Report Scam in AH Classifieds

I haven’t seen this scam yet on AH, but it is the popular one going around and I was hit up with It only a couple days ago trying to sell a set of Skis on FB.

Facts you all must understand. Every person reading this has had their credentials harvested(hacked) from some place at sometime. That Chevy forum you visited once? The registration for your kid’s school calendar? So your common username and password, or your email address and password for some site is On the darkweb and can be purchased with 10,000 other usernames and passwords for about a penny.

Now here is how your world gets turned upside down:

1.) You used that username and password on another site that does matter, like your bank, or your mobile provider, or some other financial site you care deeply about. Problem is, any high security site also requires you to use multi factor authentication too. So you have to put in a one-time PIN that comes to your phone.

2.) The scammer trying to buy your whatever or sell you a whatever says this: “You seem legit, but there are so many scams out there these days I need to verify your identity. I’m going to send you a code and you need to read it back to me“.

3.) That code is the PIN code for a one-time authentication at a site that matters: Airline, Bank, Cell, Travel, etc. If you give them that code, coupled with the already compromised username and password that happened to match another website that was hacked, they’ve got you. They can clean you out for your entire net worth and you are 100% finanancially liable. You didn’t protect your password, and you didn’t protect your PIN. The law says you deserve to lose everything and you’ll have no recourse.
Along those same lines I recently listed some property for sale by owner on Zillow. Within minutes I was bombarded by text messages from “Zillow Employees” wanting me to give them a Google verification code they were going to send me.

What they were doing was attempting to hack my g mail by getting me to give them the code to get around the 2 step authentication.

In a recent Classified here on AH.

It took me five minutes to figure this one out in the background too. Sorry, I have to sleep some time.

As J noted. NO ONE WAS HACKED, AH WAS NOT HACKED.

This is a simple confidence scam.

Here's the SCAM:

Buyer public post: "PM Sent"

SCAMMER: (TOTALLY DIFFERENT USER NAME, NOT THE SELLERS)
Sends PM to buyer moments after Buyer posts.

"Hey, I have the XYZ Commodity sellers number.
Great guy, bought three Camels from him last week. he sent me four. --
Here's his number. (999) 123 4657 Just text him the money."

Buyer send text: Sends money and awaits his XYZ commodity.

Seller public post:"Still for sale"

Buyer: What?, I sent you money.....

Ensuing entertainment for Scammer while they are spending the money.

PLEASE BE AWARE.

Last edited:
In a recent Classified here on AH.

It took me five minutes to figure this one out in the background too. Sorry, I have to sleep some time.

As J noted. NO ONE WAS HACKED, AH WAS NOT HACKED.

This is a simple confidence scam.

Here's the SCAM:

Buyer public post: "PM Sent"

SCAMMER: (TOTALLY DIFFERENT USER NAME, NOT THE SELLERS)
Sends PM to buyer moments after Buyer posts.

"Hey, I have the XYZ Commodity sellers number.
Great guy, bought three Camels from him last week. he sent me four. --
Here's his number. (999) 123 4657 Just text him the money."

Buyer send text: Sends money and awaits his XYZ commodity.

Seller public post:"Still for sale"

Buyer: What?, I sent you money.....

Ensuing entertainment for Scammer while they are spending the money.

PLEASE BE AWARE.
This explains why my mail order camel never arrived! Lol!
I've been somewhat lucky on AH and other sites. Never been outright scammed, but have received a couple rifles in a lesser condition than was advertised. Nothing major though. I just don't know how people sleep at night knowing they make a living off of dishonesty and deceit.

You mean @Jefferry404. Not sure what is going on but something does not seem right, I took over this account. Thank you @SLG for reporting this.

You mean @Jefferry404. Not sure what is going on but something does not seem right, I took over this account. Thank you @SLG for reporting this.
AFRICAHUNTING.COM, i want to be sure I’m following the “rules” and as I understand them - it is OK for me to PM a Member on this site…correct? I occasionally see Members stating they are looking to buy a particular item - is it ok to PM them directly or should it always be a post to the entire forum? I’m fine following whatever is the preferred standard

AFRICAHUNTING.COM, i want to be sure I’m following the “rules” and as I understand them - it is OK for me to PM a Member on this site…correct? I occasionally see Members stating they are looking to buy a particular item - is it ok to PM them directly or should it always be a post to the entire forum? I’m fine following whatever is the preferred standard
Hi @HankBuck, Unsolicited Conversation/Private Message (PM) to promote, sell or offer anything to members is not allowed. If a member is looking for a particular item or placed a Wanted ad in the Classifieds then yes it is okay to PM that member. You can read more about the Posting guidelines at the following link: https://www.africahunting.com/help/posting/

Can anyone define "tis the season"? again.
Without any online banking, minimal use. "My Visa was Hacked, again this Feb"

Thank you.

Can anyone define "tis the season"? again.
Without any online banking, minimal use. "My Visa was Hacked, again this Feb"

Thank you.
Not sure if this applies to you but will add my 2c. Had the same issue with CC fraud last year where roughly $1000 was charged to my VISA. This is done by cloning the card.
The answer, add your card to your "Wallet" on your phone, so instead of tapping your physical card to a card machine for a transaction, you open up your phone wallet and tap your phone.
The difference is that your virtual card chances your CCV number on the back of the card every 15minutes, which makes it impossible for them to clone it. With the physical card, that CCV number gets captured and opens up for fraudulent transactions. Not sure if I explained that adequately.

Not sure if this applies to you but will add my 2c. Had the same issue with CC fraud last year where roughly $1000 was charged to my VISA. This is done by cloning the card.
The answer, add your card to your "Wallet" on your phone, so instead of tapping your physical card to a card machine for a transaction, you open up your phone wallet and tap your phone.
The difference is that your virtual card chances your CCV number on the back of the card every 15minutes, which makes it impossible for them to clone it. With the physical card, that CCV number gets captured and opens up for fraudulent transactions. Not sure if I explained that adequately.
Thank you! .. how that works is really interesting & well worth the effort. Even with privacy assist, etc. I would typically go through this every 3 to 4 months throughout the year.
Many thanks.

Hi @HankBuck, Unsolicited Conversation/Private Message (PM) to promote, sell or offer anything to members is not allowed. If a member is looking for a particular item or placed a Wanted ad in the Classifieds then yes it is okay to PM that member. You can read more about the Posting guidelines at the following link: https://www.africahunting.com/help/posting/
Thank you for taking the time to explain this - as I should’ve been able to figure it out for myself with a closer reading of the “Posting Guidelines”

Is Jefferey404 legit? Or maybe he's been hacked? I had a very strange PM exchange with him, that he started based on a WTB ad that I put up quite a while ago.
SLG,
I gave all the info you asked for (put in 3 Hornady cartridges, measured the LOP, weighed the rifle,, measured the barrel length, photo of the rifle. As I was the original owner of this rifle and purchased in 1985. Since you had been looking for a while, I felt you should already have a price point. But when I asked this, you did not give a price but wanted more photos and I got frustrated.
I apologize
Steve

Not sure if it's been posted yet but asawqawssawew9 sent the seemingly common message below after I made a response post on a thread for some brass:

Hey bud
You can reach out to the seller via his cell below for fast response, he haven’t being online since he last posted

‪(850) 296-8308‬

Cheers

I remember being suspicious of it when I saw it in email, and kudos for the fact that it was deleted and never visible in my messages when I logged into the forum though.

In my case the seller responded to my message directly and I feel like I'm dealing with confidence in my first dealing on here. It's definitely a bit different than dealing with my local in-state forum site though.

One team, one fight.
Thanks for helping him find the door Jerome.
@BnC 04
I just hope the door hit him in the arse in the way out and he gets the message. I doubt it tho and he will pop up again somewhere else.
If'n it sounds to good to be true it probably is
Remember caveat emptor, buyer beware
Bob

SLG,
I gave all the info you asked for (put in 3 Hornady cartridges, measured the LOP, weighed the rifle,, measured the barrel length, photo of the rifle. As I was the original owner of this rifle and purchased in 1985. Since you had been looking for a while, I felt you should already have a price point. But when I asked this, you did not give a price but wanted more photos and I got frustrated.
I apologize
Steve
Well, I'm glad to hear you were not hacked.

This is the newest SCAM on AH.

I am calling this : The "Friendly Member" Scam
Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 18.47.28.png

ONLY DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE SELLER.

I have to commend two of our members for reporting a couple of scammers tonight.
@MunneY and @MT_Fin
:D Cheers:

Thanks Guys.

One suspicious SOB was a "brand new member" . stolen a picture for the avatar.
Five posts and tried to sell a rifle.
ALL IP addresses from Nigeria.

:V Shooting Smiley:

Another was the "Helpful member Scam" in the PM system. Reported.

:V Guillotine:

Banned and IP addresses blocked.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColinR

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.