Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

So now let's talk watch bands for all those watches. RubberB are the Swiss standard in very very tough bands. I've used them on my GMT and Apple Watch for years without any issues. Expensive but worth it for security. You will want top quality pins to go along with them. Extremely comfortable.

Does anyone have an example of a watchband made out of elephant hair? Would that even be possible?

Interesting that you say that as I spent most of my career in oil and ag chemicals, both of which are still very much English units. In fact, much international trade is still in English units.
I didn't say all, I said most. Old oil is certainly old. Everything Ag I've done has been metric. Planes are metric, electrical is nearly all metric. Medtech is metric, and most of your car. It's a trivial point I was making for conversation on a Sunday.

"In the U.S., the SI system is used extensively in some fields such as science, medicine, electronics, the military, automobile production and repair, and international affairs."

As early as Jefferson the metric system was preferred. In 1970s Ford approved the Metrification act. Even food is required by law to be labeled in metric.

Attachments

• 9.3 x 64 Brenneke Unprimed Brass.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 19
I didn't say all, I said most. Old oil is certainly old. Everything Ag I've done has been metric. Planes are metric, electrical is nearly all metric. Medtech is metric, and most of your car. It's a trivial point I was making for conversation on a Sunday.

"In the U.S., the SI system is used extensively in some fields such as science, medicine, electronics, the military, automobile production and repair, and international affairs."

As early as Jefferson the metric system was preferred. In 1970s Ford approved the Metrification act. Even food is required by law to be labeled in metric.
Not my industry, sadly.

All stupid American Standard units, at least for the US sites. At least the Canada facilities are metric.

An absolute nightmare to deal with when trying to scale recipes, or move stuff between sites, or work out tank volume to number of packages, or do engineering design work, or work out maximum weights for trucks or rail cars, or do costings, or work with Procurement, or do absolutely anything at all that involves mathematics, but that's legacy plants for you.

Not my industry, sadly.

All stupid American Standard units, at least for the US sites. At least the Canada facilities are metric.

An absolute nightmare to deal with when trying to scale recipes, or move stuff between sites, or work out tank volume to number of packages, or do engineering design work, or work out maximum weights for trucks or rail cars, or do costings, or work with Procurement, or do absolutely anything at all that involves mathematics, but that's legacy plants for you.
At least we’re safe here. No, wait, we have mm, inches and grains. But always grams for bullets.

Just to set the record straight (as a Belgian very important) please do not put Lindt and Neuhaus on the same level. That’s like comparing a Volkswagen to a Porsche. Or in the spirit of this thread, a Timex to a IWC watch.

Well, one is a praline and the other is a solid chocolate bar. I think a better watch comparison would be a Rolex to a Patek.

Well, one is a praline and the other is a solid chocolate bar. I think a better watch comparison would be a Rolex to a Patek.
Patek Philippe is in another stratisphere when it comes to their level of refinement. Combine that with the limited number of pieces they make and you have a recipe for a limitless price ceiling.

There are not many brands that could compete at that level in the timepiece industry. With all due respect, I would have a hard time putting Rolex in the same class. It would be like comparing Bugatti to Mercedes. Both are luxury, but very different classes.

Just to set the record straight (as a Belgian very important) please do not put Lindt and Neuhaus on the same level. That’s like comparing a Volkswagen to a Porsche.
Not sure that's a good comparison:
Porsche-914-2.0-0.jpeg

Patek Philippe is in another stratisphere when it comes to their level of refinement. Combine that with the limited number of pieces they make and you have a recipe for a limitless price ceiling.

There are not many brands that could compete at that level in the timepiece industry. With all due respect, I would have a hard time putting Rolex in the same class. It would be like comparing Bugatti to Mercedes. Both are luxury, but very different classes.
Stainless PP regularly sell for over $100K these days. It's unbelievable.

And just in order to bring the thread back to watches, I have a question for the resident experts.
As I'm trying to find a daily driver, I would like to find a watch that will be impervious to heat, cold, rain, water, dust, etc. I want to wear it and not have to worry about it. I already had a Hanowa Swiss military go bust in a Zim swimming session, so I do not want to repeat this.

I'm quite enamored by the IWC pilot watches, but looking at their different Mark XII , XVI XVIII etc. most of them only have a 5ATM water proof rating. The newest Mark XX has a 10ATM water proof rating but is also twice as expensive. Is a 5ATM rating enough to never have to think about water as a danger? If I wear it for a swim (not a dive), washing hands, rinsing the blood off under a stream of water, etc.

Or should I look more towards diving watches to get those capabilities? Like the Omega Seamaster that is growing on me.

Second hand IWC Aquatimer.

If you want a daily driver that will hold up to every day use I would suggest looking at the Rolex Submariner or GMT Master.

Vertigo wants a watch he can wear without worrying about it, a Rolex screams "expensive watch", and that´s not a good idea in a developing country, IWC is as good as Rolex but only those into watches know about it. So less risk.

My son was very very happy with his for his 21st birthday.....sub limited edition of one of their lines...only 14 made ....bought it and started paying for it bout 5 years before his 21st.....couldn't be there because of the Chinese virus....but my brother and his wife WhatsApp video called me when my friend who owns the shop presented it to him, and gave him the history of how it came to be made especially for their shop....and how he had to look after it and the case etc....my brother afterwards said you couldn't have got him a better present...he loves it ...so made my day even though couldn't be there..... :D Beers:...ps the president of patek philippe Thierry stern can drink....he was at the dinner celebration where I bought the watch...and a good party after where we kept the residents bar open till very late where he was staying.... :D Cheers:

Last edited:
My son was very very happy with his for his 21st birthday.....sub limited edition of one of their lines...only 14 made ....bought it and started paying for it bout 5 years before his 21st.....couldn't be there because of the Chinese virus....but my brother and his wife WhatsApp video called me when my friend who owns the shop presented it to him, and gave him the history of how it came to be made especially for their shop....and how he had to look after it and the case etc....my brother afterwards said you couldn't have got him a better present...he loves it ...so made my day even though couldn't be there..... :D Beers:...ps the president of patek philippe Thierry stern can drink....he was at the dinner celebration where I bought the watch...and a good party after where we kept the residents bar open till very late where he was staying.... :D Cheers:
I'm more impressed with the fact that somebody can not only equal your capacity for spirits, but surpass it. :D Cheers:

Cheers to you and your son my friend.

I'm more impressed with the fact that somebody can not only equal your capacity for spirits, but surpass it. :D Cheers:

Cheers to you and your son my friend.

Mmm...not sure about surpassing it...but i didn't have to get up early next morning....my friend with the shop had thierry in at 8am next morning for a meeting....said he was fine and firing on all cylinders....we must have finished at 4am earliest...so yeah hard core :A Thumbs Up:...and thanks...writing it made me feel bit sad at remembering I couldn't be there on his 21st....but he had 2 good parties...one sorted by his 2 wild mad godmothers..and other by my brother and his wife...:D Beers:

I just recieved my Omega Planet Ocean. Fits perfect. Thanks BeeMaa for the great lead.

View attachment 594519View attachment 594520
I'll take some enabler credit on this one but I did almost double your original budget. You got a really good deal on an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean (gen 1) and I might even be a little bit jealous. The writing on the bracelet clasp has me thinking...:unsure:

Congratulations my friend.

Next we will have to take a look at...
1710977780588.png

with a Neptune case back that looks like...
1710977828117.png

Us Navy guys know the importance of "King Neptune"...:ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnyGibbo

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.