Rigby Big Game Lightweight 350 Rigby

Yeah good point, I think it does require a magnum length action, I didn't think of that. So that bit makes sense and I suppose there is only so much you can do in reducing size and weight when building a rifle on a M98 magnum action
The Rigby 350 was the original Magnum Mauser action . It was built by Mauser at Rigby’s request . Not a true dangerous game cartridge but it makes sense to me that Rigby would offer it on their Big Game platform .

I had the new Rigby’s in my hands here at DSC. Absolutely stunning. New offerings are 350 Rigby, 300 H&H and 404J.

Safe hunting

The Rigby 350 was the original Magnum Mauser action . It was built by Mauser at Rigby’s request . Not a true dangerous game cartridge but it makes sense to me that Rigby would offer it on their Big Game platform .
Actually, the rimmed .400/350 was the reason for the Magnum M98's existence, but close enough. I must admit, I like the new Rigby offering. It's closer in appearance to the pre-WW II Rigby bolt-action rifles than the Big Game. Two classy chamberings as well.

It may not appeal to all, but I feel that my HS in 9.3x62 is an exceptional balance of capability and portability. Nostalgia would not encourage me to go to a less dynamic rifle with similar at best ballistic performance.

Which rifle are they offering in 300H&H?
The new Big Game. I am not sure what the actual new name is. I heard Big Game Lightweight.
The new stock is trimmed more along pre war dimensions, slightly slimmer barrel profile and several other cosmetic changes: actual recoil pad, front sight no longer sleeved. Yes, all are magnum actions.

Safe hunting

I’m so glad we continue to see new offerings from Rigby.

I think pre-war, Rigby sold far more 350 Rigbys, on magnum Mauser actions, than 416s. I think this rifle is targeted at nostalgia and duplicating their vintage recipe for success. My guess is that they will mostly sell these to a customer that already has a 416, and perhaps a 275, and wants another one. I wouldn’t buy a Rigby bolt gun in a caliber other than 416, 275 or 350. If I wanted a 9.3x62, I’d buy a Mauser type A, but that’s just me.

The original line up is back….
Well said!

I own one of the original Rigby .350Rs that was converted to .404J by Rigby.
The action is approximately 1mm shorter than my original Rigby .416R.

The rifle is trim and slim, the comb is very narrow just begging to hurt your cheek bone. Overall I really do not like it.

Lon

Marketing nostalgia............there are a lot of good vintage stories involving the 350 mag........ballistically it offers nothing special. But I still want one.................FWB

It's marketing, of course it's marketing. Catering to those who long for the days gone by. It's no different from anything else. Music, cars, clothes, even furniture. Everything that's old...is new again. Mostly it's because those people who can remember "the good old days" are now in a financial position to afford what they remember from their youth.

I also agree with @Tintin about the name "Lightweight"...calling it the "Plains Game" would be a significant upgrade.

On some level all these companies are struggling to come up with new ideas,..most are just regurgitating what’s already been done and acting like they are accomplishing something.

Lets hope they see sense and rename if to Plains Game, at least for .350 Rigby and .300 H&H. The .404 Jeffery should in my opinion be built on the same size components as the other calibres in the current Big Game-range.

Lets hope they see sense and rename if to Plains Game, at least for .350 Rigby and .300 H&H. The .404 Jeffery should in my opinion be built on the same size components as the other calibres in the current Big Game-range.
The 404J is built on the same big game model configuration as the 416 etc, they actually brought it out last year but I suppose just hadn't officially released it. At least that's how it was configured when I talked to them about it last year.

I don't know if it's just me but this new offering from Rigby doesn't really make sense to me? The Big Game rifles are chambered in exactly that, big game calibres- 375H&H, 416 Rigby & 450 Rigby. Rigby then offer the Highland Stalker in smaller calibres suitable for plains game etc but also chamber this model in the good ole 9.3X62 which alot of us already know is the legal minimum in quite a few African countries for DG.

• The new Big Game "lightweight" is chambered in 350 Rigby, which won't be legal for DG in the majority of African countries.
  • Is a smaller calibre than the 9.3X62
  • From my research and understanding this cartridge produces slightly less energy than the 9.3 though with modern powders the ballistic performance can probably be improved.
  • Typically uses a lighter weight projectile than the 9.3
  • Given the calibre, bullet weight and powder charge I can't see the 350 Rigby producing a significant amount of recoil (doesn't need to be chambered in a heavy rifle)
  • The new "lightweight" big game model in the 350 Rigby chambering still weighs around 9.3-9.5lbs, compared to the Highland Stalker in 9.3 which weighs around 7.8lbs and in my opinion is the perfect configuration and weight for the 9.3 chambering
So with all that being said, why chamber a lightweight version of the big game model in 350 Rigby? Wouldn't it have made more sense to chamber the Highland Stalker in 350 Rigby? Most of you already know I'm a Rigby fan boy and that's never going to change but yeah I am really struggling to understand this new offering. Also just to be clear my questioning of this new offering has nothing to do with the cartridge itself, it's the configuration of the rifle that doesn't make sense to me.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Below from the Rigby website.

Big Game Lightweight​

Chambered in .350 Magnum, the Lightweight features a slim profile 24-inch barrel, with the stock profile reproduced to mirror the vintage pre-war models housed in the Rigby Museum, with no cheek piece and larger hand-chequered panels. The rifle weighs 430grams less than the standard Big Game.
Big cat medicine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MicheleThu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?