One gun or two? On safari

If buffalo was not on the list (but it will be for OP), I think .375 would be overkill for just about all plains game. May as well bring something softer to shoot with more range and easier to carry. If an unexpected opportunity arises for DG, as it did on my first safari, borrow a rifle. I only brought my 30-06 on that safari and a deal came up for culling a very fine old cow buff. I used my PH's CZ 375. I think .308 might be a bit light for eland but 30-06 with the right bullet should do the job. Having said that, I admit to dragging my newly built 404 off to Montana last year to hunt elk because it didn't see any action earlier in Africa. Still hasn't been fired at a live target. I did shoot a few plains game in Africa but refused to waste my very precious 404 ammo on impala or springbuck when 30-06 is along for that work.

My shortest safari was 1 month, my longest almost 3. If I'm going to spend 3 days getting somewhere and the same getting home - I'm going to stay there and not feel rushed or pressed for time. I extend my hunts, add additional hunts, add a fishing trip - anything.

I do not worry about traveling light, that's what excess baggage fees are for.

For many years I have subscribed to the belief, "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

I have found 3 guns works out quite well: a double rifle - 450/400 or 500NE, a 375 H&H, and one of the following, depending on game - 458 Lott, 300 Win Mag, 300 Wtherby.

Can you get by with just a 375 - absolutely.

Can something happen to one of your rifles - absolutely.

I watched a PH trip and jamb the muzzle of his rifle straight into the ground, I fell and stuck mine in the mud, we hit a hippo on a river last year and my 375 flew out of my hands - I caught it, but it could have easily gotten damaged.

My point is, I'm a long way from home, I'm there to hunt, shit happens, and a rifle sitting in a gun cabinet half way around the world - does me no good.

Others may (and will) disagree - all I can say is, do what works for you.

I am reminded of the transplanted Texan I took whitetail hunting in Montana a few years ago. He had seven guns in the truck with us! Why? Because he likes toys (and he had a lot of em). Well, that's just fine. Nice guy. Wonder where he is today.

I am reminded of the transplanted Texan I took whitetail hunting in Montana a few years ago. He had seven guns in the truck with us! Why? Because he likes toys (and he had a lot of em). Well, that's just fine. Nice guy. Wonder where he is today.
Hopefully out playing with his toys - or buying more.

One consideration of minor concern... I had a client show up, but the airline sent his rifle case elsewhere... he had TWO fine rifles... never seen again. Half that pain could have been avoided if he had only packed one... it was a moose hunt after all, and when he inquired about bringing a back-up rifle, I told him I had several fine rifles zeroed and ready to hunt, that he could use at no charge if something happened to his rifle. He later kicked himself for packing the two.

I would always take two guns that are both suitable for the largest animal on my list. This way if something happens to one of my guns, I am not forced to borrow/rent a gun.
My first safari for tuskless and buffalo plus plains game I took a 500/416 and 416 Rigby. I broke the stock on the 500/416 but was able to finish the hunt with the Rigby. Last hunt took a 470 and 375. I did not get at buff but shot all my plains game with the 375. Iike Matt85 says, 2 suitable for the largest game.

One consideration of minor concern... I had a client show up, but the airline sent his rifle case elsewhere... he had TWO fine rifles... never seen again. Half that pain could have been avoided if he had only packed one... it was a moose hunt after all, and when he inquired about bringing a back-up rifle, I told him I had several fine rifles zeroed and ready to hunt, that he could use at no charge if something happened to his rifle. He later kicked himself for packing the two.
My first two safaris I traveled with that anxiety. The last two there's been an AirTag in the guncase. Those gizmos are a game changer for anyone who wants to fly with guns. Don't eave home without one!

Always take 2 rifles so on the last day of your hunt and the animals haven't cooperated by letting your bow hunting buddy to get close enough for a shot, he can borrow your rifle to get his Roosevelt Sable.:D
ciqaaJEh.jpg

I have gone on 12 international hunts (6 in Africa) and only once did I take two rifles, my .375 RUM for buffalo and a 7 mm RM for plains game. I ended up shooting about half of my PG on that trip with my .375 RUM because on many of our stalks it was just 3 of us, myself, my PH, and the head tracker and I didn't want to ask them to carry a second rifle for me.

On two of my African hunts I did borrow a rifle from my PW. The first time was a South African hunt that I only brought my .375 RUM, and one of the animals that I wanted to hunt was a Cape Grysbok. If I got one I wanted to have a full mount of him and I thought a 270 gr Barnes TSX at 3043 fps would cause too much damage (like it had done earlier on a Steenbuck and a Jackal) so I borrowed a .308 Win with FMJ bullets from the landowner, and one of them worked perfectly on my Grysbok.

On my next South African hunt, 2 of the animals that I wanted to hunt were an African Civet and a Caracal. I only took my .300 Weatherby on that hunt, but I had worked up a load with 150 gr FMJ bullets for it for those small cats. On the last night of that hunt we sat in a blind that overlooked a field where the camp disposed of the animal parts that the camp staff didn't eat. It would be a little over a 100 yd shot.

The first animal to come in was a Civet, and my 150 gr FMJ bullet basically killed him instantly. My PH wanted to wait to go down to get him, and a while later a Caracal came in. When I squeezed the trigger of my .300 Wby there was just a loud CLICK. I was sure that I had cycled a new shell into the chamber after I shot the Civet, but when I worked the bolt, a new shell would not chamber. With my first shot, the primer did not ignite the powder, but it had enough force to push the bullet into the barrel.

Luckily, my PH had a .22 LR rifle in the truck, which he got, and my first shot hit, but did not kill the Caracal. My PH then told my that there were only 2 cartridges for that rifle, and I had just shot one. I was confident that I could make the last bullet count, which I did because we didn't have any other guns with us.
The next day...
jpyBj6Lh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan to take two on my up coming SA trip. A 375HH and a 308W. But, if taking two bolt guns, I like the idea of taking two that feel and function the same. Same stock, safety, trigger, etc.

I my case, I have two FN Browning Hi-Power rifles. One is a Medallion Grade in 308 with a 2.5-8x scope and the other is a Safari Grade in 375HH with a Z6i optic. Except for the weight difference they feel and operate the same and out to about 200y shoot to the same POI. While I am still considering only taking the 375 for the trip, I do like the idea of having a 2nd rifle even if I do not use it much.

Twins.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Take as many as you like. I have done one, two and three gun safaris. I usually use camp guns but often bring my own. A .22 is handy, don't forget that one.

Oh boy I am not the right person for this. I'll take a truck load of guns a couple hours across Texas for hunts :LOL:. Having never been to Africa for pleasure, I am speaking in hypotheticals here. I personally plan to bring my 404 and a 30/06. When I have my double I plan on bringing that too.

By then it might change to the double and a 9.3. The world is an oyster right?

When I went on my buffalo/hippo/elephant hunt, I took only my 404. Shot at least 6 plains game animals, never once felt my rifle handicapped me.

I always considered my rifle caliber 460 Weatherby Magnum, a rifle which I used very often when hunting in Africa, to be my working rifle for everything. I shot with this rifle from the bustard to the elephant. The cartridge 460 Weatherby Magnum as a good external ballistics which allows you also to shoot at greater distances if necessary, but this is not possible with all big bore rifles. I also shot elephants with the cartridge 500 Schüler, but in this case the options for hunting plain game were somewhat limited. It worked on plain game to a certain extent, but I had to limit myself. In such cases it is certainly advisable to take another rifle smaller caliber with you if you want to shoot some more game as only elephants.

I’ve only ever taken 1 rifle to Africa on a trip. I’ve never felt limited by only having a 375 H&H but there have been hunts I wish I could have traded my 300 Win Mag for a 375 H&H. For a primary buffalo hunt and plains game shots that will be inside 300 yards in the same region The 375 H&H as a one gun safari is the best option in my opinion. Rental rifles are available if someone wants a smaller rifle for some reason.

When I talk about a second rifle in addition to a bigger one, I am primarily thinking of a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum or maybe 9,3x64 Brenneke, the latter because I have never own a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum, but a few rifles caliber 9,3x64 Brenneke. This keeps the option for hunting big game with such rifles wildly open, which is not the case with rifles in caliber smaller than .375 or 9,3mm.

I plan to take two on my up coming SA trip. A 375HH and a 308W. But, if taking two bolt guns, I like the idea of taking two that feel and function the same. Same stock, safety, trigger, etc.

I my case, I have two FN Browning Hi-Power rifles. One is a Medallion Grade in 308 with a 2.5-8x scope and the other is a Safari Grade in 375HH with a Z6i optic. Except for the weight difference they feel and operate the same and out to about 200y shoot to the same POI. While I am still considering only taking the 375 for the trip, I do like the idea of having a 2nd rifle even if I do not use it much.

View attachment 592470
Time to pressure wash and staIn the deck.

I recommend one gun unless Hunting DG with a double. Once you are familiar and proficient with a .375 you will see there is no reason for another gun for most of Africa. If you take two guns you will never have the one handy that you need!
spot on. I take two because one is always my double due to nostalgia the other is my 375 or 404J

Take as many as you like. I have done one, two and three gun safaris. I usually use camp guns but often bring my own. A .22 is handy, don't forget that one.
Can't bring a rimfire to some African countries. This is the one to borrow

Can't bring a rimfire to some African countries. This is the one to borrow
Thanks for the info on rimfires. Can you elaborate on which countries a rimfire cannot be imported?

More specifically: Can a 22 mag rimfire be temporarily imported into RSA?

Thanks for the info on rimfires. Can you elaborate on which countries a rimfire cannot be imported?

More specifically: Can a 22 mag rimfire be temporarily imported into RSA?
Upgrade to a 17REM, 204RUGER or 22HORNET and it removes any questions.

Upgrade to a 17REM, 204RUGER or 22HORNET and it removes any questions.
I’m curious the answer on 22 rimfire as well. The options you listed really defeat the purpose of a 22 if you wanted to bring your own to shoot birds with your own rifle and not waste them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VaniaParkh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani