Rolex- the stupidest, lamest company

My older son graduated from high school in 1989 and I asked him what he wanted for his graduation present “A Rolex”. I bought him a Rolex Air King for $800 at my local jeweler in Birmingham MI. After a week or so I thought it was ridiculous that an 18 year old had a Rolex and I didn’t so I bought myself another Air King. My second son also wanted a Rolex so I went back to the same dealer and bought another Air King with a distinctive blue face. By now my jeweler and I were on a first name basis. Finally my wife got one as an Anniversary gift but the Ladies Air King was 50% more expensive since it’s so petite and more expensive to manufacture. My jeweler asked if I had any more kids, but my fourth purchase was my last. 35 years later, all four Air Kings are still running fine.
I really like and, at some point, would like to get one of the current Air Kiings with the green second hand. I think they're underrated.

Amigos y Amigas,

I don’t know why I like this thread so much but indeed, I do ….. indeed and indeed.
That said, old Velo Dog generally does not wear a watch.
However, when I do bother to wear one, it is a humble Timex, Expedition Model.:barefoot:
“Cheap, Brown and Reliable”, as shown in the attached pic below.

I think I paid $20. USA dollars for the first one I bought.
It lasted many long years and was still keeping perfect time when I finally lost it.
When I bought the replacement (shown in said picture), seems like I paid $40. USA Dollars for same.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Man, if you hadn’t lost that first timex you’d have doubled the value of your investment like the Rolex guys.

I'm so confused........ Yesterday I was an evil, Rolex-hoarding, sock-less, mid-life crisis, puppy killer who overpays for oil changes in my sports car.......and today I'm a tax-dodging freeloader avoiding my civic duties. Hhhhhhmmmm, I didn't feel like such a horrible person when I was working for the US Govt in Baghdad 2003-2004 wearing a G-Shock and carrying an MP5 :)
TANGO: You better stop Posting on here - you’ll be in Prison at the rate your going, soon even your “thoughts” will be Taxable !!

HEY, don't paint us all with the same brush. Just saying.
cls: if you live in Canada, I’m sure you are paying More then your fair share of taxes

I read through 7 pages, got the gist of the thread and then skipped to the end. I used to own a Rolex I bought new around 1992. I enjoyed wearing it for about 15 years and then I sold it. I now own 5 Omegas and a Breitling. I wouldn't mind owning another Rolex but the quality of their watches in no way justifies the absurd pricing and ridiculous treatment of customers. The used Rolex market is in a free fall and that makes me very happy. I hate flippers and the gray market.
BONK: I use to work with many wealthy Executives and the trend was that None ever wore a Rolex - they were “too common” and all you needed was $$$ to own one. Now, a rare - older “Vintage” Rolex was another story and some would spend $50,000 + for a very old model - have refurbished as needed and I thought those watches were very classy, cool looking and nicely “understated”.

Amigos y Amigas,

I don’t know why I like this thread so much but indeed, I do ….. indeed and indeed.
However, when I do bother to wear one, it is a humble Timex, Expedition Model.:barefoot:

It lasted many long years and was still keeping perfect time when I finally lost it.
When I bought the replacement (shown in said picture), seems like I paid $40. USA Dollars for same.

In furtherance of that thought, if I was wealthy (and if a frog had wings), I’d collect vintage USA Railroad Pocket Watches.
No offense intended, just saying.

On that note, I applaud those of you who dig on Rolex wrist watches.
Those do not hold my gaze but, I am all for each person striving for whatever makes them smile.

You good fellow’s affection for expensive (super expensive) wrist watches is comparable to my affection towards proper Model ‘98 Mausers, their reasonable descendants, proper SxS double rifles and shotguns, plus certain single shot rifles as well.
Furthermore, I am riveted by a narrow category of fly rods, reels, certain specific handguns and well made pocket knives as well.
So I get it …. in a round about way.

Anywhooo and again, I have really enjoyed this thread.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Amen brother, that's a great gear list!

TANGO: You better stop Posting on here - you’ll be in Prison at the rate your going, soon even your “thoughts” will be Taxable !!
Yes and noted, thank you! I think I'm still safe here in Florida for a while longer

Amigos y Amigas,

In furtherance of that thought, if I was wealthy (and if a frog had wings), I’d collect vintage USA Railroad Pocket Watches.
No offense intended, just saying.

On that note, I applaud those of you who dig on Rolex wrist watches.
Those do not hold my gaze but, I am all for each person striving for whatever makes them smile.

You good fellow’s affection for expensive (super expensive) wrist watches is comparable to my affection towards proper Model ‘98 Mausers, their reasonable descendants, proper SxS double rifles and shotguns, plus certain single shot rifles as well.
Furthermore, I am riveted by a narrow category of fly rods, reels, certain specific handguns and well made pocket knives as well.
So I get it …. in a round about way.

Anywhooo and again, I have really enjoyed this thread.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Velo Dog: I also love the Timex Expedition and have been wearing one for over 20 years — actually I’ve owned about 8-9 of them. Loved them for hunting because they were light weight, thin, waterproof, had an Alarm feature, and illuminated in dark for easy reading. They also use to last me 4-5 years before battery went dead and for $30 I’d just buy a new one. Now, they are still around $35 (Walmart) but I’m lucky if I get a year out of one - battery dies, “Indiglo light” fails, or they just stop. They seem to have deteriorated from a cheap-good-reliable Watch to just Cheap. I might have to switch to “Casio”. I remember in the 1960s their TV commercials use to say “Timex, it takes a lickin and keeps on ticking”…..now, if you lick it - it stops !

I think some of you have changed my mind here and I implore the rest of you to follow suit!!!
I now am going to scrap my watch collection and I am asking all of you that also own nice watches to do the same!
In that spirit we should now only own Timex, Casio, and IWatch!!!
So I’m calling on all of you to ship me your watches so I can scrap them with mine as we have been told they are no investment anyway! PM me for my shipping address and I will make sure they are recycled appropriately lol

I've seen some beautiful Rolex's. One of the few Mandatory needs for work, is a wristwatch.
Citizen: White face, easy to see @ night, gets abused & those aren't cheap.

Macy's 15yrs ago, I did snag this though.
Who else Makes Luxury Watches?

1709948968446.png

This has been a very interesting thread, and has actually evolved my thinking a bit. I haven’t worn a watch in years. My first thought was that Rolex watches were kind of a weird metrosexual jewelry thing. I have a cell phone, there is a clock on my office computer and office phone. Why do I need something on my wrist?

But after reflection, maybe a watch is a way to more often leave a cell phone behind. Which is a very good thing.

Still not buying a Rolex.

It's probably already been posted, but...

A lawyer opened the door of his BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely.

When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW. "Officer, look what they've done to my Beeeemer!!!", he whined.

"You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!!!"

"Oh my gaaad....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex???!!!!!"

I'm not afraid of self-deprecating humor...

I'm getting paid $41K/year right now.

I don't even have any business being on this forum!!!!!

It's probably already been posted, but...

A lawyer opened the door of his BMW, when suddenly a car came along and hit the door, ripping it off completely.

When the police arrived at the scene, the lawyer was complaining bitterly about the damage to his precious BMW. "Officer, look what they've done to my Beeeemer!!!", he whined.

"You lawyers are so materialistic, you make me sick!!!" retorted the officer, "You're so worried about your stupid BMW, that you didn't even notice that your left arm was ripped off!!!"

"Oh my gaaad....", replied the lawyer, finally noticing the bloody left shoulder where his arm once was, "Where's my Rolex???!!!!!"

I'm not afraid of self-deprecating humor...

I'm getting paid $41K/year right now.

I don't even have any business being on this forum!!!!!
Hahaha! . That’s a good one!!

I have 1 Rolex and 1 Double Rifle. (But, I wouldn't mind adding to the collection)

My daily driver is a 20 year old Lexus GX 470.

