Round Chambered…or Not?

View attachment 606278
Scope was quick detached and stowed in my daypack. Weather was terrible as was footing. Empty chamber and iron sights for those conditions.
Next time just leave the scope on. Put Butler Creek "rubberband" style scope covers over your scope lenses and flip them off if/when you get a shot. I've used them for years in MANY nasty weather conditions. You get snow/ice on the irons and they're useless anyway. FYI.

Reactions: WAB
We pretty much consider anyone from a state that fought for the Union army a Yankee. Nothing personal. No quarrel with you, Ontario Hunter. I like people a little on the eccentric side. More interesting. Just won’t depend on you to back me up in a scrape, sitting there on an empty chamber and all.

:cool:

We pretty much consider anyone from a state that fought for the Union army a Yankee. Nothing personal. No quarrel with you, Ontario Hunter. I like people a little on the eccentric side. More interesting. Just won’t depend on you to back me up in a scrape, sitting there on an empty chamber and all.

:cool:
I too grew up in the South. South of Interstate 10.

I too grew up in the South. South of Interstate 10.
Southern California (now Californicate). I10 went through San Bernardino and the Inland Empire. We "Southerners" were way South of there. LOL

R8: round in the chamber. That is the beauty of an R8, and part of the reason I’m ok with the extra cost of that platform.

I don’t like to hunt with a round in the chamber with a 3 position safety. I load when close to a shot.

I also have a habit of verbally announcing when I load or unload. Particularly important is that announcement when arriving back at the truck.

Cheney was born in Nebraska one state away from Texas and educated in Wyoming. Hardly makes him a "Yankee."

Umm, living in Canada seems to have affected your memory of US geography.

And yes, that does make him a yankee. Any further north and he’d be a damn yankee to folks down here.

Umm, living in Canada seems to have affected your memory of US geography.

And yes, that does make him a yankee. Any further north and he’d be a damn yankee to folks down here.
Maybe it's due to the constant effect of the Aurora Borealis phenomenon and thus intense magnetic field anomalies in Canada? LOL

Reactions: WAB
Next time just leave the scope on. Put Butler Creek "rubberband" style scope covers over your scope lenses and flip them off if/when you get a shot. I've used them for years in MANY nasty weather conditions. You get snow/ice on the irons and they're useless anyway. FYI.
Scope covers don't help when I roll down the mountain and fall on my gun.

Scope covers don't help when I roll down the mountain and fall on my gun.
Anyone who has regularly hunted the mountains in snow has experienced the joy of a good fall, and if lucky, the excitement of watching the buck you are dragging pass you like toboggan laden with kids.

Anyone who has regularly hunted the mountains in snow has experienced the joy of a good fall, and if lucky, the excitement of watching the buck you are dragging pass you like toboggan laden with kids.
Look closely and you can see the tear in thigh of my wool pants where this one hooked me just after I started the carcass downhill. I rode him about fifty yards before we slammed into a small Doug fir. Pulled that bull over a mile down the mountain to a logging skid road ... by myself. In the above photo with cliff, I shot the elk just over the that ridge.
1980 bull.JPG

Interesting regarding so many people loading in DG areas…

My pistol, always loaded in kydex holster; pg hunting, depending on rifle, majority of time bolt semi-closed to first notch, not loaded though. If I hunt with someone and not walking in front, not loaded…

What is interesting though, is that trail guiding, in Big Five areas are majority unloaded bolt closed, only once you encounter a big 5 animal and situations seems to require it, are the rifles loaded.
So thanks, I actually received a lot of queries on this... "whether rangers in DG areas really do not walk with loaded rifles; are they crazy?"

I am not a Sanparks game ranger, but Sanparks Rangers doing guided/trail walks, do not walk with loaded guns - I have done numerous walks with them, did their training courses, this is the way they do it. Private rangers (same training) in say areas such as Timbivati etc. may have different rules, but the majority also, walk with loaded magazine, chamber empty. I have lots of friends doing this, I confirmed with them specifically for this answer.

Why then do some PH's walk with loaded rifles in DG country, whereas Rangers do not. Well, that is easy somewhat. Each PH has his own rules, whereas Rangers mostly have to follow certain standards... Are the standards then wrong, no not all. Also, on a hunt, when following up a wounded DG animal, I think common sense then prevails and rifles are loaded. Facts unfortunately are that in such circumstances, being shot is more prevalent and bigger risk than being mauled/stomped etc. The rest of the answer is not addressing reasons for PH's doing it their way and allowing/not allowing clients, this more to answer the question of the rangers.

One should remember, there is a vast difference in walking in an area such as KNP, where hunting/culling (story for another day) is not allowed vs hunting areas. The way the walk is done is the major difference. Guided walks, the rangers try their best to avoid areas where DG can surprise them, thickets etc., they do not go into areas where they know they may be surprised. Also they give a wide berth to certain animals, but yes, they will guide you in very close to say elephants, but safety (without rifle) is nr 1. Does the fact that they do not hunt influence animal behavior, maybe yes, maybe no. Guided tours are done in areas adjacent to KNP where hunting is done and also in KNP when culling was allowed. No difference really then. But yes, encountering a wounded animal in hunting area is way more likely than in KNP...

