately on Airlink, I'd prefer a more secure lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewflinders

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.