Sling Use Tutorial

Bert the Turtle

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Over the years, I've seen quite a number of threads that either start or devolve into a discussion of whether or not to use a sling. In hearing some (many) of the comments, it has become clear to me proper use of the sling is not universally understood. This thread is not intended to take a position regarding whether or not a sling impedes one's progress through brush, nor to debate whether or not to use one.

It is solely intended to show safe and effective use of a sling and to address the following points that I have heard over the years:

1: that the unslinging of the rifle involves in some way a loss of muzzle control and/or the muzzle pointing in unknown and potentially unsafe directions.

2: that unslinging and bringing the rifle to bear is a slow process. In order to preempt any need for anyone to comment that a rifle in the hands is faster to bear than is a slung rifle, I will say up front that you are correct. A slung rifle is analogous to a holstered pistol, and just as a drawn pistol is always faster than a holstered pistol (given the same person), a rifle in a ready position will always be faster than a slung rifle given that a slung rifle passes through a ready position en route to a firing position. '

If I deviate in any way from safe and efficient use of the sling, that is solely down to my execution- I was taught properly. I am not interested in name-dropping so if anyone is interested in learning directly from the source without any errors I may have introduced over the years, I will respond to PMs so that you can reach out on your own.

Final caveat is that I am left-handed. I will provide the commentary using "dominant" and "non-dominant" hand; readers are on their own regards transposing the videos in their minds.

Screenshot 2023-12-24 at 6.32.57 AM Large.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Turns out I need a “how to post a video tutorial ”

This first video demonstrates moving a rifle from the firing position to the dominant-side, muzzle up positions and then unslinging the rifle and bringing it to bear. This is done slowly and deliberately for clarity.

Please note the following:

1) the muzzle moves from the target directly to the vertical position, at no time does it point in an unknown or unsafe direction
2) the rifle remains in my non-dominant hand and therefore under complete control until such time as I have obtained a secure grip on the sling with my dominant hand. My dominant hand holds the sling at the sling swivel so that I maintain control over the rifle. The rifle doesn't swing about by the sling: it is placed in a slung position under control.

Unslinging is the reverse of the above operation:

1) The dominant hand pushes the sling forward, creating a space for the non-dominant hand to reach through to get a grip on the rifle. This also secures the rifle firmly against the back so that it is in a consistent position. I find it helpful to bend forward a bit when performing this motion.
2) The non-dominant hand grips the rifle. From this point forward, the rifle is being held and controlled by the non-dominant hand; it does not swing about by the sling
3) The dominant hand reaches across the body in order to move the arm out of the way of the rifle. The rifle remains vertical while it is taken off the shoulder.
4) once the rifle is in line with the target, the muzzle is rotated from the vertical to the target. It remains pointed in a safe direction throughout the process.

Even in this slow and deliberate demonstration, it should be clear that it takes less time to unsling the rifle and bring it to what is essentially a carry position than it takes for a PH or tracker to deploy the sticks. If desired, the sling can be caught with the small finger; this attenuates it swinging and helps keep it out of the way of the sticks.

Last edited:
This next video shows weak side, muzzle down. Starting from a firing position, the rifle is slung, then brought to bear. This is done slowly and deliberately for clarity.

Please note the following:

1) the muzzle moves from the target directly to the vertical position, at no time does it point in an unknown or unsafe direction
2) the rifle remains in my dominant hand and therefore under complete control until such time as I have obtained a secure grip on the sling with my non-dominant hand. My non-dominant hand holds the sling at the sling swivel so that I maintain control over the rifle. The rifle doesn't swing about by the sling: it is placed into a slung position under control. The dominant hand ensures that I do not sweep my own feet while slinging the rifle.

The rifle is now slung muzzle down; the top of the rifle faces rearward.

Unslinging is the reverse of the above operation:

1) The non-dominant hand acquires a grip on the rifle.
2) Using the non-dominant hand, the muzzle is simply pointed directly at the target. During this motion the non-dominant hand rotates so that the top of the rifle faces appropriately up.
3) As the rifle nears a shooting position, the dominant hand grips the rifle and pulls it into the shoulder. Simultaneously, the non-dominant hand achieves a shooting grip.

At all times, the muzzle remains pointed in a safe direction. It is clear even in this slow and deliberate demonstration that the non-dominant, muzzle down carry can be brought to bear faster than the muzzle up, dominant-side carry.

This video demonstrates strong side, muzzle up brought to bear at normal speed. I like to control the sling with my small finger of my non-dominant hand. This adds a little extra motion and therefore likely adds a bit of time. This is a personal quirk born of shooting in windy areas; I was not taught this but rather adopted it on my own to help reduce sling swing in wind. I find that the sling swinging adds motion to the rifle.

Again, the point is not to claim deploying a slung rifle is as fast as deploying a rifle already to hand. It is merely to demonstrate that unslinging a rifle is a quick and safe process. A slung rifle is analogous to a holstered pistol. If imminent use is anticipated, one would unsling a rifle just as one would unholster a pistol.

2: that unslinging and bringing the rifle to bear is a slow process. In order to preempt any need for anyone to comment that a rifle in the hands is faster to bear than is a slung rifle, I will say up front that you are correct. ..

I fail to see how speed is an issue for African hunting anyway. One would not be bringing the rifle up while being surprised except in very rare occasions if at all. One usually has plenty of time towards the end of the stalk.

Over the years, in many threads, I have read it many times that people are concerned that a slung rifle is somehow too slow to bring into action. I am trying to demonstrate that the degree to which it is slower than a rifle in hand is approximately the same as the difference between a holstered pistol vs a pistol in hand. I agree with you 100% that this is not important in practical terms for hunting but only intended this thread to be educational as to the proper use of the sling rather than trying to convince people to use one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MayJason

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg