Ticks

M70375!

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hi Guys,
I am going to Botswana and SA in August, this is my first safari. Last summer I had a bad experience with Colorado spotted tick fever and was very sick and not back to normal for over a month. I am wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for effective tick repellent to be used in those areas.
Thanks guys.

Can't speak for Botswana, but have never seen one in Northern Namibia or the Caprivi. I have also never seen one in Mozambique or Zambia. The Limpopo was a different experience entirely - I would rather deal with Tsetse Flies in squadron strength than the pepper ticks in SA.

I treated my pants and shirts with Permethrin , according to instructions. Took a tick removal tool with me and wore underarmor boxers to keep the little devils off my undercarraige. never had any on myself, saw pepper ticks on my PH, this was in Limpopo last August. left my tick tools and other first aid items with my PH.

Soak all pants and shirts in permethrin rinse before your trip - as stated above, just follow the directions. Additionally, I use the Repel wipes every morning before getting dressed - whole body (except the under carriage). Then spray bottom of pants legs, and waistline with spray.
Tons of ticks in Limpopo in March/april, seemed to be less in September but still around. I’ll be there in July/Aug this year and will follow the same routine as I used before - zero ticks so far.

Permethrin, Permethrin, Permethrin on all of your clothing. Socks, pants, shirts, hat, if you wear any clothing spray it down with a couple coatings of it. You can get it at Walmart, Amazon, REI and pretty much any other outdoor store. Look in the camping area.

Then a good bug spray that has a high concentration of Deet.

On my first hunt I was sitting in a ant bed, that I didn't know about. The ants were all over my boots but stopped at the top and my socks and pants.

We also hunted a area that was solid with pepper ticks, two of us that used the Permethrin didn't have a single one on us, the one hunter who didn't use any was covered with them.

Also talk to your doctor and get some heavy antibiotics to take with you.

As stated above. Treat clothing good. Even jackets. Wipe lower legs, waist area and forearms. Spray pants cuffs again each day. I got tick fever on my 2019 trip to SA. 2 months to get over, I never want it again for sure. Get a prescription for doxycycline and take with you.

Can you fly internationally with Permethrin??
Checked or carry-on??

Permethrin will last on your clothes for at least a month, thru many washings. Treat your clothes before you leave and bring deet or another topical for your skin. last year in SA I remember having my pants covered in pepper ticks but they were all dead. Did not get a bite.

As stated above. Treat clothing good. Even jackets. Wipe lower legs, waist area and forearms. Spray pants cuffs again each day. I got tick fever on my 2019 trip to SA. 2 months to get over, I never want it again for sure. Get a prescription for doxycycline and take with you.
^^^^^^^^
sound advice
as a person who has had both tick fever and Encephalitis ( mosquitos )I definitely recommend spraying down socks and clothing with Permethrin and packing a bottle of deet to wipe down leg’s & arms to reduce the chance of ticks and I will probably be doing a round of doxycycline before and after our trip!
I am sure I am in the minority for frequent insect born illness, but I never ever again want to spend a couple months recovering from one
my uncle took his shirt off briefly on a hunt and after Getting home had skin bott fly larvae coming out of him ( I don’t know if Africa has bott flies?) but I was grateful not to have to suffer his fate after he didn’t use protective clothing and repellent .

Checked or carry-on??
yes no problem. I take two bottles in my checked baggage. Do not spray on your skin just your clothes…calls everything. I buy Sawyers but there are many brands in easy to use spray bottles

As those above have said, Permetherin, skin insect spray and/or wipes with deet, periodic tick checks throughout the day, doxycycline and you should be okay.

In 3 trips to RSA and 1 trip to Zimbabwe I haven't found any ticks on me even after handling the tick infested buff I killed in Zimbabwe.

Checked or carry-on??
Checked baggage if you’d want to take. No liquids greater than 3 ounces are allowed in carry on. However, if you treat 3 sets of clothes before going it will last entire hunt anyway. I think it’s good for 6 washings once dried into your clothes.

Hi Guys,
I am going to Botswana and SA in August, this is my first safari. Last summer I had a bad experience with Colorado spotted tick fever and was very sick and not back to normal for over a month. I am wondering if anyone would have any recommendations for effective tick repellent to be used in those areas.
Thanks guys.
Spray your hunting clothes with premetherin allow to dry then pack. You will be protected for your entire trip.

^^^^^^^^
sound advice
as a person who has had both tick fever and Encephalitis ( mosquitos )I definitely recommend spraying down socks and clothing with Permethrin and packing a bottle of deet to wipe down leg’s & arms to reduce the chance of ticks and I will probably be doing a round of doxycycline before and after our trip!
I am sure I am in the minority for frequent insect born illness, but I never ever again want to spend a couple months recovering from one
my uncle took his shirt off briefly on a hunt and after Getting home had skin bott fly larvae coming out of him ( I don’t know if Africa has bott flies?) but I was grateful not to have to suffer his fate after he didn’t use protective clothing and repellent .
Africa DOES have "bott flies", known as Putzi flies. I experienced these while living in Zimbabwe. They usually lay their eggs on wet clothing.
Laundry is usually dried on an outdoor clothesline but should ALWAYS then be hot ironed which kills the eggs. This includes items we wouldn't normally iron . . bath towels, socks, etc. I don't believe bare skin is an attractant to Putzi flies, your uncle most likely came in contact with the larvae which then burrow into the skin via his clothing or perhaps a bath towel. The safari operators in areas where these flies occur will always hot iron your laundry. It's a fairly uncommon problem.

Africa DOES have "bott flies", known as Putzi flies. I experienced these while living in Zimbabwe. They usually lay their eggs on wet clothing.
Laundry is usually dried on an outdoor clothesline but should ALWAYS then be hot ironed which kills the eggs. This includes items we wouldn't normally iron . . bath towels, socks, etc. I don't believe bare skin is an attractant to Putzi flies, your uncle most likely came in contact with the larvae which then burrow into the skin via his clothing or perhaps a bath towel. The safari operators in areas where these flies occur will always hot iron your laundry. It's a fairly uncommon problem.
Anbessa Gedai: Well the HOT IRON (on everything) explains why each morning in Tanzania - my Safari clothes looked better then my Wedding Tuxedo !! ….at the end of 10 days the shirts were stiffer then cardboard and had permanent creases that lasted for years….

Permethrin.

I buy the concentrate and dilute it to 0.5% and spray my clothes & gear. Let it dry completely and it will be good for your trip. I use a half-gallon pump sprayer because pulling a trigger on a spray bottle for a lot of stuff gets tiresome.

Take an aerosol can of 0.5% to pack in your bag to reapply to your boots and pant legs when on your trip.

I’m gearing up for turkey season and that familiar smell has overtaken the garage for a little while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamisonDel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you