Remington core lokt

Corelokt in my opinion is the best budget bullet on the market. Growing up I used them extensively (but honestly bought whatever was cheapest at the time..)… and have shot more NA game with them than I could begin to count…

My youngest daughter took a Rowland Ward waterbuck last year with a camp 30-06… when the PH handed her a box of 180gr corelokt to go hunt with, there was zero hesitation… there was zero doubt in my mind they were up to the task for any PG we might encounter..

For a non-bonded cup and core bullet, i find them better than Sierra (although they are amazingly accurate) or Hornady Interlocks. At high velocity close range they leave a lot to be desired. At moderate velocity (30-30 170g at 2100fps) they'er awesome.

So your negative to them is from something that happened over 30 years back?

Haven’t shot anything with them yet but bought a Howa 1500 and a box of 30-06 corelokt 150gr’s. 5/8” group at 100 so should work for pigs and deer in Aus :)
@Certus
They will work fine in pigs and smaller deer upto red but I would use a better bullet for Sambar
Bob

Pretty much all that was used on the ranch growing up. My dad would say when going into town on a vittals run to pick up a couple of boxes of 'greens' in .30-30 and .30-06.

Don't know how they are constructed today, but back then, in .30-06, they were intended for the 'classic' MV's - 150s @ ~2,900, 165s @ ~ 2,800, and 180s @ ~2,700. 'Course no one had a chronograph back then to check the actual MV's which just like today would have revealed 'enthusiastic' printed MVs on the boxes. At whatever actual MVs, they were effective killers on animals under 300 lbs.

In my 338WM, the 225 grain Core-Lokt shoot almost in the same hole as my 225 grain Swift A-Frame reloads. I prefer the AF but have four boxes of Core-Lokt as a backup plan. I have shot elk with them with good results.

I shot Core-Lokt 45 years ago out of my 270 Win, right up until I started reloading.
Have never shot one since after discovering much better bullets over the years.

In my 338WM, the 225 grain Core-Lokt shoot almost in the same hole as my 225 grain Swift A-Frame reloads. I prefer the AF but have four boxes of Core-Lokt as a backup plan. I have shot elk with them with good results.
I’ve actually shot all of my elk here with my Browning A Bolt .338WM with 225gr. Core Lokts. Until I became an AH member a few years ago and started reading all the bullet threads, I didn’t know the Core Lokts don’t work on game. Especially in Africa. I should have known better. LOL

Last edited:
From 243 to 35 Whelen never had a misfire, or bullet failure to expand or kill. Not always the most accurate but accurate enough. Good solid hunting ammo.
@MS 9x56
The newer Remington accutip are nothing more than Hornady V Max with a gold tip. So Remington is now loading Hornady projectiles as well as the good old corelock
Bob

Had a Hornady v max from my 250-3000 blow up on a coyote. Didn't penetrate the rib cage last box of those I ever bought. I will take a core lock anytime.
Well, the V Max IS a varmint bullet and probably a prairie dog sized varmint designed bullet anyway? I've only used them in my .22-250 on prairie dogs and they do well. HOWEVER, due to extenuating circumstances, the first African game animal I shot was a cull impala with my PH's well worn Howa 1500 in .243 with an 87gr. V Max. One shot in in the chest at about 100yds. and she was DRT. I was amazed! He told me that was his culling load for head shots on all PG.

I'm probably gonna get flak over this but on pigs my two favorite bullets are core lockts and partitions , I absolutely love rems core lockts in 35 remmys and most things 30cal , then nosler partitions for everything else but In my neck of the woods that's all It takes

I'm probably gonna get flak over this but on pigs my two favorite bullets are core lockts and partitions , I absolutely love rems core lockts in 35 remmys and most things 30cal , then nosler partitions for everything else but In my neck of the woods that's all It takes

No flak from me…

My favorite bullet for pigs is whatever is immediately available and cheapest… doesn’t matter if it’s a .22 rem yellow jacket or a 416 a-frame…

I hates me some corn thieving, deer and turkey inhibiting swine…

4 decades of shooting Core Lockts in .243, 308, 7mm rem mag, .338 win mag and .375 H&H. I don’t have a bad word to say, they were my number one choice in commercial non premium ammo. All accurate and knocked game down well, I still have stock of many at home And I’m still using them today.

Yeah, you're going to rot in AH bullet thread hell for that! LOL

Had a Hornady v max from my 250-3000 blow up on a coyote. Didn't penetrate the rib cage last box of those I ever bought. I will take a core lock anytime.
@MS 9x56
I used 40gn VMax out of my 22K Hornet at 2,900fps on two wild dogs at around a hundred yards. Both one shot kills. Both give their shoulder a nip like they had been bitten by something and just fell over. Didn't move off the spot.
Depends on the speed and the weight. The 87 grainers should have been fine at 3,100fps the 75 may have been a bit fragile tho. The VMax works well in the right weights for caliber.
Biv

This thread was started in 2013 but I'll chime in...

The heaviest eland bull I've ever shot (996kg hanging in the skinning shed) fell to a single 150gr Core-Lokt bullet from a 30-06.
Back then I had no idea that the Core-Lokt was a non-performer. Simply took aim and put the bullet exactly where it was supposed to go.

The only problem with Remington Core Lokts today is the price, I guess I'm just not up to date on ammunition costs today. Every time I pull out my old stock the pricing on the boxes makes me smile. It's the same with primers, my current Magnum rifle Remington primers has a $14 sticker on the box of 1,000. Sometimes I think what investments I made 20 years ago ...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DieterFerg

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.