Old firearms ad

In about 2005-2006, I bought two Model 91 Mosin Nagants and one M44 Mosin carbine for $80 each at Big 5 sporting goods. I also bought one British Enfield for $180 and a Garand for $800 from Big 5. All used though. Don't have any of them now.
Nice deal on some good firearms. Sad you don't at least have the Garand in your inventory.

Nice deal on some good firearms. Sad you don't at least have the Garand in your inventory.
The Garand was a South Korean rifle with a mahogany(?) stock. 1942 Springfield. The barrel was already almost shot out when I bought it. Eventually the stock started to fall apart and sometimes upon ejection of a cartridge, the extractor was almost tearing the cartridge head off the case. Now THAT is strong extraction. So, something was going on in the chamber probably and I didn't have the time or knowledge to deal with it. Anyway, the enabling bastards here pushed me to sell off that and the others to fund a large bore rifle purchase.

My first rifle at 16 years old was a Mosin I got from Big5 for $50. Prices are insane these days!

Cash_tx, I still have my Ruger Deerslayer (it's not for sale.) Seems to me I remember Springfield 03(s) being sold for $19.95 plus $5.00 shipping and handling via REA Express. I had a large newspaper route at the time, and could have covered the cost with less than a week's pay. I distinctly remember asking why I should buy a 50 year old Military rifle. But at 14, what the hell did I know?

The Garand was a South Korean rifle with a mahogany(?) stock. 1942 Springfield. The barrel was already almost shot out when I bought it. Eventually the stock started to fall apart and sometimes upon ejection of a cartridge, the extractor was almost tearing the cartridge head off the case. Now THAT is strong extraction. So, something was going on in the chamber probably and I didn't have the time or knowledge to deal with it. Anyway, the enabling bastards here pushed me to sell off that and the others to fund a large bore rifle purchase.

These shameless hussies. To think no one tried to get you to have it rechambered and rebarrelled to a 458WM or Lott. Or any other caliber that starts with .4. Then have the stock replaced with some elegant, hand rubbed wood, replacing the steel buttplate with soft red rubber to help with recoil.

Tough choice....M-N 91 or 303 Enfield. I would have kept one of the M91 M-N and sporterized it.....oh wait, I did sporterize my M91 M-N.

Then listen to these hussies, sell the rest to fund a 375H&H or 9.3 x 74R.

:LOL::LOL:

These shameless hussies. To think no one tried to get you to have it rechambered and rebarrelled to a 458WM or Lott. Or any other caliber that starts with .4. Then have the stock replaced with some elegant, hand rubbed wood, replacing the steel buttplate with soft red rubber to help with recoil.

Tough choice....M-N 91 or 303 Enfield. I would have kept one of the M91 M-N and sporterized it.....oh wait, I did sporterize my M91 M-N.

Then listen to these hussies, sell the rest to fund a 375H&H or 9.3 x 74R.

:LOL::LOL:
Ha! Ha! The M44 carbine was like NEW. I knew why when I shot it. I'd rather shoot my .458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM all day than shoot that straight stocked mule kicking SOB! I'm going to buy another Garand eventually. I just saw $ signs when I would think about changing out the barrel and stock. The receiver was in great shape and the guy I sold it to didn't care about the barrel or stock as he just wanted the 1942 receiver and it had something to do with the serial number. More power to him! One of the 91s had an "octagonal" receiver. It wasn't actually octagonal but that's what I called it. From the Tula factory. The Enfield was a little rough but they all shot great with open sights.

Ha! Ha! The M44 carbine was like NEW. I knew why when I shot it. I'd rather shoot my .458 WINCHESTER MAGNUM all day than shoot that straight stocked mule kicking SOB! I'm going to buy another Garand eventually. I just saw $ signs when I would think about changing out the barrel and stock. The receiver was in great shape and the guy I sold it to didn't care about the barrel or stock as he just wanted the 1942 receiver and it had something to do with the serial number. More power to him! One of the 91s had an "octagonal" receiver. It wasn't actually octagonal but that's what I called it. From the Tula factory. The Enfield was a little rough but they all shot great with open sights.

I looked at getting a carbine for the asking price. It might have turned out to be a nice little carbine when I got finished with it. But my intent was to have a nice clean line full rifle.

After selling these firearms, what did you end up replacing them with?

I have a Ruger 44 still, and carry it every year for the morning watch when deer hunting. I just purchased a mount and red dot for it as my eyes are not what they used to be.
IMG_2628.jpeg

I looked at getting a carbine for the asking price. It might have turned out to be a nice little carbine when I got finished with it. But my intent was to have a nice clean line full rifle.

After selling these firearms, what did you end up replacing them with?
The funds went towards my CZ 550 Lott and .375.

No problem. Make out your list. But if you program that DeLorean to about 5 miles from Klein's we could save the freight charges and buy a "couple" of more items.:cool:
Before you fire up the DeLorean, there are a few "practical" issues to consider. For example, how are you going to pay for all of these items?

Very few people had credit cards in those days. The CC company you use now might not have existed in 1950. And most credit cards these days lack the raised embossing needed to run the card.

Dollar bills in larger denominations have undergone numerous changes during the past 20 years in an effort to combat counterfeiting. Unfortunately, those security measures (and the "Series dates") would make currently-issued bills look like funny money. So unless you have access to large amounts of pre-1950 paper money, cash is out.

You could write a check, but given the M&A activity over the past 40 years, would the bank have even existed back then? Of course, your account would not have existed so upon your return to the present-time, you might be subject to arrest for passing worthless checks. (Statute of Limitations might save you though).

You could use silver (no gold coins available) but that might turn out to be a wash in terms of savings.

I'm going out to scrounge some fuel for the flux-capacitor. I leave it to you wise souls to sort out these annoying little details. :cool:

No choice at all -- "Rule 303" applies!

Before you fire up the DeLorean, there are a few "practical" issues to consider. For example, how are you going to pay for all of these items?

Very few people had credit cards in those days. The CC company you use now might not have existed in 1950. And most credit cards these days lack the raised embossing needed to run the card.

Dollar bills in larger denominations have undergone numerous changes during the past 20 years in an effort to combat counterfeiting. Unfortunately, those security measures (and the "Series dates") would make currently-issued bills look like funny money. So unless you have access to large amounts of pre-1950 paper money, cash is out.

You could write a check, but given the M&A activity over the past 40 years, would the bank have even existed back then? Of course, your account would not have existed so upon your return to the present-time, you might be subject to arrest for passing worthless checks. (Statute of Limitations might save you though).

You could use silver (no gold coins available) but that might turn out to be a wash in terms of savings.

I'm going out to scrounge some fuel for the flux-capacitor. I leave it to you wise souls to sort out these annoying little details. :cool:

Since I was born...AH hmm....the monetary problem won't really be a problem. The problem lies in convincing my Great Great Grandfather and other assorted relatives that I am kinfolk from the future, being extremely careful not to change the events that led up to my parents marriage and my birth.

Since the DeLorean is a time machine the weeks that I will be gone will only be but seconds.

Aahh...you don't by any chance have any relatives in the Klien's store area do you? Because I would have to avoid disturbing your family tree as well.:A Thumbs Up:

Boyd Brooks, my Ruger Deerslayer (the 44 carbine) now wears a Red Dot for the same reason yours does.
Does your Deerslayer have a black synthetic stock? The reason I ask is that a LGS has a black synthetic stocked Ruger "something?" in .44 Mag for $1100 used, but it looks kind of like a Mini 14. All black. I just glanced at it. Thanks!

My first rifle at 16 years old was a Mosin I got from Big5 for $50. Prices are insane these days!

mine was an italian carcano that my dad bought for I think $20..

a couple of years later I upgraded to an SMLE that I paid $65 for I believe..

I dont miss the carcano.. but I definitely miss that SMLE.. it was a great shooter and was really well preserved for an old WWII warhorse.. but I was young.. and as quickly as I thought I could upgrade, I sold it off, put a little additional money together and bought a mid 60's husqvarna sporter in 30-06... which I also miss horribly.. but then traded it off for a mid 80's Rem 700 as soon as I could afford to "trade up"..

What I wouldnt give to get some of those old rifles back now...

Does your Deerslayer have a black synthetic stock? The reason I ask is that a LGS has a black synthetic stocked Ruger "something?" in .44 Mag for $1100 used, but it looks kind of like a Mini 14. All black. I just glanced at it. Thanks!
My Deerslayer has a wood stock.

the monetary problem won't really be a problem. The problem lies in convincing my Great Great Grandfather and other assorted relatives that I am kinfolk from the future,
No such problems here. None of my relatives could have fronted the money to us. Great-grandad had been deceased for about 50 years. Grandad lost almost everything during the Great Depression. Hard work had brought him back to solvency, but there was not much money for frivolous purchases. I did have one "rich uncle" who could have helped, but his wealth wouldn't arrive until the mid-1960s. Maybe we could stop off in 1965 and borrow money from him before proceeding on to 1950?

Dad actually sold a gun during the time-frame of this advertisement; a German Luger that he'd brought back from the war. I think that he got around $50 for it; try buying one for that now. People forget that there were still rough spots after the war, and the economic recovery was nowhere near steady, with some lean times sprinkled amongst the good. He always regretted selling it, but with the needs of a growing family, it made sense to him at the time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClydeBold4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?