New Weatherby Rifle

Yes, it is a 300 Weatherby. I’ll look in the book and post later.

@HankBuck
Mate you is old. Sometimes I think a blow up doll would be better at least they don't nag you or complain. Then I get a kiss from my wife and I forget about the nagging.
Bob
Bob, certain posts make remind of my age more then others and now that a “wood stock” is considered Nostalgic (I thought a Damascus exposed hammer shotgun was “Nostaclgic”??) —- I’m must admit I’m a product from a bygone era ……but I was damn cool in the 1980s !!

Bob, certain posts make remind of my age more then others and now that a “wood stock” is considered Nostalgic (I thought a Damascus exposed hammer shotgun was “Nostaclgic”??) —- I’m must admit I’m a product from a bygone era ……but I was damn cool in the 1980s !!
@HankBuck
I'm hearing you.
In the mid 70s and early 80s I thought I was shit hot ( really cool). My mates agreed but said I was 99% shit and 1% hot.
That's life tho.
Bob

@bobdahunter84
I have put 3 shots thru a 460 and that cured me of ever wanting to buy one. But it can be downloaded to Lott or 458 to make it more pleasant.
Bob

And I used one a fair bit many years ago
Got whacked a few times by the Kahles scope - worst headaches ever and I might add - instantly

Very nice and a 300 Weatherby caliber? Not quite the typical Weatherby stick but it still keeps the lines...I like it. How old is that rifle?...just asking

According to Wetherby book The Man. The Gun. The Legend. This rifle was made in 1986, in Japan. I believe the Japanese made Weatherby had the better wood and best bluing than any other made Weatherbys. I'm actually thinking about putting it up for sale.

Well, if you’re interested or anyone else, how about $1500.00 plus shipping from my FFL to your FFL.

After extensive research in the 90's, I purchased a 340 Wtherby Magnum in the Mark V Euro. Had Answer Products strip it down, cryogenically treat the 26" barrel and restock it in a synthetic, After installing a muzzle brake and a special recoil pad, this rifle not only had the recoil of a 270, it was very light and accurate. Scoped her in Swarovski. Trips to AK, and Africa mostly resulted in one shot kills. Took a close frontal shot, (70 yds), on a cow elk. She backed up one step and fell over! Bullet exited opposite hindquarter! Swift A frames are the only medicine I feed her and she likes it! However...her bark is LOUD!

In my younger days i hunted goats with my mk5 340 WM one day down prone shooting a cross a gully at a goat on the next hill i got a scope cut eyebrow i think i was 20 now at 77 i still have the scar.
Goats appear to have the ability to always be on the next hill!. my son has a mk5 257 WM with a beautiful wood stock one of the first rifles built in Wyoming.

In my younger days i hunted goats with my mk5 340 WM one day down prone shooting a cross a gully at a goat on the next hill i got a scope cut eyebrow i think i was 20 now at 77 i still have the scar.
Goats appear to have the ability to always be on the next hill!. my son has a mk5 257 WM with a beautiful wood stock one of the first rifles built in Wyoming.
@rdog
The 257 Weatherby is a fine longer range rifle.
With a nice 100gn or 115&117gn shoots as flat as a shit carters hat.
Bob

@radname
The 30-378 is a handful in a 9# rifle without a brake. I can only imagine what it will be like in a 6.6# rifle
Bob
Well Bob, as you predicted recoil is stout. I shot a Hornady "Precision Hunter" 220gr ELDX standing offhand and it definitely has some recoil. I still feel like the trade off is worth it in a rifle I will end up carrying a lot more than I end up shooting. I will use the muzzlebrake when I'm practicing, but not when I'm hunting and I don't think I will even notice the recoil when I'm shooting at an animal. I won't hunt with the muzzlebreak because I'm not willing to wear ear protection while hunting, and muzzlebreaks are just way to loud.

Well Bob, as you predicted recoil is stout. I shot a Hornady "Precision Hunter" 220gr ELDX standing offhand and it definitely has some recoil. I still feel like the trade off is worth it in a rifle I will end up carrying a lot more than I end up shooting. I will use the muzzlebrake when I'm practicing, but not when I'm hunting and I don't think I will even notice the recoil when I'm shooting at an animal. I won't hunt with the muzzlebreak because I'm not willing to wear ear protection while hunting, and muzzlebreaks are just way to loud.
@radname
Try shooting it off the bench with no brake. Then you will know what a handful it is. I use a brake when hunting without hearing protection as I only usually fire one or two shots so no worries.
Bob

@radname
Try shooting it off the bench with no brake. Then you will know what a handful it is. I use a brake when hunting without hearing protection as I only usually fire one or two shots so no worries.
Bob

Ok I'll try it next time and report back to you. I shot a braked rifle one time with no ear protection and I really didn't care for it much. It left my ears ringing for awhile.

I have a 270 Weatherby in a Mark V (150g Partitions at 3200 fps), and a XCR II in 375 Weatherby (not 378, 300g A-Frames at 2800 fps) that weighs 7 1/2 lbs with scope. Neither have a brake. Both are absolutely fine as far as recoil is concerned and accurate too!
My .270wby doesn't have a brake and I've never found it to be a problem either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CassieBrav

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.