Interesting enough, Sanpark changed the way rangers guide, due to rifle safety in the last few years. Historically, the 2nd Rifle (backup) walked at the end of the group in the line. They realized, if something happens at front, the 2nd rifle had to run past / shoot past, therefore now, 1st and 2nd rifle are at front.

Sanparks prides itself, that they have never lost a tourist/participant to a guided walk. Agree to disagree with their rifle protocol or rest, guiding in DG areas have not seen the level of incidents that us hunters tend to think they would. Tourists are even allowed to walk in Mana Pools without guides and off course cannot have a rifle...

Does any of this mean, the rangers do not use their rifles, no not all. There have been multiple incidents where animals unfortunately were shot.

I searched and found a video of an incident where 2 dagga boys (look at the centre of the dark shade, you will see 1 of them) surprised us on a KNP walk, check at the end, they immediately unload the rifles, I unfortunately did not catch the load at the start, I did not walk with camera at the ready :)

So thanks, I actually received a lot of queries on this... "whether rangers in DG areas really do not walk with loaded rifles; are they crazy?"

I am not a Sanparks game ranger, but Sanparks Rangers doing guided/trail walks, do not walk with loaded guns - I have done numerous walks with them, did their training courses, this is the way they do it. Private rangers (same training) in say areas such as Timbivati etc. may have different rules, but the majority also, walk with loaded magazine, chamber empty. I have lots of friends doing this, I confirmed with them specifically for this answer.

Why then do some PH's walk with loaded rifles in DG country, whereas Rangers do not. Well, that is easy somewhat. Each PH has his own rules, whereas Rangers mostly have to follow certain standards... Are the standards then wrong, no not all. Also, on a hunt, when following up a wounded DG animal, I think common sense then prevails and rifles are loaded. Facts unfortunately are that in such circumstances, being shot is more prevalent and bigger risk than being mauled/stomped etc. The rest of the answer is not addressing reasons for PH's doing it their way and allowing/not allowing clients, this more to answer the question of the rangers.

One should remember, there is a vast difference in walking in an area such as KNP, where hunting/culling (story for another day) is not allowed vs hunting areas. The way the walk is done is the major difference. Guided walks, the rangers try their best to avoid areas where DG can surprise them, thickets etc., they do not go into areas where they know they may be surprised. Also they give a wide berth to certain animals, but yes, they will guide you in very close to say elephants, but safety (without rifle) is nr 1. Does the fact that they do not hunt influence animal behavior, maybe yes, maybe no. Guided tours are done in areas adjacent to KNP where hunting is done and also in KNP when culling was allowed. No difference really then. But yes, encountering a wounded animal in hunting area is way more likely than in KNP...

Interesting enough, Sanpark changed the way rangers guide, due to rifle safety in the last few years. Historically, the 2nd Rifle (backup) walked at the end of the group in the line. They realized, if something happens at front, the 2nd rifle had to run past / shoot past, therefore now, 1st and 2nd rifle are at front.

Sanparks prides itself, that they have never lost a tourist/participant to a guided walk. Agree to disagree with their rifle protocol or rest, guiding in DG areas have not seen the level of incidents that us hunters tend to think they would. Tourists are even allowed to walk in Mana Pools without guides and off course cannot have a rifle...

Does any of this mean, the rangers do not use their rifles, no not all. There have been multiple incidents where animals unfortunately were shot.

I searched and found a video of an incident where 2 dagga boys (look at the centre of the dark shade, you will see 1 of them) surprised us on a KNP walk, check at the end, they immediately unload the rifles, I unfortunately did not catch the load at the start, I did not walk with camera at the ready :)
Interesting. Thanks for that perspective.

If you hunt in DG country I strongly suggest you hunt with a round chambered. If it hits the fan your PH may or may not be positioned to intervene.
PH is always in front in DG country. I have trouble picturing a scenario where a licensed PH would not be in a "position to intervene" if "it hits the fan."

PH is always in front in DG country. I have trouble picturing a scenario where a licensed PH would not be in a "position to intervene" if "it hits the fan."
????? Maybe from the side as you pass? Maybe from the rear flank? Maybe from the rear? Maybe there is a tracker in his line of shot? Maybe the game scout? Maybe you? Maybe his rifle misfires? Maybe he misses? Maybe his shot is ineffective? Maybe he trips trying to get in position ? Maybe there are 2 or more cow elephants? Maybe I like to be in control of my own welfare as much as possible.

Are we supposed to still call people from the south "rebels"? LMAO

????? Maybe from the side as you pass? Maybe from the rear flank? Maybe from the rear? Maybe there is a tracker in his line of shot? Maybe the game scout? Maybe you? Maybe his rifle misfires? Maybe he misses? Maybe his shot is ineffective? Maybe he trips trying to get in position ? Maybe there are 2 or more cow elephants? Maybe I like to be in control of my own welfare as much as possible.
Okay. Space station debris could fall on him too I guess. Don't forget your tinfoil hat. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxColbert

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)