Travel to RSA on United Airlines ammo question

Letzhunt

AH veteran
Reaction score
I will be traveling to Johannesburg on United Airlines in May. I am taking two rifles and have an ammo case (vault) to safely secure the ammo in. I am not traveling by plane once in South Africa so I don't need the case to be able to travel as its own luggage but I do like the strength of this case.
So the airline says it allows the standard 11 lbs of ammo. I know it is understood that that does not include the weight of the case but has anyone had issues with this?
I ask because the case itself is 3 lbs so if it does count the case weight it can keep a box from going.
The other strange thing is on United's website it says:

• Loose ammunition is not accepted. Ammunition must be packed in its original container or in securely packed fiber, wood or metal containers. You can’t combine different quantities of ammunition in one package.
What do they mean by the last sentence?
Don't mix quantities? What?
I assume it means don't mix calibers in the same box but I know you can mix calibers in the same case. I emailed United and got crickets.

Anyone who has flow United to Johannesburg recently please let me know if you had any issues with any of this.
I know I'm likely overthinking this but my gun has a specific load and will not fire factory 300 weatherby because the free bore is not the same in my chamber.

I just went end of February. You are overthinking. Put your ammo in factory boxes or 20 rd boxes designed for holding ammunition inside your vault case and you will be fine. It’s technically 5 kgs of ammo (11 lbs). It is the ammo only however if you had connecting flights it’s sometimes treated as 5 kgs including case depending on who is running the counter but you will have no issues flying direct to Johannesburg. Be prepared that they may require you to check it as separate luggage on the way home. You can put it in your regular checked bag flying there though.

How many rounds are you planning on bringing? 11 lbs is a lot of ammo. I usually take 60-80 rounds but only use 20-30 of them, sometimes less.

You are overthinking it. Just put your ammo in the case and make sure its all under 11 lbs. I did have Emerites weigh mine once, case and all. I was only taking 60 rounds so I was way under.

They are really only worried about packing (no loose ammo) and weight. The airline is not going to look at the head stamps on the ammo.

I've flown United many times to Africa, never have I been asked any questions about my ammo. Just put it in a lockable container, inside of your checked luggage, you should be good to go.

I assume you have to declare the ammo is in the checked bag. I haven't flown for a hunting trip in a long time.
Thanks for all the replies

I assume you have to declare the ammo is in the checked bag. I haven't flown for a hunting trip in a long time.
Thanks for all the replies

Yes, I always told them I had ammo, and asked, ‘would you like to see it?’ And I was always told ‘no’.

Speaking of locks. I've never used TSA locks on my ammo cases, just regular key locks. I do have my name and phone number in fairly large letters on the outside of the ammo cases figuring (hoping) if TSA ever had a problem they'd give me a call.

Last year flying Delta to Joberg the ticket agents were a little confused about whether the ammo boxes should have the red Firearms tag in them or not. Since they were unsure they had me put them in anyway.

Like others, the weight of my ammo has never been checked although one time they did ask me if it was 11 pounds or less.

I just ordered a couple of MTM Ammo Crates (2lbs and 2.5lbs in weight) as last time I went to Zim ammo went in the checked bag. I'll report back if I think they'll work. Taking 40rds of 475 No 2 Jeffery and 40rds of 375 H&H.

I write with a white paint marker weight of ammo, weight of case, combined weight.

Lon

I reload so I did not have factory boxes. I called Barnes and asked them if they would send me a few empty factory boxes for 375 H&H 300 gr TSX and they gladly did so.
I put my reloads in the factory boxes and then put those in my lockable ammo case.
Easy to do with no questions asked.

Curious as to what sort of case/vault? I use a Pelican and haven't had any issues with weight, security or strength.

Everyone packs too much on their first trip. I took 80 rounds of ammo for one caliber (30-06). Needed 21 (IIRC) with two zero checks & 9 animals.

Trip #2:
My SKB ammo box weighs 2.6 Lbs, empty no locks.

With 60 Rounds of 9.3x62 (50 - 300 gr + 10 - 286 gr solids). Box plus ammo plus 4 TSA combo locks weighed 9.1 Lbs. I have no desire to argue with some airline employee over ammo only Vs ammo box weights.

