Travel duffle bags

I might jump in on this.

Only used to travel with a hand luggage.

How could i transport my firearm, ammo and knife?

All in one small suitcase / peli?

Cheers
Rifle & knives in one locked case. Clothes in another (unlocked) case. Ammo in it's own locked case that is then placed in the same case your clothes are in. Knives can go in either the case with your rifle or clothes, doesn't really matter as long as it's not your carry-on.

Rifle case limited to 50 lbs. Clothes case (with ammo case & ammo) limited to 50 lbs. Ammo limited to 11 lbs to include the AMMO & AMMO CASE!

Best American Duffel or BAD bags are awesome duffels. American made, lots of sizes and way more reasonably priced compared to Red Ox. I have the No. 3 with backpack straps and it’s a perfect carry on size. I plan to buy the No. 5 down the road.

I flown to SA the last two years, I used filson bags first year no problems. The handles do snap together and take off the single shoulder strap which takes two seconds. Watching this closely as I planned on taking a duffle stuffed in backpack as carry-on, then sticking a blue wildebeest hide in it as a checked bag on way back. Getting it tanned from last years trip

As I typically travel with archery equipment I was thinking of upgrading to the Sitka Nomad. Hopefully I'd be able to avoid the police station with the bow cases.

I’m have been using traditional suitcases for my travels, but have recently considered a duffle bag. Do any of you have any specific recommendations for or against a specific brand/bag?
Can't use a standard duffle bag in JNB. You can use the ones with a flat back but not the traditional ones. I've moved on to the Pelican Air suitcase and love it.

V.V: that “rule” would eliminate All Canvas (soft sided) luggage - they have No ridged sides and barely a “stiff” bottom. Is this airline specific?
No JNB specific. Their luggage handling system clogs up with duffel bags.

I have used a Cabelas Outfitter duffle bag with wheels for years. Don’t even know if they still make it but it has a handle that pulls out and a bottom compartment that zippers open to put things like boots and such that is separate from the main duffle. It is a great bag and made from heavy duty canvas and leather.
Couldnt agree more on these bags. I have 3 and they have lasted us over 17 years. I have spent money on the "latest & Greatest" bags that have been trashed in just one or two trips.

The one i use is from the german army. They are simple, but spacey and very durable. Prices on Ebay start from around 20 bucks. You should find them as BW or Bundeswehr Seesack.

I built mine. I made it to the dimensions to just fit onto carry on. But I also built it to fit perfectly in a canvas panyard on one side of a mule, which is how I do about 99 percent of my hunting. That said…. After flying with it and traveling to Africa I’m going to make several changes on the next one. I have a blue wildebeest hide that is going to be the foundation for my next safari duffel.
156EE303-CFD7-4767-A935-128F5F02F66B.jpeg
This one will still be my go to for horseback hunting. This was right after I built it.

My Orvis (Gokey) duffle has been my constant companion on all hunting trips for 15 years. Very thick green cotton canvas with bridle leather straps and brass rivets. Most duffles cannot be overloaded or they fall apart, mine has had 70lbs or more in it countless times.

It’s my carry-on bag full of binos and my scopes, my lithium batteries, and high-value items. Because it’s unstructured, they never make me put it in the luggage-size-checker cage. It’s always 4x the max weight allowed and I’m never stopped.

Orvis sold off Gokey about 5 years ago. I recommend a vintage Orvis or a vintage Gokey. You can find them on eBay. MSRP was $300ish, I bought at an outlet for $100. Used they sell around $100.

edit: regardless if it says Orvis or Gokey or JW Hulme on it, you want the olive green one. If it is a bit more forest green colored and says Orvis, those are made in China and they’re junk. Search eBay and you’ll both types, same price, know the difference!
I like the description of your canvas bag, but not a fan of your sneaking on heavy weight un known to the airline. Planes have limits, and you are not only putting yourself at risk, but everyone else. What for? As for carrying lithium batteries, please limit it and be very careful how you pack them so they cannot short. I was on an SAA plane from Sao Paulo to Johannesburg when over the Atlantic someone's carry on luggage caught fire, that was a close call. If that had been in the hold, all over. My last two flights out of Johannesburg I was specifically asked if I had lithium batteries in my checked in luggage.

I use a hard side suit case and a deluth canvas carry on. I put my clothes, binoculars, range finder, cameras etc in the hard side checked case. I wear a comfortable pair of hiking boots, (Merrill's)
I keep one change of clothes in my carry on, with what is on my back and in the carry on I can manage.
I just do not trust baggage handlers be nice to my checked bag with breakables inside to be a duffle. If I am just taking clothes then yes I will check a duffle. I have a old canvas duffle made by cabelas. prior to the ruin of it by bass pro

The best are the North Face expedition duffel bags which have been used for Everest climbers, Arctic adventures, Jungle exploration and such. They are bombproof. We have couple which we have been using for 20 years and they have been to the end of the earth and back. Highly recommended. Patagonia bags are a close second.

I use the Sitka large and small with wheels. For my AK bear hunt last spring, since the final flight was by Super Cub, we couldn't use a hard style bag so I put my soft duffel inside the large Sitka. Kept my 'street clothes' in the Sitka and kept it at the outfitter's garage and the soft duffel went in the plane.

Exterior (L×W×D)
32.58 x 18.40 x 11.02 in (82.8 x 46.7 x 28 cm)

Someone said they’re $500 - NOT ACCURATE. Price is $346.00 and you can get 10% off that.
Care to share where that is?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shirley599

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !