Rowland Ward VS SCI VS Species - Which Trophy Method Of Measurement Around The World

Soutie18

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
S.A Veldsport Association Archery edge Club 3di archer
Hunted
South africa and Namibia
I would like to hear from hunters and trophy hunters around the world about which method you choose to appreciate your trophies. , to gain insight and appreciation for the trophies and hunting method

I prefer SCI over Rowland Wards because it measures both horns. For example, my bush buck has massive, thick, short horns that measure poorly on Rowland Wards but rank in the top 50 in SCI due to the thick bases.

An older hunter in my valley believes in appreciating the taken species as much as possible, with the only requirement being that the animal is mature. This makes sense because shooting something rare like a cape grysbok is more valuable than shooting a 25-inch impala.

Area-specific species add a different element to the hunting experience shooting example shooting a fallow deer in south African doesn't seem so right if get the idea

The dream is shooting something rare and with huge horns in its nature habitat

Is hunting quality a factor or not as important, such as where and how the animal was shot. For example, some hunters attract huge bucks by planting crops would you be proud of shooting a buck in the field/farming veld knowing you only got him because of a food plot , or while a more challenging walk and stalk method. same here in S.A using a land cruiser to take you a know area to hunt quickly a trophy kudu or latterly walking the hole day to achieve the hunt ? i know time is factor for the over sea hunter in south Africa .

I never chase trophies by the size, so method is irrelevant.

Generally, I prefer older bulls, where the trophy shows the age. Size and method of measurement irrelevant. My biggest trophy is experience and the memory of the hunt.

I try to target mature animals and at this stage in life, those past prime. One caveat that I'll throw out for consideration, keep in mind the overall realistic size/quality for the area you're hunting. This past deer season here in Georgia, I drew a quota hunt tag for one of our coastal barrier islands for a deer/hog hunt. I harvested a 6 1/2 year old 8 pointer that had a 10" spread and might have gone mid 90" and a 5 1/2 year old 7 pointer mid 70". Both of these deer were exceptional for the island, but I wouldn't have given them a second look on the mainland. In my eyes, these were the best deer I took this past season although I shot several big boys from areas that one would expect to take heavy horned deer. The quality of the hunt and a mature animal are the benchmarks that I strive for.

That being said, I prefer SCI to RW for the total of horn/bone.

If an animal makes RW and B&C you know it’s a monster period! To me the only things that really matters is the stalk irregardless of whether it’s fenced hunting or free range hunt. Having said that the RW animals I have shot in Africa that were free range mean a whole lot more to me than the fenced ones period.

I am an official SCI measurer for our taxidermy business but have entered none of my trophies in their book, in spite of three that qualify gold medal, one for sure silver medal, and several bronze medal. I enjoy measuring because it's a bit of a science. Challenging.

Interesting that my over the top SCI gold medal elk rack is just 4 points shy of minimum to qualify for Boone and Crockett.
The nyala shot in 2022 was perhaps the most challenging stalk of my life. Certainly for Africa. But I doubt he would qualify for either SCI or RW (maybe I will measure it tonight). My last kudu bull shot a few days later is not my largest or anywhere close to SCI minimum, but certainly it's the prettiest. Both bulls were in tough shape with poor capes. The nyala only had two front teeth and one was about to fall out!

Horn size really isn't an issue for me. Last year I spent four days hunting a cow buffalo with a green tag in her ear. We were close to the herd every day but never able to get a shot. Finally, on the last day the herd bugged out of the thick stuff where they were bedded and she ran right by me, but I had a calf in the way so couldn't shoot. Nothing to show for four days hunting except some great memories ... at a cost of daily PH fee only. I was fine with that.

I ask my PH to guide me to the oldest animal he can find.

I have never measured an animal.

I measure the experience, not the length of the horns.

Not talking about minimums, just method, If you're wanting to compare things I prefer SCI. I too think the mass should be taken into account. That said, as a gauge in the field Roland Ward wins. One measurement,length of the longest side, simple and easy. Personally that's what I use the systems for, a gauge. All my trophies are trophies whether they'd get lost in a record book or not. But sometimes it's interesting to make comparisons or have goals. To each their own there.

Until someone comes up with an age measurement, I am not really interested in the whole scoring thing any longer. I scored three or four animals my first safari and submitted them, but none since. Though, I do have a gigantic sika that I need to score simply for the outfitter's sake.

To be truthful, I do know the size - as opposed to score - of most of my better animals, whether on the wall or in a photo album. But I haven't submitted anything for a very long time.

I don't know anything about the scoring methods and don't care
When it comes to horns, character is far more important than size. I would take a smaller (within reason) non typical buck any day over a bigger symmetrical one.

Originally they were simply an attempt to create an objective and historical record for comparison. Why others are created- who knows? I guess like creating a new club to which dues can be paid for membership. :)

So for North America- B&C
World- R W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.