Swift A frame unavailable, whats next best?

EarlT

AH member
Reaction score
I have a decent supply of swift a frame ammo in 375h&h and 416 rigby but at this point Im left with about 1 hunting season of both then what? Cant find them anywhere. Primarily for cape buffalo. What is your thought? Hornady seems to be available but ....

Bought some 180 grain 30-cal A-frames and sirocco ii's at SCI this weekend. I believe what I overheard that 416 a-frames would be available around may. I don't know if that will extend to any other big bore calibers. That doesn't help much but it may offer some hope they're coming.

I’m a big fan of Federal premium Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. Always preformed as intended. This one was recovered from a cape buffalo taken in 2021.

Image1707109075.482488.jpg

Loaded ammo or components for reloading?
Either way there is plenty of good options, Horandy, Federal, Barnes, Woodleigh, North Fork
Yes, lots of good choices much more available than the Swifts.

I have a decent supply of swift a frame ammo in 375h&h and 416 rigby but at this point Im left with about 1 hunting season of both then what? Cant find them anywhere. Primarily for cape buffalo. What is your thought? Hornady seems to be available but ....

When it comes to buffalo in particular, a more habitual user of A-frame bullets I would recommend as alternative the TSX bullets from Barnes. Personally, I have shot very few buffalos with these bullets, but I refer to the experience of PH's that I know.

I have shot buffalos with bullets from Hornady, classic SP and Interbond, but with the cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum. With the cartridges 375 H&H Magnum or 416 Rigby, I would consider using such SP bullets, although the new DGX series might be suitable for this, but I have no experience with that kind of bullets.

Barnes TSX
Below is the Barnes 400 grain .404J TSX used on my buffalo kill in 2018. Loaded by my son with 72 grains of IMR 4064, Primer CCI 250, COL 3.50 Hornady brass, at 2150 FPS. Impact was center of chest, with the bullet coming to rest in the stomach. The animal immediately went down, got up turned around and ran 30 yards before rolling over on the right side dead. No follow up shot necessary.

Barnes TXS on Buffalo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke with Swift at the DSC. He thinks the 375 in 300gr will be ready to ship end of February. They already have the bullets. If interested in getting the ammunition go to their website and put in your order. They will contact you when they are ready to ship.

Barnes TSX is readily available and excellent for anything except elephant, lion & leopard.

IMG_1524.jpeg

Currently, the only cartridges which Federal has in stock that are loaded with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet… are for the .458 Winchester Magnum.

Rhino Bullet has a good feedbacks, looks like trophy bounded bear claw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomoha

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.