Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

I just recieved my Omega Planet Ocean. Fits perfect. Thanks BeeMaa for the great lead.

View attachment 594519View attachment 594520
Sir you just bought yourself the toughest, strongest, most ding/dent/chip/scratch resistant tool watch on the planet!!!
Oh and it’s one of the most accurate too!!!
Great buy and investment! Wear it everyday and pass it down as it’s a true heirloom!

I'll take some enabler credit on this one but I did almost double your original budget. You got a really good deal on an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (gen 1) and I might even be a little bit jealous. The writing on the bracelet clasp has me thinking...:unsure:

Congratulations my friend.

Next we will have to take a look at...
View attachment 594539
with a Neptune case back that looks like...
View attachment 594540
Us Navy guys know the importance of "King Neptune"...:ROFLMAO:
I was shellbacked off of Ecuador and entered the realm of King Neptune on FFG-27 Tisdale! This was back when you came out of the shellbacking having crawled the length of the boat several times! Bloody hands and knees, bruised all over from being beat by fire hoses, eyes stinging from being battered by high pressure fire hoses, and having to swim through weeks of putrid garbage that was filled with water the length of the fantail! And that was the easy parts lol
But when you finished they treated you like hero’s and were full of respect for you for having completed a tradition going back 100s of years! You were now a true sailor!!!
I seriously doubt they still do that in today’s Navy?

So the list in the link is:
Leonidas, Godiva, Neuhaus, Bruyerre, Cote d'Or, Corne Port Royal, Wittamer, Pierre Marcolini, Belvas, Mary, Zabar.

I only know myself the underlined ones. So I will not speak to the others.

Côte d'Or is big volume chocolate found in most supermarkets, but of surprisingly good quality. Especially for chocolate bars. (they do not really have pralines). They are the main staple in every household. And if it is just a simple piece of chocolate you want, you cannot go wrong. They do not quite fit in the rest of the list, because most of the others are praliniers (make pralines out of chocolate) while Côte d'Or is mainly making chocolate tablets.

Leonidas is probably the entry level on Belgian chocolate pralines. Prevalent in all cities, not very high quality, but not bad. It's what tourists usually buy.
Godiva is marginally better than Leonidas I would say.

The top three in Belgian chocolate praline making are for me: Neuhaus, Wittamer and Pierre Marcolini. The first of these three is my own favourite. The original inventors of the praline, they still have wonderful chocolates, not too fancy but amazing quality. Some, who like a bit more specialty flavours will crown Pierre Marcolini to be the king. Wittamer is more in the style of Neuhaus, and I have a little less experience with, just because I always go for Neuhaus.
I found Pierre Marcolini to be my favorite on our event trip through Brussels at Christmas. My wife had us visit multiple different chocolate locales. It was a great experience, I think I am still on a diet as a result of that grand volume of amazing chocolate.

As for watches: my son and I wandered into a watch store in Curacao during spring break last week (as a result of this thread!) We got quite and education about Tudor watches.

I wore my Tag aquaracer during both scuba and extensive snorkeling. free diving and fishing. It is nice to have a watch that I don’t worry about. Why do I need a watch on vacation? To remind me how often I need to reapply sunscreen!

CZ, do you still have the Shellback card and certificate. My certificate is on old parchment paper and is very ornate. And you are correct. In today’s society. There is no way they are allowed any hazing. Let alone that level of hazing. I’ve had some rigorous initiations in the navy. Making Chief Petty officer, joining the Denizen of the Deep club was brutal.

I wanted a Rolex “Bluesy” for a long time. I went to a dealer in Augusta, GA in 2007. They were professional, but also snobby about their watches. I walked away. I went to a dealer in Indiana in 2015. The dealer was friendly but I wasn’t going to go on a waiting list or play any games. I walked again. Same thing in Chicago later that year. A couple months later, I bought a used Bluesy at a fraction of the cost of a new one. I wear it every day and love it, but there are many watches out there and they all tell time. People are weird on what items they decide to be smug about. I have talked with people before who acted like I was just a tire kicker, then they see my watch, make a comment about it, then suddenly give me attention. I never buy from those people. I like people who treat me the same regardless of what I am driving, what clothes I am wearing, or what watch I have on. I know my value and my watch is above my pay grade. I just saved for a long time to get what I wanted.

As someone who regularly dives to 3,800 feet deep while spearfishing for Pacific footballfish, I find the helium-relief valve very useful.

And, if you believe that, I've got a Holland & Holland "Royal" DR disguised as a Stoeger 20 gauge that I will let go for a mere $10,000.00 US.

CZ, do you still have the Shellback card and certificate. My certificate is on old parchment paper and is very ornate. And you are correct. In today’s society. There is no way they are allowed any hazing. Let alone that level of hazing. I’ve had some rigorous initiations in the navy. Making Chief Petty officer, joining the Denizen of the Deep club was brutal.
I do somewhere lol My father had all of that and he just passed very sadly… He was “Doc” Robles! He was a Fleet Corpsman attached to the Marine Corps, so he was both Navy and a Marine! At his funeral both Navy Sailors and Marines showed up to give him a tearful, flag drapped send off!!! It’s touching that even though they might not go through the same hazing we did they still have serious respect for those who served and fought for them!!!
And its nice to see another that is one of “King Neptunes Realm” here! Not many of us I’d suppose….

AS of 2012 the tradition lives on. Although not as brutal as your descriptions.

I do somewhere lol My father had all of that and he just passed very sadly… He was “Doc” Robles! He was a Fleet Corpsman attached to the Marine Corps, so he was both Navy and a Marine! At his funeral both Navy Sailors and Marines showed up to give him a tearful, flag drapped send off!!! It’s touching that even though they might not go through the same hazing we did they still have serious respect for those who served and fought for them!!!
And its nice to see another that is one of “King Neptunes Realm” here! Not many of us I’d suppose….

Not a member, however my father is. He crossed the date line and the equator several times during WW2.

Last edited:
I have a 14060M and the wife has a 176200. The Rolex problem stems from flippers. Rolex created this problem. I guess it started basically in the late 2000's where NIB "flips" were going for 20-25% more than new. People would buy them brand new from an AD and sell them for 20-25% more later that day. That lead to the AD's developing "preferred client lists" because Rolex started blacklisting AD's if they found out a watch was resold shortly after sale.

It's a double-edged sword. Rolex controls the market for the watches. Produce too many? They become common and not as desirable. Produce not enough? The problems with flippers occurs.

I'm conflicted on it. I love my 14060M 2-liner because it's probably the purest Sub ever made. I'm actually glad I bought used 8 years ago.

Not sure why you think Rolex service sucks. When I was living in greater DFW, I took mine in for service. As I was a “walk-in” they gave me a loaner Tudor while mine was being serviced. The last time I was a walk-in but not living in DFW anymore no more loaners. They did have lots of Lindt miniatures. And I had more than my fair share. You can’t go wrong with Lindt or Neuhaus chocolates.

They weren't very accommodating when I had a problem with my watch, so that's my experience with Rolex....acted like I was bothering them when I needed to have it fixed, kept trying to sell me a new one. And, No, you can't go wrong with those chocolates :)

if I was a psychologist, I'd perform a whole study just on this thread.

Glad i never seriously got the watch bug but it's fascinating hearing the different points of view.
I had a nice titanium self-winding something or other back in the 90's that cost too much. One of my pilots talked me into it. Hated getting in and out of the wet suit with it and hated it pulling my arm hair. That was the last watch i wore. My wife of 24 years hasn't seen me in a watch. ha ha ha.

I have purchased only one Rolex in my life and mercifully it was a vintage model so I did not have to go through the same rigmarole. Omega is plenty nice for me.

Is a 5ATM rating enough to never have to think about water as a danger? If I wear it for a swim (not a dive), washing hands, rinsing the blood off under a stream of water, etc.
The waterpiping in a typical home are pressured to between 2,5 and 4,5 bar (ATM)

Therefore if you want your watch to be able to withstand the pressure coming out of the water faucet in your kitchen or bathroom, you want the rating to be at least 5 bar (ATM) and preferably way higher to have a margin of safety.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=water+pressure+domestic

Kalthoff, unless the watch is somehow inside the water pipe or expansion tank. It should not be pressurized from tap water.

As soon as it comes out of the faucet it is equalized to ambient atmospheric pressure

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudraQ7266

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you