Swift A frame unavailable, whats next best?

Bill claims a multitude of reasons from Covid to lack of quality employees…in other words the same challenges that face many businesses in the USA.
He did tell me that I can expect them to start releasing new ammo by the end of the month starting with the popular calibers(375, 416, 458). It will be at least a year for the less popular calibers(according to him) 404, 500 Jeff, 505 Gibbs.
He definitely started looking and acting his age at this convention and I’m concerned with the future of Swift. I hope they have a good succession plan in place.

HH
Thank you I hope to get 4 boxes I have some now also but I want to shoot and practice before I go of course. This is pretty frustrating.

I wouldn't hesitate to sling a TSX at a buffalo. In fact, I intend to do just that...at least sometime in my life.

We spoke with their head of Ops at DSC and what he said was pretty much confirmed earlier in this thread. I also have a home town connection to the #2 guy who wasn’t at DSC but did go to Shot. To the comment about Bill, I think their succession plans are good.

As for why so far behind, besides Covid, supply chain, and people issues a comment was made that ‘Bill’s all about OEM’s for the big guys’. Military supplies?

We have a few boxes of .375 cal A-frames in stock (only 250gr right now)

We also have a great price on Norma Oryx bullets right now - roughly 50% off.

Additionally, we are going to keep carrying CEB solids (have those in .375).

Lastly, we are adding some other high end bullets to the inventory over the next few months. More to follow, but hoping to have a lot of the stuff hunters are looking for as time goes by.

I have a decent supply of swift a frame ammo in 375h&h and 416 rigby but at this point Im left with about 1 hunting season of both then what? Cant find them anywhere. Primarily for cape buffalo. What is your thought? Hornady seems to be available but ....
@EarlT
Silly question, can you get your hands on some Woodleighs somewhere.
Bob

I have a decent supply of swift a frame ammo in 375h&h and 416 rigby but at this point Im left with about 1 hunting season of both then what? Cant find them anywhere. Primarily for cape buffalo. What is your thought? Hornady seems to be available but ....
Depends on what you are hunting. For all but the cats I love Barnes TSX. For the cats love Nosler Partitions

Yes, lots of good choices much more available than the Swifts.
Not really. There are no 300 gr Northfork SS’s for sale just the softer PP’s. Woodleigh and Norma oryx are both very soft not comparable to a TBBC or an A-Frame more similar to a Hornady DGX. I have not seen 300 gr TBBC for sale from Federal in a very long time. Really all that’s available in USA for a premium expanding 300 gr bullet are Barnes TSX or maybe cutting edge (but I have no experience with their bullet).

Point being everyone have their own preferences, all good and valid, but it may lead you to multiple viable alternatives and a challenge to choose just one. I'd ask my Ph and go from there.

In the Houston Safari conv. this year I talked to a dozen or so hunters and Ph some had double digits elephants and buffaloes under their belt. Their recommendation was unanimous, any modern softs should be good enough. Shot placement and first shot right trumps everything else. Few of them of course recommended a solid as the second shot, like Woodleigh FMJ's.
Majority spoke highly of NF both SS and CPS , BArnes and A frames, you will not go wrong with either as long as you cover the basics.

I've used the Swift A-Frames almost exclusively since the 90's, but here in South Africa they've been unavailable since 2019. I've since loaded and tested a number of bullets from various manufacturers, and found that our locally produced Rhino Solid Shank bullets have virtually identical terminal performance to the A-Frame. Outstanding bullet for large game species at < 350 yards!

If they're available in the USA, try a few and see how they shoot in your rifles.

However, for Cape Buffalo, there are very few bullets that can match the Barnes TSX.
For the big cats, a good old heavy for calibre Nosler PT is an excellent choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bafoyo4859

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.