I used one Federal 9.3x62 plastic ammo box for the (mixed) 10 solids + 10 A-Frames, and two 20 round "Ammo Vault" boxes for remaining A-Frames. All reloads in shinny (new looking) once fired Lapua brass.

I stuck a printed label on front of each box showing:
9.3x62
300 Gr Swift A-Frame
2,325 fps

Mixed box read a little different:
9.3x62
286 Gr Swift Solids
2,350 fps

300 Gr A-Frames

I did need to replace one lock after arrival in Joburg that Delta bent all to hell.

IMO 40 + 40 rounds for two calibers should be plenty and keep you at or below 11 pounds.

Don't over think it! As others have posted. Get lockable box.... like a ready made one for ammo or even a pistol box like I use. Two plastic sleeved ammo boxes fit perfectly inside. Use a cheap lock. Put your nome on it like any luggage. Place in checked baggage. Declare it is there when checking in at the same time you declare your firearm.

The only issue you may run into are flights within RSA where the internal airline may force you to check the ammo box separately. If so then you are good to go with the lockable ammo box with your name tag on outside just like any other luggage. I always put a copy of the ID page from my passport in any checked baggage including, firearm case and ammo case. Also, I have never figured out why anyone would need more than 30-40 rounds of ammo unless for a big cull hunt of some sort. :)

lockable ammo box 2.JPG

lockable ammo box closed 2.JPG

I reload so I did not have factory boxes. I called Barnes and asked them if they would send me a few empty factory boxes for 375 H&H 300 gr TSX and they gladly did so.
I put my reloads in the factory boxes and then put those in my lockable ammo case.
Easy to do with no questions asked.

I'm a reloader also and all I have done is to use the plastic boxes designed for reloaders. Some on here have used the 50-100 cartridge boxes, all I have used are the 20 cartridge ones. I do use a sticker with the cartridges information on it along with the loading..

Zero problem, and have never been asked to check the ammo. On a couple dozen flights with ammo in my checked baggage I have only been asked once to weigh it. That was when I was leaving South Africa on Qatar Airlines and they wanted to weigh it.

I'm a reloader also and all I have done is to use the plastic boxes designed for reloaders. Some on here have used the 50-100 cartridge boxes, all I have used are the 20 cartridge ones. I do use a sticker with the cartridges information on it along with the loading..

Zero problem, and have never been asked to check the ammo. On a couple dozen flights with ammo in my checked baggage I have only been asked once to weigh it. That was when I was leaving South Africa on Qatar Airlines and they wanted to weigh it.

The only reason I picked up some empty factory boxes from Barnes is because I had a CBP officer tell me some airlines will be sticklers about ammo being in original boxes. Rather than give them any reason to be unreasonable, I just took that option away.
Geez, on my way back last August when going through security on Joberg, I had forgotten to put two spent bullets and two spent shell casings that came out of my Buffalo in my locked and checked ammo box. They were in my camera bag.
I got taken into a back room and was interrogated for 15-20 minutes and ended up leaving them behind. The officers tried to convince me it was ammunition and illegal. For a little while I thought I might be leaving there in handcuffs. That’s how I was treated by them. Really hated to give them up as the bullets were perfectly mushroomed back at all 4 petals.
So, do yourself a favor and just don’t take any chances.

First off, do not put the ammo in the same case as the rifle. Just don't. Some people I am sure have done it without issue. Just don't I used one of these with a TSA lock:

Throw the lock on, put it in your checked bag. Done.

The mixing calibers, same brand in same box with factory stamped cases is loosely, if enforced at all, at best.

UA had zero concerns about our ammo flying from EWR to Jo-Burg. RSA does care about ammo but even then, not to the extent people say. They asked me on me on my return flight to remove the ammo and put the box on the scale. They didn't even ask or question coming in to the country. I don't think I even removed the ammo from my bag until I hit the camp, the next morning at sight-in.

Attachments

• MTM Survivor Dry Boxes | Cabela's.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.