There are thousands of bass fisherman who pull $80K boats with $80K trucks.

Boys can always find a way to get their toys.

I used to drive past a single-wide trailer that always had 2 brand new Corvettes parked outside.

All of us find a way waste $ on what is important to us.

Why bother to judge?

Very few of us would be on this forum if Dave Ramsey was our god.

In the world of watches there are far better made and more exclusive watches than Rolex. But none are as well known and sought after more than Rolex. Rolex is an achievement brand for most people. It thought of as ‘making it’. Ask anyone who isn’t into watches and they will tell you it’s the most expensive watch there is. They sell every watch they can make. ADs can be a**holes unless you're a known customer that spends a lot money with them.

There is no reason to pay a premium, for a Rolex today, unless you just can’t wait for the market to swing back to MSRP. There are a lot of brands that produce as good if not better watches than Rolex, for at or less money. At the inflated prices, there are also some amazing watches, that can be has, from more storied brands.

IMG_3277.png

IMG_3278.png

I don't get why everyone calls a Rolex an investment. I could annually buy 90 years worth of GShocks to purchase the entry level Rolex. I guess I'm confused on how buying a watch that barely keeps up on inflation would justify passing investing $5-10K elsewhere....
Investment in pleasure. If you don't get it, have the good grace to move on and let those who do enjoy theirs.

Some of us love Rolexes...

Some think they are foolish...

To each, his own.

If we don't live in Africa, hunting in Africa seems foolish to most people.

Let's just enjoy what the Lord Almighty has afforded us, and quit arguing about a darn wristwatch.

We have elephants to kill!

I have 1 Rolex and 1 Double Rifle. (But, I wouldn't mind adding to the collection)

My daily driver is a 20 year old Lexus GX 470.

There are thousands of bass fisherman who pull $80K boats with $80K trucks.

Boys can always find a way to get their toys.

I used to drive past a single-wide trailer that always had 2 brand new Corvettes parked outside.

All of us find a way waste $ on what is important to us.

Why bother to judge?

Very few of us would be on this forum if Dave Ramsey was our god.
Well said. I am beginning to realize that I am a bit odd in that multiples just don't do anything for me. One double - I know it so well already, every grain pattern of the stock, every place where the engraver slipped and left a unique bit. And yet there will be far more to see and feel in the future.
One Rolex, it is so satisfying too, the cut-outs on the ceramic bezel are so accurately executed one wonders how they did that? It is not so much a work of art as the Heym is, but more a pinnacle of engineering achievement. It is the very fact that it goes so far beyond mere functionality that makes it special.
Fine dining is not about nutrition, some appreciate it, some don't, both are OK.

This has been a very interesting thread, and has actually evolved my thinking a bit. I haven’t worn a watch in years. My first thought was that Rolex watches were kind of a weird metrosexual jewelry thing. I have a cell phone, there is a clock on my office computer and office phone. Why do I need something on my wrist?

But after reflection, maybe a watch is a way to more often leave a cell phone behind. Which is a very good thing.

Still not buying a Rolex.

Leaving the cell-phone behind is often a very good thing for unwinding in the wilderness. Reception (were I live), is never a sure thing.

(Get a Garmin inReach, for emergencies)

If you can't stomach a Rolex, or a Seiko auto-winder, consider a Bertucci, if you are OK with a battery powered watch.

They are the best selling watch sold by outdoor stores, and have features that Casio and Timex don't even know exist.

Last edited:
Leaving the cell-phone behind is often a very good thing for unwinding in the wilderness. Reception (were I live), is never a sure thing.

(Get a Garmin inReach, for emergencies)

If you can't stomach a Rolex, or a Seiko auto-winder, consider a Bertucci, if you are OK with a battery powered watch.

They are the best selling watch sold by outdoor stores, and have features that Casio and Timex don't even know exist.
Bertucci looks like a nice watch. What features are you talking about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmbroseVog

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani