New Weatherby Rifle

I know Weatherby is not well liked in this forum. This rifle has some nice lines and a beautiful wood stock and not too expensive with an MSRP of $. 1799.00. I think this would be great rifle in a 257 Weatherby configuration. Without the muzzle break of course. :D

View attachment 598832

Fk me that is ugly and out of proportion.......just saying.... :E Horrified: :D Beers:

As a kid in the 70's and early 80's, I remember seeing advertisements in NRA's American Rifleman for the Bank of Boulder offering a free Weatherby Mark V in exchange for buying a Certificate of Deposit for a certain amount and term.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2001-mar-19-fi-39732-story.html

Here is an article from 2001 about a bank doing something similar with Weatherby. Must be a thing with them. As a side note, the bank in this article was horribly misrepresented in the opening of Michael Moore’s “Bowling for Columbine.”

I'm with you on this. Very nice looking rifle.

In some ways Weatherby rifles, along with the Colt/Sauer and Golden Eagle rifles were great looking when toned down just a tad. Graceful lines, but a bit shiny for my taste. Semi gloss on both wood and metal actually added to the beauty in my opinion.

Every MK5 I ever saw had a nice piece of wood on it that would make the typical Remington or Winchester jealous, but the asking price reflected that
I still like the "California" glossy stocks and all. Just a fun reminder of older (and better) days.

I'm a sucker for Weatherby. Was just in Tulsa for the big gun show, and I love how you can spot that glossy stock from a mile away. I've got a few Mark Vs, a few Mark XXIIs-- still the coolest 22 I've ever had. I also like their shotguns, I have a Regency, an O/U Athena, and S/S Athena. I'm partial to the older models, only wood stocks.

If I'm being honest though, I actually like the cartridges more than the guns. Sucker for fast shooting, flat cartridges. Recoil doesn't bother me much. I'm also a big collector of the pre64 model 70s. So the last few Weatherby rifles I bought were custom 70s that had been re chambered to Weatherby calibers. My whitetail gun I've used is a custom 70 rechambered to 7mmWby. Tack driver. Heading to new foundland for moose in September and will probably bring the custom pre64 70 rechambered to 300wby.

My one Weatherby regret is that I wanted to put together a rig that was the ultimate flat shooter. I had narrowed my choice down to a 26 nosler or 6.5-300 wby. I did something out of character and went with a browning hells canyon 26 nosler, and threw a very high power leupold vx6hd on it. Did it just because I don't own any noslers, and didnt have any browning rifles. Nice gun for sure, but in hindsight I wish I'd have gone with the Weatherby just because...

I know Weatherby is not well liked in this forum. This rifle has some nice lines and a beautiful wood stock and not too expensive with an MSRP of $. 1799.00. I think this would be great rifle in a 257 Weatherby configuration. Without the muzzle break of course. :D

View attachment 598832
@PARA45
That's one fine rifle in a great calibre. Only problem is that muzzle brake would make it one NOISY SOB.
A 100gn TTSX @3,600 plus fps reaches way out and hits hard.
Sighted 2" high at 100 it will zero again at 300 and be 7" low at 400.
To put that in perspective at 500 yards it still hits harder than that horrible little 243 does at 200.
Bob

The contrary, I always liked Weatherby's cartridge more than his rifles, but why not the model 307 Adventure. They have retained the typical stock shape and the thing is available for some typical Weatherby cartridges. If so than only in a new Weatherby caliber, 6.5-300 Weatherby Magnum for example. Reminds me a lot of the cartridge 244 H&H Magnum, which was not much successful either.
@grand veneur
If'n y'all want some serious reach out and smack em power try the 300-378 loaded to full throttle with some 212 gn ELDX. Recoil tho vigorous without a muzzle brake isn't unpleasant but it certainly gets your attention.
Bob

And I have wanted a 244 H&H for as long as I can remember.
@Saul
My gunsmith built one but the owner instead of having the .248 H&H projectiles decided to use the standard .243 projectiles. Just had a bushing made for the dues to neck the cases sow to the desired size.
Still doesn't do anything a good 25-06 will but the cost of cases is astronomical for it.
Bob

I agree with you above comment. As a kid I used to drool over the Weatherby rifles that I saw on their catalogs or on gun magazines. I remember telling myself that one day I was going to own one (I own too many to list here). The new models don't do it for me either. In my humble opinion, the best looking Weatherby rifles with the best wood, and best bluing are the ones that came from Japan.
@PARA45
I do like the look and feel of thee Weatherby S2. I tried to convince my son to get one but he went with the Howa. Same factory and action just different look
Bob

I've often thought it would be neat to get a rifle in 378 WBY but it's never been high on my list. Not sure about there rifles, have never shot one.

375 Weatherby is a much more sensible cartridge than the 378 Weatherby. A 300g A-Frame at 2800 fps is pretty much lights out for anything but elephant. A 350g solid at 2550 fps will out penentrate a 416 Rigby or 458 Win Mag.

I've often thought it would be neat to get a rifle in 378 WBY but it's never been high on my list. Not sure about there rifles, have never shot one.
@matt85
Our late esteemed gun writer Nick Harvey reckons the big 378 has the most vicious recoil of any recoil of any rife he has fired
Bob

@matt85
Our late esteemed gun writer Nick Harvey reckons the big 378 has the most vicious recoil of any recoil of any rife he has fired
Bob
I imagine that would depend heavily on the rifle it was being fired from.

Now that they are made in America and not the people’s republic of Kalifornia I will buy one, probably that exact model in 257

Now that they are made in America and not the people’s republic of Kalifornia I will buy one, probably that exact model in 257
@Bullthrower338
And what's wrong with Kalafornia comrade Cody.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.
I have plenty of time so I will listen, promise.
Just call me in 1800 don't give a shit.
Bob

@matt85
It was a Weatherby MkV
Bob
I haven't had the chance to shoot a Weatherby rifle yet. But I have seen first hand how much of a difference there can be from gun to gun with powerful cartridges. To date, the least comfortable rifle I have ever shot was a Winchester M70 in 458 WM.

The 378 wby is the most brutal of anything I have ever pulled the trigger on! Shot a deer in the head once with my buddy’s 378, it was extremely mind blowing!

I hear and read often that the recoil of a rifle caliber 378 Weatherby Magnum would be very unpleasant. I have never shot a rifle of this caliber and for this reason I don't know if the recoil is stronger than that of a rifle caliber 460 Weatherby Magnum, although the rifles caliber 378 Weatherby Magnum are maybe lighter than those caliber 460 Weatherby Magnum and the recoil is certainly faster. Perhaps it depends on the ammunition used. The original 460 Weatherby Magnum ammunition from the sixties and seventies is also extremely mind blowing.

The 378 wby is the most brutal of anything I have ever pulled the trigger on! Shot a deer in the head once with my buddy’s 378, it was extremely mind blowing!
@Bullthrower338
Cody
Was it mind blowing for both you and the deer.
I bet the deer really lost its mind.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix19312

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.