Safest African Country for a first Safari

Namibia. Great hunting to be had. It’s very easy importing a firearm. After/before your hunt you could hire a 4x4 and do a bit of touring.
we did that this year.
My only regret is that I haven’t done the same on my previous trips to Namibia.
Ohooo man dose that bring back a few memories lol

The only thing with Nam is it can get bloody hot! Not sure why the temps are in Minnesota?

Been to Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth, all over Zambia to include the boonies AND the towns/city, went all through Addis Ababa, through Malawi and a bunch of other places and never ever once did I feel unsafe. Never once had an issue with a single person. Maybe I just look too broke and too tough to pick on lol

The only thing with Nam is it can get bloody hot! Not sure why the temps are in Minnesota?
In June it would be near freezing every morning and up to T shirt weather but still cool during the day

Botswana is the most politically stable country in southern Africa but not the cheapest for Safaris. Namibia is fairly stable too and a reasonable priced safari can be found there. The faster you can get away from the big cities you should be relatively safe. Mozambique however, there I would fly everywhere.

My daughter spent a month in Victoria Falls and never had a problem. Great area, lots of game, some tame and a lot not.

Any of the S. African countries mentioned above. I think Moz would be best suited for a future trip...I had no problems on dirt roads in Zim! :p "It's the asphalt ones that bite you." The Zaka road is a wonderful trip down into the Save from Harare, as is the dirt road W. of the N1 that leads to the BVC! The real killer asphalt is up north, but the trips from the Caprivi, Namibia, through the parks in Botswana and Zim over to Vic Falls make it completely worthwhile!!! At 69, if any health issues, hunting closer to medi-facilities may also be a chief safety concern, but there are plenty of hunting opps not too too far from major cities in Namibia, SA and Zim! If money is no option, then the Tanzania trip (of a lifetime) is something to consider! Even relaxing by the (Indian or Atlantic) ocean prior to, during or after is possible, if desired...

Another way to look at safety could be malaria and ticks. Nearly all of Namibia and South Africa are malaria free. Coastal and brush areas of South Africa have a significant amount of ticks. Namibia has relatively few ticks from what I’ve seen and I’d suspect the Kalahari areas in South Africa would have very few ticks as well. Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Tanzania will all fall into malaria zones.

................... Can anyone give me some advice as to which Country they consider traveling to that is SOMEWHAT safe….. ..............

People (Crime), Diseases, Animals, Roads .....
These issues will be addressed by the PH/Outfitter, your Doctor/Travel Clinic, the PH/Outfitter, the PH/Outfitter.

You are not heading to downtown Chicago, etc.
images.jpeg

This is where you are headed.
South .jpg

You are in the care of a PH during your entire safari. It's their job to keep you safe no matter where you are headed.

Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Mocambique, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Uganda will all have issues of some fashion.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance. I have no trouble driving myself through South Africa, Namibia, or Botswana. If I had the time I'd give Zambia and Zimbabwe a go. The others, not on my radar.
Hunting in any of them with a professional, no problem. Get a trusted outfit and go hunting.

Skip the countries that are actually having large scale internal wars or whatevers: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, the Central African Republic (CAR), the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Ethiopia, Mozambique have some localized conflicts. AH Members have hunted both and been just fine. I felt just fine in Mozambique and would go into Ethiopia in a heart beat.

Blah Blah stats. (You are not heading into high crime areas so grain of salt.)
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 21.47.27.png

Good luck with your research.

If afraid because of government published travel warnings- I suppose you can just go nowhere. Some international activities/destinations to avoid should be obvious. For example in RSA: Bar hopping on your own between Johannesburg and Pretoria should be an obvious no-no! I’ll guarantee casual travel through parts of LA is far more dangerous than any travel I’ve done in Africa or SE Asia. Going on a paid safari hunt to any of the common destinations should be of little worry. I was in Mozambique just after their long civil war. There was still palpable tension among the warring factions there but they had little interest in hassling our non-local (non-political) hunting safari activities. Matter fact, the rural locals there were very friendly and helpful. The most laid back area in Africa that I’ve noticed has been rural Botswana. But I’m not afraid of traveling in most all of rural Africa. One secret is not looking for trouble in the first place and respecting the local ways. Speaking softly with a non-pushy attitude does wonders in most travel. Things are done there on Africa time- not California time or New York time. On safari, your PH and his staff will lead the way- pay attention to them and you should have no trouble.

Last edited:
It all depends...
How much money you want to spend and what do you want to do?
You can be safe anywhere or not.
However if you are after a reasonably priced PG safari definitely Namibia where you can easily travel by yourself.
If you are after DG probably Botswana followed by Tanzania and Uganda.
SA is a great convenient option and you'll be safe there as long as you are in the care of your PH and don't travel or wander around on your own unless you know exactly what you are doing and what's going on in the area.
Good Luck.

Ouganda is only safe inside the country. The border areas, especially that with Congo, are to be avoided in all cases.

When it comes to security in Africa, you have to differentiate between two types of unsafety. Like everywhere, there is street and general crime, more or less depending on the country, but in some countries there is also the special danger that comes from the terrorism and similar, which is not always visible at first glance. What is less dangerous for the locals can turn out to be completely different for foreigners who can become targeted victims of attacks and especially abduction with an uncertain outcome. Anyone who wants to take these risks in some countries should be warned. There will not always be governments that will pay a ransom or send their special forces to free the hostage.

These issues will be addressed by the PH/Outfitter, your Doctor/Travel Clinic, the PH/Outfitter, the PH/Outfitter.

View attachment 556494

View attachment 556495

You are in the care of a PH during your entire safari. It's their job to keep you safe no matter where you are headed.

Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, Mocambique, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Uganda will all have issues of some fashion.

Everyone has a different risk tolerance. I have no trouble driving myself through South Africa, Namibia, or Botswana. If I had the time I'd give Zambia and Zimbabwe a go. The others, not on my radar.
Hunting in any of them with a professional, no problem. Get a trusted outfit and go hunting.

Skip the countries that are actually having large scale internal wars or whatevers: Burkina Faso, Cameroon, the Central African Republic (CAR), the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Ethiopia, Mozambique have some localized conflicts. AH Members have hunted both and been just fine. I felt just fine in Mozambique and would go into Ethiopia in a heart beat.

View attachment 556496

OK, am I an idiot and reading this wrong??? Namibia is more dangerous that Somalia? Sudan?

View attachment 556494

View attachment 556495

View attachment 556496

Would be nice to add other countries of interest into this table such as the USA, Canada, England, Australia etc so that one has something to gauge against. Putting the African Countries up against each other doesn't really give someone a gauge.
Egypt is high on my list to visit, and as a South African, those numbers don't mean much to me, if anything at all.

Love your work, sir!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyrtisChun

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,