Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, IBO,
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, and USA
Let me lay some groundwork of how we 1st came to be on this adventure Last year at this time my son's and father-in-law and I were in Limpopo when we returned my wife got so tired of hearing about our trip she said if she doesn't get to go she doesn't want to hear about it anymore lol So 4 days after Christmas I booked a trip with @KMG Hunting Safaris.

So let's get started: we left our home in Virginia drove to Raleigh NC, we chose to fly out of Raleigh because it offered the shortest layover in Newark. I mear 6 hrs. ....We boarded our flight to Johannesburg and arrived to the greetings of Mr. X and we were shuttled to Afton House for steak and some rest.
20220829_060948.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 2

We are shuttled back to the airport for our flight to East London where we are met by one of the finest young men and hunters I have met for some time. Marius's right hand man Nick. Little did I know he would spend the next 10 days trying to Kill me....lol....if I had not got myself in the best condition my age would allow I belive he may have succeeded.

20220829_165036.jpg

Day 3 first hunting day

Wanted the wife to be up first as she was Rifle hunting and she was excited to get started. Her primary goal was Nyala and nick said he knew where to look for old bull and off we went....the adventure begins...we head out with Nick, Timba, and his dogs Buddy and Boots....a hour into the hunt and her bull is spoted....the stick dance is started....on the sticks off the sticks repeated a few times, finally he stands and a shot was fired....contact was made and he heads for the river in which he goes, a second shot was fired and the fun begins....it's 830am, it's cool out and the water is cold....in we go as the wife wants her Nyala, as you are aware happy wife happy life...

20220830_084316.jpg
20220830_084427.jpg
20220830_084316.jpg
20220907_100015.jpg

Day 3 afternoon

Spent evening chasing Blesbok with my bow and learning hard lessons about the effects of East Cape winds on arrow flight...I am a slow learner so it was going to take a minute for me to learn my lesson....lol.....rifle or bow understand wind drift before you get there.

Second hunting day

We get up early and head out to look for an old Impala for the wife, Nick knows of a big one that several other hunters have chased this season but were not fortunate enough to take....wife's first lesson on wind....280 plus yards in heavy winds resulted in 2 misses...the hunting God's were kind and he did not run off and we were able to close some distance to 120 yards she made a fine shot and she had her second trophy and a huge one to boot....

20220831_162456.jpg

Second evening hunting

Spent the evening chasing blesbok and learning about the wind.....slow learner....

Day 3 morning

Wife opted to rest so Nick and I head off to chase Blesbok, we managed to find on old ram that was booted from the herd that was running with a a dry yew and the chase was on....and I mean on....all morning....he would not run far from his spot but he stayed far enough away that combined with the wind resulted in a 60 yards clean miss, he did not really know he was shot, bow, luck had him 20 yards closer to were we were at a second shot was taken a heart was broken and I had my first trophy of the trip, an ancient old fellow that I was proud to have....View attachment 488546View attachment 488545
20220901_145901.jpg

Day 3 evening

Little did I know this was going to be a great day of hunting for me as we head out to chase Hartebeest, we immediately find 2 loan Bulls running alone we are able to put ourselves in a position for them and us to meet in the middle and a second heart is broken and he like the Blesbok fall within sight and I am pumped....we set for pics and this resulted in one of favorites as one of the workers helped with the pics...dogs are given side eye as they would like to do some work...

20220901_161807.jpg
20220901_161054.jpg

Day 4

Day 4 was spent looking for a Kudu for the wife, lots.of Bulls seen but none taken as they were to young...
20220902_063840.jpg

Day 5 morning

We are up very early so we can head out to Port Alfred to hunt the animal set this up to pursue....the Blue Duiker.....the management of these little guys is amazing, they only take 20 a year and quantity of land if enormous. A spa day was arranged for the wife and Nick and I were off to sit in a blind....the only time I would do so on this trip, rest were spot and stalk....the morning was uneventful as Nick suspected there was a cat in the area as we could hear hounds in the distance , and there was a bushbuck steady blowing. We sneak out for lunch and a stretch...lunch was steerburgers, I don't really eat fast food but thse burgers were worth it. We sneak back to the blind after and were treated to our first sighting....a female, she drinks and moves off...this was enough to get me really excited and refocused. Two hours later and I am able to achieve my primary goal, it took Nick 2 seconds to make the call as he hissed at me "that's him"....the duiker was vibrating he was so nervous and I wasted no time in putting an arrow in him....he does not run a step...and Nick and I are in the blind shaking, giggling like school girls and hugging....yes there was hugging....lol....supper proud of this guy and he is a STUD....little Giant.

20220902_162729.jpg

Day 5 evening

We leave for a new lodge so we can chase black wildebeest and gemsbok...this would prove to be some of the toughest hunting I have ever done....

20220904_083821.jpg

Day 6 morning

Day starts with looking for a copper springbuck for the wife and quest was on the stick dance was done and a beautiful copper belongs to the wife

20220903_094347.jpg

Day 6 evening

This would start a day and and a half of of Herculean effort on Nick's part as he and I chased black wildebeest .....we found a lone Bull to chase and chase we did ....Can't remember when I have been that tired or that frustrated, BW are nuts and hard to hunt....
Resized_IMG-20220903-WA0004.jpg

Day 7 entire day

We chased WB all day, I do mean chased and I do mean all day, we found the lone Bull that we chased the day prior, was not hard to do in the big open country we were in and finding him would be the only easy thing we did all day. When he eventually got close enough to some cattle that we were able to use them for cover a shot was made and this would be end to what was the toughest hunt I have ever been on. Nick is to be commended for keeping me going and encouraged, this young man is a hunting animal.
20220904_160848.jpg

Day 8 morning

Gemsbok, the mountain these animals lived on was ridiculously steep and uninviting, yet very first thing that morning we spot an old Bull, and Yes I keep saying they are old and that because they are, they don't shoot young animals at KMG, we march across a long valley climb the mountain and are in position for the shot, and this would be the shit shot of the trip for me, shoot him high and have give some lead poisoning to finish him....beautiful animal that had to be brought out in 2 pieces, did I mention the mountain, proud of him.

20220905_141908.jpg

Day 9

Spent the day hunting with wife, she, unfortunately missed her wildebeest clean in the am and the mature kudu we found in the pm would not present shot.....
20220908_061828.jpg

Day 10 morning

This would prove to be one of the best hunting days that I have ever had, I have wanted a bushbuck since I started reading about hunting in Africa, Nick found us a place to go chase them.....we arrived at the cattle farm we would chase them on and we were fortunate enough to find a stalkable one for 3/4 miles away. Nick took 0 seconds to decide he was the one and off we go, we circle and get the wind ond use cover to get to 122 yards, and then it was on.....we hit our stomachs, not the first time this week that Nick has me Belly crawling this week, 80 yards later we are at 42 yards, I am able to come to my knees and make the shot....he mine...he runs 10 yards and stands and I shoot him again, believe the first shot was good but the opertunity was there and I took it....as I said he is mine....so proud of this guy and the cherry on top of what was an incredible adventure.

20220908_104154.jpg

Day 10 afternoon

We have time so the wife decides she wants a blesbok and off we go....a hammer was found and after some cat and mouse and some hard hunting by the wife he was hers....he is a friggin" toad.

20220908_183254.jpg

Conclusion

This was an excellent adventure the animals were many, mature and beautiful. Food was excellent and diverse and wild game was on the menu in one form or another every evening. The terain was diverse , challenging, and some of the most ruggedly beautiful I have ever seen. If you are a bow humter or any hunter for that matter but a bow hunter in particular you need to get with Marius at KMG and have him put you with Nick , this guy has a true passion for bowhunting that is so strong it is palpable.....He will find you your trophies and put you in position to be successful.

Disclaimer

This hunt is hard, you gotta go being prepared to put it out there as this is spot and stalk hunting in the mountains and open plain.....get yourself in the best shape you can be in and KNOW how your weapon preforms in HEAVY WIND.....this has been one of my most satisfying hunting experiences ever....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renxingxin15

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.