Packing list

Hey all. June is fast approaching. Only 4 1/2 months til our first Trip to Africa!

I’ve been thinking about what exactly to pack and obviously I’ll be in contact with our outfitter but still I thought I’d ask all you experienced folks around here about what exactly to bring. We are headed to Limpopo Province for plains game. Flying Phoenix to Heathrow to Johannesburg. Renting rifles there just to keep things simple and not worry about that part. I’d prefer to fly with no check bags as that’s the way I like to fly all the time if I can help it. Heck for one week work trips I can basically just take a backpack if I’m just going to meetings all week. So far I feel like I can get away with a personal item and a carry on for everyone in our family. And yes the whole family is going. Wife and two kids.

So far all I can really think of is bringing Binos for everyone. Wife and one kid will have a camera as well. Figure travel clothes plus two sets of hunting clothes/person. Probably just wear my boots and pack my trail runner shoes. Figure the kids will probably wear shoes and pack sandals for around camp. Same for the wife. Toiletries for everyone. Hats will be worn on the plane or in backpacks. Was thinking of taking my tripod with rifle clamp since that’s how my kids typically shoot. They are both on the small side for their age as they are 9 and 10 and while they are good shots they struggle to support even a youth rifle on a rest so we clamp the rifle into the tripod. My daughter just shot a javelina like that last week at just shy of a 100 yards. So figured I could throw my tripod in my carry on easy enough. Paperwork (passports/ birth certificates for kids) and cash (US $ and some Rand) for tips and spending in my and wife’s backpack. No medications for anyone other than I usually have some Motrin, baby aspirin, and Tylenol PM on hand.

What else am I missing? I’m trying to keep it simple but we are traveling half way around the world.
Your outfitter likely will have a camera tripod you can borrow so you'll only have to take the clamp. Check with him.

Here's my packing list. You can ignore all the gun stuff. Police documents are for gun. I leave a couple of signed blank cheques for my daughter in case something happens to me in Africa and I'm temporarily (or permanently?) indisposed. That way she can quickly move money to her account until power of attorney can be activated. I have a dummy shotgun shell keychain fob that must be removed. Security won't let it on the plane. Ask me how I know!
Africa Trip List 2023-page-001.jpg

All great input, would reiterate recommendation on antihistamines. I had an allergic reaction to kudu - apparently some oil or something on the skin - and I had to pirate style to protect shooting eye for a few days, removing eye patch when it was time to shoot. Outfitter had a load of Rx at camp, but most of it was expired. Have fun.

I've only been on one safari but these folks pretty much covered it. I took a carry on and personal item backpack and was overpacked. I went in November so it was much hotter, but chapstick, sunscreen, boonie hat, sunglasses were a must. Headlamp, gaiters, croc shoes came in handy. I hiked 50 miles with good boots and didn't end up needing it, but had leukotape for blisters just in case. Dont know how bad bugs are out that time of year, but permethrin on clothing is always a good idea.

Something that hasn't been said/suggested is in regards to money, credit cards, documents, etc.:

All Documents:
DL, Passport, Birth Certificate, SS Card, CBP 4457('s), Letter of Invitation, Flight Itinerary, Travel Insurance, Medical Prescription(s), Medical Allergies, etc

1 copy per suit case/bag and on your person.

In case of lost: luggage, passport, medical care, you have paperwork to prove you are a US citizen.

Credit Card(s) /Debit Cards:

Make sure your Bank(s) and/or Credit Card company(ies) know you are traveling outside the USA and that you want to authorize the use of those cards outside the US from your departure date to your return home date. And Have the Bank / Credit Card company make a notation that you are going to be traveling outside the US.

Some Banks/Credit Card companies may decline or not allow transactions in certain countries.

You'll also want to be aware of you bank's service fees, foreign bank service fees, CC cash advance fees and interest charges.

Money and Credit Cards:

Designate 1 easy accessible pocket preferably with a button or snap flap for carrying "What Not" funds ie. Porter Tips, snacks, drinks, etc. money for items enroute to your outfitter. I recommend 20-40USD (1's, 5's, 10's) and R60-R80 (5's, 10's, 20's).

Designate a second easy accessible pocket again with a button or snap flap for carrying CC /DC, 100USD (1's, 5's, 10's,) and 200R (5's, 10's, 20's) this pocket is used for discreetly refunding the "What Not" pocket.

Designate a third pocket, money belt, etc. that isn't easily accessible to carry the bulk of your travel money.

Never show or flash a big amount of money, you never know who is watching. Avoid making yourself a target.

CBP 4457('s):
Cameras, computers, jewelry, phones, anything that is expensive you will want a CBP 4457 for these items to avoid paying import fees/taxes upon return to the US and/or as proof you owned these items prior to entering or exiting other counties.

Rather lengthy but this one post covers about 4-5-6 posts on various threads from the past regarding packing lists.

Chapstick has surprisingly become one of the most important items I can pack. Make sure you buy an outlet adapter for South Africa to charge your phones. Good thing in Limpopo is a store won’t be too far away. If you’d like to pack even lighter you can likely purchase many of the toiletries you’d bring on the way to camp. Many of their stores are as well stocked as ours are.
I live in Arizona. I have chapstick everywhere! Never go anywhere without it.
Something that hasn't been said/suggested is in regards to money, credit cards, documents, etc.:

All Documents:
DL, Passport, Birth Certificate, SS Card, CBP 4457('s), Letter of Invitation, Flight Itinerary, Travel Insurance, Medical Prescription(s), Medical Allergies, etc

1 copy per suit case/bag and on your person.

In case of lost: luggage, passport, medical care, you have paperwork to prove you are a US citizen.

Credit Card(s) /Debit Cards:

Make sure your Bank(s) and/or Credit Card company(ies) know you are traveling outside the USA and that you want to authorize the use of those cards outside the US from your departure date to your return home date. And Have the Bank / Credit Card company make a notation that you are going to be traveling outside the US.

Some Banks/Credit Card companies may decline or not allow transactions in certain countries.

You'll also want to be aware of you bank's service fees, foreign bank service fees, CC cash advance fees and interest charges.

Money and Credit Cards:

Designate 1 easy accessible pocket preferably with a button or snap flap for carrying "What Not" funds ie. Porter Tips, snacks, drinks, etc. money for items enroute to your outfitter. I recommend 20-40USD (1's, 5's, 10's) and R60-R80 (5's, 10's, 20's).

Designate a second easy accessible pocket again with a button or snap flap for carrying CC /DC, 100USD (1's, 5's, 10's,) and 200R (5's, 10's, 20's) this pocket is used for discreetly refunding the "What Not" pocket.

Designate a third pocket, money belt, etc. that isn't easily accessible to carry the bulk of your travel money.

Never show or flash a big amount of money, you never know who is watching. Avoid making yourself a target.

CBP 4457('s):
Cameras, computers, jewelry, phones, anything that is expensive you will want a CBP 4457 for these items to avoid paying import fees/taxes upon return to the US and/or as proof you owned these items prior to entering or exiting other counties.

Rather lengthy but this one post covers about 4-5-6 posts on various threads from the past regarding packing lists.
This is very helpful. Especially about the arrangement of cash in pockets and since we aren’t taking guns I didn’t think about the 4457 for cameras and phones.

Chapstick has surprisingly become one of the most important items I can pack. Make sure you buy an outlet adapter for South Africa to charge your phones. Good thing in Limpopo is a store won’t be too far away. If you’d like to pack even lighter you can likely purchase many of the toiletries you’d bring on the way to camp. Many of their stores are as well stocked as ours are.
SPF chapstick

This is very helpful. Especially about the arrangement of cash in pockets and since we aren’t taking guns I didn’t think about the 4457 for cameras and phones.
Don't forget power converters! Sometimes outfitter has them but they have a tendency to get legs so don't count on it.

I have never been bothered about proving ownership of phones or cameras. My phone contains a gallery with consecutive photos from years ago. Same with my cheap point and shoot camera. Both also are well worn. Little doubt they've been in my possession for a long time. Even a fancy camera should return through customs okay if it shows signs of wear. Buy a new Nikon SLR for the trip and yeah I would do the paperwork. Otherwise I think you're okay, especially everyday phones. That's like declaring underwear ... no one can live without a cell phone these days. There is a thread on here dedicated to the luxury watches some feel compelled to wear on safari. Yes, doing the customs paperwork for a ten grand wrist watch might be a good plan. Wearing one to go hunting maybe not such a good plan. My opinion. You have a family to look after so that kind of foolishness is probably inapplicable.

Don't forget power converters! Sometimes outfitter has them but they have a tendency to get legs so don't count on it.
Many items don’t need a converter just an outlet adapter. No cell phone needs a converter. It’s good to check what items actually need it before buying one.

Last edited:

I’ve been on a lot of international hunting trips. I’ve never been questioned on a 4457 for cell phones, cameras, binoculars and don’t have 4457 on them. I see no need. If you aren’t taking commercial quantities you will have no issues. However if you do want to put these on 4457 make sure it’s a separate 4457 from your rifle. Keep your rifle 4457 rifle only because it’s treated as a US gun license outside the US.

Loperamide hydrochloride tablets, should one encounter the runs

On my last hunt the outfitter didn't have adapters with USB ports in the rooms, so I was glad that mine did.

On the 4457, all it takes is one time for customs to question you on your electronics and or optics. I have a 4457 for both and whatever else that has a serial number on it.

Here is mine for my last hunt in Mozambique...

Airline Tickets (+ 1 copy)

Passport (+1 copy)

Invitation letters

RSA (+1 copy)

Mozambique (+ 1 copy)

Rifle Permits

RSZ (+1 copy)

Mozambique (+ 1 copy)

Form 4457 (+ 1 copy)

Travel Insurance – Tin Leg

Rifle Insurance – State Farm

Global Rescue Insurance – Tin Leg (+1 copy)

Double Rifle

Sling

Ammo Belt

20 rds ammo

10 solids

10 Soft Point

CZ 416

Sling

Ammo carrier

60 rds ammo

20 solids – Hornady

40 soft point – Hornady

Hard Case for rifles

2 soft cases for rifles

Clothing:

Hiking Boots

Spare Boots

Camp Shoes

4 pair Light Hiking Socks

4 - Underwear

3 - changes hunting clothing

Hunting Jacket

Light Fleece layer

2 Pair Hunting Shorts

Rain Jacket & pants

Brimmed Hat

Baseball Cap

Gloves

Water bottle(s)

Toiletries (2 sets – one in carry on, 1 in checked)

Belt

Gear:

Knife

Day pack

Zeiss Binoculars

Leupold Binoculars

Compass

Headlamp

Extra Batteries

Flashlight

Extra batteries

Clear safety glasses

Water bottle or Camelback

Sunglasses

Toilet Paper

Chapstick

PLB

USB Charger

Pocket knife (in checked luggage)

Gun Oil and cloth

Camera w/case

2 lenses

Sunscreen

Insect Repellant

2 -Towels

1 - Washcloth

Soap

Money

Lighter

220V Inverter

2 separate medication bags...

Carry On:

Malaria

Antibiotic

fiber

benedryl

prednizone

Tylenol

Check in:

Malaria

Antibiotic

fiber

benedryl

prednizone

Tylenol

Hey everyone. In a similar line as packing how much Rand would you suggest taking for small incidentals and such? Planned on doing US dollars for tips.

Hey everyone. In a similar line as packing how much Rand would you suggest taking for small incidentals and such? Planned on doing US dollars for tips.
Check with your outfitter as far as tipping the help in US dollars. Some won't have a way to convert it and it is then up to the outfitter to do it for them.

On my first safari I looked at the recommendations on the tipping thread and figured how much SA rand I needed for the help and trackers. I then took over enough US dollars to tip the PH in US funds. My last outfitter had a list on how much to tip each person that I would encounter. Most were around $5.00 a day with the tracker and skinners getting $10 a day.

Ask your PH. I have the PH or outfitter exchange US dollars for Rand usually. Saves me exchange rate fees usually by banks and or airports. Mine exchanges on what rate is the day I depart.

Check with your outfitter as far as tipping the help in US dollars. Some won't have a way to convert it and it is then up to the outfitter to do it for them.

On my first safari I looked at the recommendations on the tipping thread and figured how much SA rand I needed for the help and trackers. I then took over enough US dollars to tip the PH in US funds. My last outfitter had a list on how much to tip each person that I would encounter. Most were around $5.00 a day with the tracker and skinners getting $10 a day.

In RSA I was informed that PH and trackers were paid in USD and that trackers tip is normally half the amount of tip given to PH. While all others ie. cook(s), laundress, maid(s), skinners, Optional: other concession rep(s), tracker(s), skinner(s), taxidermist, if employed by outfit owner, [but only if you choose to, very few, clients have] are all tipped in ZAR (South Africa Rand).

In Zimbabwe I was informed all tips were in USD due to the Zimbabwean dollar was in such a devalued state and that Zimbabwean Government was wanting to boost / convert the Zimbabwe's economy to USD.

To answer your question on amount of ZAR to take, to have on hand, I usually arrive in Jo'berg with enough to last my trip; which is usually too much. But I would recommend at least R2000. More if you are overnighting in Jo'berg. An airport porter can be helpful for a first timer;
tip R20 - R40 depends on: if your bringing weapons, if traveling with family or in a group or excess luggage, and ZAR to USD daily exchange rate.

For me it make things easier by paying in ZAR for all of my eats, drinks and other purchases. When I arrive in PE I'll exchange USD to Rand based on my planned budgeted amount for tips and souvenir shopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.