Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I bought some loaded ammunition for my 400 H&H. The case stuck and I had to knock it out. I pulled one bullet and measured everything. It all seemed to be in order. And, while I don't know the powder used, the weight of the charge was well within the range I would expect.

From my pictures the cartridge seemed to stick at the belt. The case walls don't seem damaged, save on scrape on one side. So, I am questioning the quality of the brass.

The rifle shot great with my own hand loads FYI.

Has anyone any experience with RCC brass?
20240517_141455.jpg

20240517_141313.jpg

20240517_141309.jpg

@Bert the Turtle

I am responding to your question in my 400 H&H thread to keep the reloading info together

This is a picture of my habdload after firing
20240517_183525.jpg

Here is the RCC I had to tap out

20240517_141313.jpg

I agree the latter looks like it was dragged across concrete. My handloads all look good save a few scratches.

20240517_183957.jpg

I shot 7 of my handloads before chambering this loaded ammo that stuck.

RCC on the left and Qual-cart on the right

20240517_184156.jpg

@Bert the Turtle

I am responding to your question in my 400 H&H thread to keep the reloading info together

This is a picture of my habdload after firing
View attachment 606442

Here is the RCC I had to tap out

View attachment 606444

I agree the latter looks like it was dragged across concrete. My handloads all look good save a few scratches.

View attachment 606446

I shot 7 of my handloads before chambering this loaded ammo that stuck.
Clearly the problem isn’t your rifle or your handloads. Something is sketchy about that ammo.

I’ll bring my comment over from the other thread- hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will be able to give you a more solid analysis:

RCC cases were lathe turned (company out of business). I’m not a machinist or metallurgist so take my comments for what they are worth: drawn cases are work hardened by the drawing process. Is it possible the bases on a turned case were not as hard as they should be and expanded more/rebounded less after firing and that’s why they got stuck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GustavoSli

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)