poco

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Mexico, Canada,USA, Spain, Morocco
I’m thinking about just taking the 375 for everything ( buff , eland, kudos , waterbuck , nyala)
then someone mentioned maybe I should take the .308 also for the smaller stuff just in case
I don’t think there’s a just in case? ( wife definitely doesn’t want to hunt for anything, buddies wife might?)

.375 Holland & Holland will do just fine for everything with the 300Gr bullets. Make sure to zero in your rifle for it's maximum point blank range. Telescopic sight should have quick detachable mounts and not too high magnification.

That said, for aspiring first time hunters who are going on Safari to Africa and are persistent in bringing two rifles...

I always recommend a pair of Winchester Model 70s- One in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum (or .416 Remington Magnum if elephant happens to be on your menu) and one in .30-06 Springfield (or .300 Winchester Magnum, if you prefer taking shots at plains game out to longer ranges). The .308 Winchester is perfectly adequate too and can do almost everything that the .30-06 Springfield can.

Last edited:
I would always take two guns that are both suitable for the largest animal on my list. This way if something happens to one of my guns, I am not forced to borrow/rent a gun.

If your friend’s wife can handle the 375 then you’re all set. If not, might take your 308 as well?

I would always take two guns that are both suitable for the largest animal on my list. This way if something happens to one of my guns, I am not forced to borrow/rent a gun.
Matt, that is smart. So maybe I'd take my .458 Lott Enfield to compliment my .375 Wby Enfield. Makes sense if something happens to the big boomer. You'd have the Super Boomer for backup. I was originally thinking if I took two, it'd be the .375 Roy and a .30-06 or .264 Winchester for lighter stuff. Decisions Decisions :)

In '21 I took a 375 Ruger for buff and 30-06 for plains game. Upon arrival my 375 shot great but my -06 was shooting a horrible group in the heat. Didn't worry about looking for other ammo, just picked up the 375 after the buff and proceeded to take 4 more plains game. You don't need the 308, just know the drop for longer shots and get hunting.

Last edited:
I’m thinking about just taking the 375 for everything ( buff , eland, kudos , waterbuck , nyala)
then someone mentioned maybe I should take the .308 also for the smaller stuff just in case
I don’t think there’s a just in case? ( wife definitely doesn’t want to hunt for anything, buddies wife might?)
Makes perfect sense with the 375 for everything. I only take two guns because one is my DR and the other is a bolt action

Poco, I was figuring on doing the same thing when I finally get to go. Take my .375 Weatherby that I built and use 300gr A-Frames on everything. One gun, one load. Keeps it simple :)
Funny thing is I bought a Mark Bansner built .375 RUM for a do everything safari rifle years ago. It has never been made the trip. :)

Just take the 375. If it is a quality rifle, the chance of it failing is near zero. Simple is better.
You seriously underestimate baggage handlers in RSA. I had some trouble with my Winchester M70 after it was thrown from the cargo hold of an aircraft... the impact was so great it broke the pelican case!

375 and something larger is my preference. Though on my leopard hunt it was a 300 win mag and a 458 win mag. I like to have 2 in case one breaks for whatever reason. Do I need it probably not but I feel better.

I always recommend taking one, versatile rifle chambered in a caliber suitable for the toughest animal you intend to hunt. I always take 2. So my advice is doo doo. :p

You seriously underestimate baggage handlers in RSA. I had some trouble with my Winchester M70 after it was thrown from the cargo hold of an aircraft... the impact was so great it broke the pelican case!
I lost an skb case the same way 8 inch by 3 inch chunk of plastic just gone

Baggage weight limits allow for 2, you have 2, things go wrong, take 2.
Even better if parts interchange (Blaser R8).

Have fun, best of luck.

If you're into wildcats and/or customs, bring 2 guns (1 std, widely-available caliber and your pet.) Why? Because Namibia! ;) (racket between airport/police/transportation people whereby your ammo eventually shows up days later.) The "bad guy" wouldn't have to say it if the situation didn't really exist! LOL The PH got us "contingency ammo." for the first couple of days, as ALL ammo went missing after we saw it at the Windhoek Aiport. :p Total BS for someone that's worked so hard in every manner to prepare. As a result, I've been handed boxes of ammo that groups 2" at best (or worse yet, ziploc bags of leftover, mis-matched ammo that shoots 6" groups as a result.) LOL Not to be respected, but expected.

*the situation is so bad in some areas the PH will say "you jerked the trigger" when your shot is off many inches, when in-fact it'd be DTR if the fucks just left your one-hole groups ammo in your f'n bag at the airport! ;) at times, i felt like i had paid a LOT of money only to see Laurel & Hardy re-create an act for me, unsolicited. :( Of course, youbegrudgingly re-sight your gun in with the shit ammo and it's not ideal... :( Being real costs nothing. Bullshitting....that Costs! And, as inferred African BS sticks out like the proverbial child's sore thumb.

Last edited:
I’ve done safaris with one, two and three rifles. I have come to the conclusion that one rifle suitable for all intended game, and one shotgun if birds are available, is the right solution for me. After a couple spots of trouble, I have also concluded that I will not traipse around DG country with less than a 9.3x62 or .375 even if DG is not the intended quarry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James B Radebaugh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.