Shipping a Disassembled Shotgun Question

Awage528

Reaction score
I tried to ship a Disassembled shotgun through both UPS and FedEX and
neither would ship it without an FFL to and from the destination. It has
been a long time since I shipped a gun but I was able to ship one without
an FFL. Does anyone have any insight into how to ship a shotgun say that
you want repair or worked on. Thanks so much

A non FFL can ship legally ship a long gun USPS. I ran into a Post Master with close to 40 years on the job that had to be shown in the regulations that this was in fact legal.

A while back UPS announced that they would no longer allow firearms shipments by a non FFL. Not sure about FedEX but it sounds like they do not want to be out "woked" and followed suit.

A non FFL can ship legally ship a long gun USPS. I ran into a Post Master with close to 40 years on the job that had to be shown in the regulations that this was in fact legal.

A while back UPS announced that they would no longer allow firearms shipments by a non FFL. Not sure about FedEX but it sounds like they do not want to be out "woked" and followed suit.
FEDEX is way worse. Denied me an account unless my shipping was 10K or more a year.

With all the UPS and Fedex changes. Yes USPS is only way you can ship unless! You can get the gunshop you want to send it to, send you a prepaid label.
We only ship firearms and ammo UPS now, FedEx is crazy for the loop holes you have to go thru to ship with them.

Formerly the way to jump around FFL nonsense was to ship it to yourself at the desired destination. Or just use some generic description for package contents like "bike parts" or "tubing."

Little by little they are choking every possible way for us to do business or enjoy our sport. Shipping, airlines not shipping trophies, airline warehouses taking advantage of the situation and charging outrageous fees, and so on. Crazy world we live in.

Formerly the way to jump around FFL nonsense was to ship it to yourself at the desired destination. Or just use some generic description for package contents like "bike parts" or "tubing."
What could possibly go wrong???

I tried shipping a barrel blank at UPS, and got a no can do, needed to be an FFL. Shipped my most recent sold firearm USPS, no problem. UPS follows Dick's Sporting Goods in my blacklist.

Nearly every firearm I've sold on AH has been shipped via USPS with a few exceptions where the buyers FFL required it to be shipped from my FFL. Even then, I think they may have used USPS. So far, everything has gone well...knock on wood.

Am I scared? Yep, every single time. In truth, I don't believe USPS gives any worse handling than is offered (currently) by UPS or FedEx. It's a crapshoot anyway you look at it. If you run the gauntlet enough times, the likelihood of having a damaged firearm will go up.

That said, may all of your transactions go smoothly.

BTW - If you are counting on trying to collect any money resulting from a damaged firearm during shipping from UPS, FedEx, USPS or any other carrier...good luck.

You need to insure your firearms the same way you would insure a car or house. There are a few companies out there that offer good rates on these types of services, but I've never used one. Although I will be looking into something like this in the future.

Its been about a year since I shipped a rifle. I've used UPS multiple times. I've never had to have an FFL on my end do it. But what I have discovered is that it can't be shipped by your local "UPS Store". Which I of course have in my small town.

I had to go to an actual Customer Care Center which was a half hour away. It was the same with some ammo I sold on here a while back, couldn't do it at my local store.

I have only had to file one (thankfully) insurance claim with USPS on a damaged firearm. After initially being denied you will see a portion of the letter that accompanied the payment. Seriously, this is real.

20240406_103003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, and how are you supposed to know that?

Wow, and how are you supposed to know that?
The first part they are describing non NFA items which everyone should know. The part about how to describe your "firearm" for a claim is not in the regulations so no way to know if that is in fact, the way to go?

After various bobbles with FedEx I now always ship long guns via USPS. Never a problem.

I have a nice little Kimber 45 ACP that I need to send for work, but I don't think USPS will ship handguns?

It's been a couple of year since I used FeEx to ship a firearm. (1) You had to ship it from a real FedEx office and not a former Kinko's copy shop that are now FedEx's. (2) You had to have a copy of the receivers FFL placed in the box at FedEX and then seal the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheLevitz

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani