SOUTH AFRICA: 1st Safari No Huge Kudu But Still A Success!

Axle2010

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Well gentlemen I'm back from my first ever safari with 7 animals in 4 days and had a blast. I was with Hunt African Safaris and have nothing but great things to say about Johnny and and his crew. I decided not to take my new Weatherby 300WM I bought specifically for the trip and instead used his 300 CZ. My first animal was a nice Blesbuck we spotted from that road and was a short stalk and 250 years shot away. This was my first hunted animal period, not just in Africa and I was shocked at not having any buck fever at all. I won't bore yall with details but I got the Blesbuck, 2 Impala (one is huge), Zebra, a beautiful Blue Wildebeest, Springbuck, and finally on the last day a decent Kudu.

IMG-20230419-WA0000 (1)1.jpg
20230419_171947.jpg
20230421_070218.jpg
20230421_120243.jpg
20230422_130310.jpg
20230422_165941.jpg
20230423_095004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You hunted just super animals, congrats on your first trip! What area were you hunting?

Awesome! Thanks for sharing

Congratulations.

Great trophies, the picture of the impala is awesome!! Thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Nothing wrong with that kudu. Are there bigger? Yes, but much bigger don’t grow on trees. The most important thing is you had a great experience. Nice springbok. Now to start planning your next trip.

Nothing wrong with that kudu. Are there bigger? Yes, but much bigger don’t grow on trees. The most important thing is you had a great experience. Nice springbok. Now to start planning your next trip.
Crazy thing about that Kudu is we walked MILES hunting them from day 1 and never even had a shot, the 2 we saw were moving so he didn't let me shoot. Then this one was shot not 50 yards from a road 30 minutes before dark on the last evening! I'm going back May 2025 for Eland, Sable, Nyala, and Bushbuck.

Heck ya, I woulda shot that Kudu too!. They are all great animals
Well gentlemen I'm back from my first ever safari with 7 animals in 4 days and had a blast. I was with Hunt African Safaris and have nothing but great things to say about Johnny and and his crew. I decided not to take my new Weatherby 300WM I bought specifically for the trip and instead used his 300 CZ. My first animal was a nice Blesbuck we spotted from that road and was a short stalk and 250 years shot away. This was my first hunted animal period, not just in Africa and I was shocked at not having any buck fever at all. I won't bore yall with details but I got the Blesbuck, 2 Impala (one is huge), Zebra, a beautiful Blue Wildebeest, Springbuck, and finally on the last day a decent Kudu.View attachment 530865View attachment 530866View attachment 530867View attachment 530868View attachment 530869View attachment 530870View attachment 530871heck ya, I woulda shot that Kudu too! They are all great animals

Congrats !

Throw in a Mountain Zebra and this matches my 2nd Safari wish list. My first Africa hunt was in August 2022, we are going back in August of 2024.
Great list! My guide said the mountain Zebra are a real pita to export from his area for some reason and I like the shadow stripes on the Burchells so that worked well. I need to include the Oryx since I didn't get one this trip

Great list! My guide said the mountain Zebra are a real pita to export from his area for some reason and I like the shadow stripes on the Burchells so that worked well. I need to include the Oryx since I didn't get one this trip
Yep! I got a Gemsbok last time, #1 on my list on our first trip. I came within a heartbeat of getting a shot at a mountain Zebra twice last time but it didn't quite work out.
20220823013527_IMG_0179.JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations on a great trip! I'm glad to hear that you have your next trip planned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WildWill

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….