Packing list

Elkeater

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hey all. June is fast approaching. Only 4 1/2 months til our first Trip to Africa!

I’ve been thinking about what exactly to pack and obviously I’ll be in contact with our outfitter but still I thought I’d ask all you experienced folks around here about what exactly to bring. We are headed to Limpopo Province for plains game. Flying Phoenix to Heathrow to Johannesburg. Renting rifles there just to keep things simple and not worry about that part. I’d prefer to fly with no check bags as that’s the way I like to fly all the time if I can help it. Heck for one week work trips I can basically just take a backpack if I’m just going to meetings all week. So far I feel like I can get away with a personal item and a carry on for everyone in our family. And yes the whole family is going. Wife and two kids.

So far all I can really think of is bringing Binos for everyone. Wife and one kid will have a camera as well. Figure travel clothes plus two sets of hunting clothes/person. Probably just wear my boots and pack my trail runner shoes. Figure the kids will probably wear shoes and pack sandals for around camp. Same for the wife. Toiletries for everyone. Hats will be worn on the plane or in backpacks. Was thinking of taking my tripod with rifle clamp since that’s how my kids typically shoot. They are both on the small side for their age as they are 9 and 10 and while they are good shots they struggle to support even a youth rifle on a rest so we clamp the rifle into the tripod. My daughter just shot a javelina like that last week at just shy of a 100 yards. So figured I could throw my tripod in my carry on easy enough. Paperwork (passports/ birth certificates for kids) and cash (US $ and some Rand) for tips and spending in my and wife’s backpack. No medications for anyone other than I usually have some Motrin, baby aspirin, and Tylenol PM on hand.

What else am I missing? I’m trying to keep it simple but we are traveling half way around the world.

Jackets, gloves (you are going in the winter), sun glasses (shooting glasses), sunscreen. Some form of ear pro. All this for everyone of course.

Awesome!!! What outfitter are you going with??

Take a charging adapter SA (ask outfitter) to USB and a portable USB battery to keep you phones and cameras charged.

You have it sorted. Don't over think it between now and then. You are on the right road.

Have fun!

I have only been once and maybe I’m the first person to under pack. I brought 3 pairs of hunting pants , well let’s just say the bush got the better of me with a hair of bad luck/timing a pair of my hunting paints ended up in the wrong sleeping quarters, so the next day headed a few hours to a different area to hunt spur winged goose. Absolutely ripped the crotch out of my pants and the place we were staying that night ended up being a local South African resort and being the only American there i couldn’t tell if it was that or the fact my only pair of pants was ripped to shreds so 4 pairs of pants from here on out.

Unsuccessfully tried to find the OP's I read along with the one I posted along with all the comments when I was planning my first safari in 2017.

Try looking up Critique my packing list or Safari Planning Guide and you should be able to find a packing list for the area and time of year you are going.

Happy hunting and don't forget when you return from your adventure we would like to read your hunting report.

Last edited:
Chapstick has surprisingly become one of the most important items I can pack. Make sure you buy an outlet adapter for South Africa to charge your phones. Good thing in Limpopo is a store won’t be too far away. If you’d like to pack even lighter you can likely purchase many of the toiletries you’d bring on the way to camp. Many of their stores are as well stocked as ours are.

I brought the rechargeable battery packs. There was no electricity in our cabins but the outfitter would charge our battery packs for us every couple days while we were out hunting.

Beanie, first aid kit, insect repellent/bites care, light rain gear and cigars!

It’s going to be cool in the mornings (it will be their winter). We like KUIU fleece that are wind proof and light for easy travel.

A wide brim hat for the afternoons but don’t forget one to cover your ears in the morning.

Chapstick and lotion. It’s dry in the winter months.

Keep it simple and travel light. They do laundry every day. Shouldn’t need much in the way of clothing.

Sounds like we are going to be at the same place at the same time! My first Africa trip is June 11-20. And I will be hunting in the Limpopo as well! Good luck!

There is a nice video from Philip Glass on packing can be found on youtube. Craig Boddington has one as well.

I depart for my first trip in one month (Feb 27). Working on assembling my packing list now. I have went to many of the outfitters on AH's websites. Most have a suggested packing list. While I haven't followed any verbatim, I have found a few items that I would not have thought of and developed my own list from viewing all of theirs. Hope this helps and have a great trip. I am sure your kids are beyond excited.
Jody

Awesome!!! What outfitter are you going with??

Take a charging adapter SA (ask outfitter) to USB and a portable USB battery to keep you phones and cameras charged.

You have it sorted. Don't over think it between now and then. You are on the right road.

Have fun!
Totally forgot I had already bought a charger adapter so that reminds me to find it in the safe. And we always have 2-3 battery packs along on every adventure so those will be going with as well.

Going with Sensational Hunting Safaris in the Waterburg area.

Beanie, first aid kit, insect repellent/bites care, light rain gear and cigars!
Added beanies, small travel first aid, rain jackets and Cigars to the list! I always take cigars n hunting trips if I can since I’m generally not allowed to have them at home.

Craig Boddington has a nice Youtube video with a more exhaustive list, but a few things beyond the obvious:

-Warm clothing in layers - you'll probably see temperatures in 30's, and in the 70's - a gaiter is a lifesaver
-Beyond gloves for warmth, you'll want gloves to protect your hands while you're crawling on the ground - which is pretty common when stalking.
-Ibuprofen, wonder drug, was very helpful when I got a cold one year.
-Money belt - nice to have for the cash you'll need for tips
-Flashlights - a good large one, and a pocket size for your bedside
-A gift for your PH

Hey all. June is fast approaching. Only 4 1/2 months til our first Trip to Africa!

I’ve been thinking about what exactly to pack and obviously I’ll be in contact with our outfitter but still I thought I’d ask all you experienced folks around here about what exactly to bring. We are headed to Limpopo Province for plains game. Flying Phoenix to Heathrow to Johannesburg. Renting rifles there just to keep things simple and not worry about that part. I’d prefer to fly with no check bags as that’s the way I like to fly all the time if I can help it. Heck for one week work trips I can basically just take a backpack if I’m just going to meetings all week. So far I feel like I can get away with a personal item and a carry on for everyone in our family. And yes the whole family is going. Wife and two kids.

So far all I can really think of is bringing Binos for everyone. Wife and one kid will have a camera as well. Figure travel clothes plus two sets of hunting clothes/person. Probably just wear my boots and pack my trail runner shoes. Figure the kids will probably wear shoes and pack sandals for around camp. Same for the wife. Toiletries for everyone. Hats will be worn on the plane or in backpacks. Was thinking of taking my tripod with rifle clamp since that’s how my kids typically shoot. They are both on the small side for their age as they are 9 and 10 and while they are good shots they struggle to support even a youth rifle on a rest so we clamp the rifle into the tripod. My daughter just shot a javelina like that last week at just shy of a 100 yards. So figured I could throw my tripod in my carry on easy enough. Paperwork (passports/ birth certificates for kids) and cash (US $ and some Rand) for tips and spending in my and wife’s backpack. No medications for anyone other than I usually have some Motrin, baby aspirin, and Tylenol PM on hand.

What else am I missing? I’m trying to keep it simple but we are traveling half way around the world.
Go to search and enter in member section @Philip Glass then enter packing list in subject section. best there is

It will be wintertime in Africa in 4.5 months and too cold for sandals, IMO - at least in RSA. I suggest sneakers are a better option than sandals if outside - especially at night around the campfire. Socks (+ pants and shirts) treated with Sawyers permethrin are also helpful if mosquitoes are possible (near sunset).

+1 on the @Philip Glass packing videos. There are at least two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.