Travel duffle bags

Care to share where that is?
@DLSJR is talking about the Pelican Air 1615 measuring 32.58" x 18.40" x 11.02"...adds up to EXACTLY 62 linear inches. Perfect for checked baggage. The only complaint I've seen on these is that baggage handlers will bash in the corners or wheels sometimes. Doesn't happen often, but it's worth mentioning.

The Pelican Air models are a great lightweight alternative to the Pelican Protector series and made specifically with the frequent traveler in mind.

I like the idea of the protection factor. But deducting 15 pounds from the 50 allowed (for most). Is a lot of weight. What needs to be protected at that level inside checked bags?

Couldn’t all optics and fragile items be carried in carry on. Or in the rifle case

If the trade of is worth the deducted 15 pounds. Maybe I’ll buy one

What am I missing

Last edited:
I like the idea of the protection factor. But deducting 15 pounds from the 50 allowed (for most). Is a lot of weight. What needs to be protected at that level inside checked bags?

Couldn’t all optics and fragile items be carried in carry on. Or in the rifle case

If the trade of is worth the deducted 15 pounds. Maybe I’ll buy one

What am I missing
30 lbs is a LOT of stuff. Seriously. Packing for a trip (anywhere, not just Africa) I've been unable to reach the 50 lb weight limit, even with a Pelican 1560 that weighs 20 lbs empty. That includes packing ammo in a 1200 that's inside of it. Granted, the 1560 has a lower volume than the Pelican Air 1615, but I still don't think it would be that close.

By nature my wife and I are more minimalistic than most and tend to travel light with just a carry-on for most trips. This is a carry over from our days of motorcycle camping and only taking what was really needed because we didn't have room or the weight capacity to take EVERYTHING. Take what's needed, but even then we usually overpacked.

For a trip to Africa my 1560 is about half full before I throw in the 1200 with ammo. Daily laundry and no real need for fancy clothes keeps things simple. However, I do always pack a baggage scale to double check our weight in case my bride decides to pick up a few extra items on the trip.

EDIT - Put your optics where you want. Last trip we left the scopes in the rifle case but the binos were in the carry-on. Will probably do the same again on the next one, but that's up to you.

BeeMaa, have you had any issues with hard cases on small plane's? Odd shaped cargo areas on small puddle jumpers

Patagonia Wheeled Duffles or 5.11 wheeled duffle. No issues and tough.

BeeMaa, have you had any issues with hard cases on small plane's? Odd shaped cargo areas on small puddle jumpers
I've not flow in any small two seaters like a Super Cub, but I've been on plenty of small commuter aircraft that will have something like 18 total seats. Bonus on these flights is that you get a window AND aisle seat at the same time. :ROFLMAO: The only issue has been that my 1510 carry-on won't fit in the overhead compartment and needed to be checked as I was boarding. Not a big deal to me because it was the only bag I had.

I’m gonna jump in here, as I’ve flown with my Pelican 1615 on small regional airlines planes and Sessna Caravan. The Pelican Air is no problem at all on smaller planes, even say a 206. Wouldn’t work well in a super cub though…

I pack my Pelican air with more stuff than I need, including full 11 lb. Limit on ammo inside and still easy to stay at 50 lbs or less. The case is very tough, protects contents inside very well. I always carry binoculars and camera in my carry-on.

Typically, I travel with the PelicanAir, a Tuffpak for guns and a carry-on. Easy to get around and more room than I need for everything.

We travel like the Royal Family. For every trip Mama asks “how many suitcases and how much can they weigh?”

For Africa we use the Pelican Air 1615 in Yellow so it stands out. They are normally about $350 on Amazon.

Safe travels.

My Orvis (Gokey) duffle has been my constant companion on all hunting trips for 15 years. Very thick green cotton canvas with bridle leather straps and brass rivets. Most duffles cannot be overloaded or they fall apart, mine has had 70lbs or more in it countless times.

It’s my carry-on bag full of binos and my scopes, my lithium batteries, and high-value items. Because it’s unstructured, they never make me put it in the luggage-size-checker cage. It’s always 4x the max weight allowed and I’m never stopped.

Orvis sold off Gokey about 5 years ago. I recommend a vintage Orvis or a vintage Gokey. You can find them on eBay. MSRP was $300ish, I bought at an outlet for $100. Used they sell around $100.

edit: regardless if it says Orvis or Gokey or JW Hulme on it, you want the olive green one. If it is a bit more forest green colored and says Orvis, those are made in China and they’re junk. Search eBay and you’ll both types, same price, know the difference!
+1

4 pages and 70 posts, I am surprised that no one has recommended Tag Safari duffel bags:)

But that said, For air travel I personally no longer use duffel bags and almost exclusively use Pelican 1615 Air for checked luggage, Pelican 1510 for carry on / checked, and 5.11 backpack for carry on.

There are lots and lots of good quality duffle bags though. Redoxx, Orvis, Filson, Sitka, Kuiu, Cabelas, Duluth, and many more....

For years I used RedOxx duffles for hunting and business. Getting on and off Navy ships and subs where an empty suitcase would be the enemy, they were excellent. At the time we were carrying tons of technical kit in pelicans and zeros. Also about perfect.

Then along came wheeled luggage and duffles looked dumb unless absolutely necessary. Pelican Lites are currently the go to. For your rifles as well. Just know that some outfitters strongly prefer you bring a soft rifle case if bush planes are expected at the end of the line. Also baggage handlers seem to have an unwritten “see if you can break it” game on all continents. I had one pelican delivered to me destroyed. Custom foam cutouts can often save the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColinSutcl

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !