New toy

I ask primarily for archery purposes

Archery hunters use Dopplers also. it’s nice to know the energy of an arrow at the target.

To compare heavy vs light projectiles and actual energy loss.
The app has this, not sure how to figure out what you would need further down range. I'm sure you can do what we do with rifles, set one 30-40 whatever distance you need. Shoot beside or over it and get your info.
Screenshot_20240224_191111_ShotView.jpg

Is it winter in MN? I can't tell, I'm NW of Cloquet and we don't have any snow, it's 41 and sunny, the river next to me is wide open.

Makes me wonder if the fury is going to come 10-fold over the next couple of months or if we're really not going to have a winter.
Well, were almost into March so far so good, I'm SW of Murderapolis

How are the Garmins holding up against the Labradar for accuracy and ease of setup/use?
The Garmin couldn’t be any easier to use: turn it on, pick the weapon type/velocity range, point it in the right direction and shoot.

As far as accuracy, comparisons that I have seen show them giving about the same reading. Whether they are equally right or equally wrong, I have no way to determine. But the velocities I’ve measured so far are certainly believable.
I have been giving the Garmin a workout the last couple of weeks, and I can tell you now, all my other velocity measuring equipment has been RETIRED............

I have been using LabRadar since they hit the market, while a hell of an improvement, it still kept coming up short. Most of the time LabRadar did fine with larger calibers, but it was a pain in the ass with .224, picking up maybe on average 25% of the shots, if that much. Not good when doing load data and pressure data. LabRadar sensitive as to how it was pointed, so much so with big bores I had to lock my down to the bench to keep it from drifting off target. Sensitive to position with the muzzle, too far forward a problem, too far back a problem............. too far to the side, problem.....muzzle blast, problem and so forth...... But it was better than some of the old ways, but I found myself having to back up with the old ways too, or I would miss things........

The Garmin is TINY in comparison. I took no special care in placement, no special care in aiming, just pointed towards the target, and started with my most problematic caliber, .224................After many rounds, the Garmin never missed a shot, not one.......and it appears they are very very close in comparison of velocity.........

DSCN5004-XL.jpg

DSCN4988-XL.jpg

DSCN4989-XL.jpg

DSCN4991-XL.jpg

DSCN4992-XL.jpg

And sure enough, the LabRadar prone to fail to pick up a shot, but not the Garmin.........

DSCN5005-XL.jpg

DSCN5002-XL.jpg

I removed the Labradar from the bench, and placed the Garmin all over the bench, in several positions relating to the rifle, it never missed a shot, regardless of where it was placed on the bench, pointed down towards the target......

DSCN5008-XL.jpg

DSCN5012-XL.jpg

Great, ok how about big bore?
DSCN5020-XL.jpg

DSCN5018-XL.jpg

Never missed a shot........

DSCN5021-XL.jpg

I went on to try handgun at 10 yards, it worked perfectly for over 50 rds, never missed a shot. I went back to 50 yard bench, tried 50 rounds of different 22 LR ammo, it never missed a shot. I have been using it steady now for probably 250-300 rounds of various cartridges, calibers, rifles, ranges, and it has yet to miss a shot period.........

I retired everything, I use nothing but the Garmin ...........All others put away on the shelf.........
DSCN5015-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The folks at lab radar better start updating their resumes. Unless, they are working on something that will directly compete with Garmin. I love my Garmin, best thing since sliced bread. Just sold my prochrono, and for some reason got close to retail pricing on eBay, go figure!

Lucky! I paid C$1000 for my labradar a few years ago and was happy to dump it for $350.

The Garmin works so well.

I ask primarily for archery purposes

Archery hunters use Dopplers also. it’s nice to know the energy of an arrow at the target.

To compare heavy vs light projectiles and actual energy loss.
You can make those calculations with reasonable accuracy taking velocity 3 feet in front of the riser.

You sir are correct. Math formulas easily get the theoretical kinetic energy and momentum numbers at say 30 yards. But that is hypothetical and theoretical numbers.

Most arrows are not flying perfect. They porpoise and fishtail, and flop around like a mackerel and lose a ton of energy before they hit 30 yards. Some arrows in slow motion looks like they are flying with the nock 2” out of line with the BH

Many archers don’t tune correctly then wonder why they don’t get good penetration. Or can’t get past a whitetail shoulder bone.

Most arrows are not striking with the momentum that the archer thinks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solomoha

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.