New Production Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H back in-stock

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, but enjoyed reading posts about various rifles and cartridges when looking to get a 375. I debated between the 375 Ruger and the 375 H&H, and ended up choosing the 375 H&H mainly due to its storied history, but also because I've always wanted a Model 70 and Winchester doesn't make a new Safari or Alaskan in 375 Ruger.

Anyway, my PSA that Wincherster recently made a run of Model 70 Safari and Model 70 Alaskans in 375 H&H and you can find them at some retailers. I've seen them at Midway and at Hinterland Outfitters. I typically use gun.deals to find whomever is offering it at the lowest price and then ship it to my friend's FFL.

I picked up an Alaskan in 375 H&H from Hinterland, and am really happy with it so far. I wish they made it with a 20in barrel - then I'd actually consider taking it to Southeast Alaska where I hunt! Now I've just got to wait until my ammo comes in. --Matt

View attachment 552948
They make these in lefty??

It's eight months now, going on nine. Winchester has no striker spring available for my faulty M70 Alaskan .375. It's still sitting useless and gathering dust at my local Canadian Winchester warranty gunsmith. He has heard nothing from Winchester about the backordered spring. My rifle is useless without a functioning striker. My frustration is leading towards a prejudice against any Winchester firearm ... but before I succumb to utter frustration,
Is there perhaps a member here from the USA who can locate a striker spring for me for a current Winchester BACO M70 .375 Magnum model 70?

It's eight months now, going on nine. Winchester has no striker spring available for my faulty M70 Alaskan .375. It's still sitting useless and gathering dust at my local Canadian Winchester warranty gunsmith. He has heard nothing from Winchester about the backordered spring. My rifle is useless without a functioning striker. My frustration is leading towards a prejudice against any Winchester firearm ... but before I succumb to utter frustration,
Is there perhaps a member here from the USA who can locate a striker spring for me for a current Winchester BACO M70 .375 Magnum model 70?
Longwalker—can you confirm this is what you are looking for?

Attachments

• Wolff Extra Power Firing Pin Spring Winchester 70 30 lb.pdf
    761 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the link and for trying to help. That looks right, and one of the user comments says it will fit, BUT from Wolff website: "Note: Springs will not fit post 2008 models manufactured by FN Herstal."
And Midway will not ship to Canada. So I'm back where I started it seems.

@Longwalker ask @Wyatt Smith since he stated he had the same problem with his FN M70.

Since Wyatt ordered the New Haven era spring, maybe he can tell us the difference. If only length, cut cut cut...

On AH there have been comparisons of Pre-64 to modern, CNC machined CRF Classic M70's.

The Classic M70 design is safer and has anti-bind designed into it. I like that but...
1. I now know of two examples of broken striker springs within a relatively small sample size of AH members owning Classic M70s.
2. I helped members acquire replacement extractors (Mauser, P14/17, and Pre-64 M70) for failed Classic extractors.
3. Same for failed Magazine springs. Surplus M98 springs add class to those modern CRF models!

Ask any retired (old) gunsmith how many of those parts they needed to replace in Pre-64 M70S, M98, P14/17 and other rifles older than most of os?

I have a couple Classic CRF M70s and like them but not as much as I do my been to hell and back Pre-64 M70s!

Quick update. The gun has been with Browning service for some time, they finally got around to it and provided the following update:
The gunsmith lapped the bore and then checked the crown. Once that was completed he shot the gun at 50 yards from a bench and shot a .710" average grouping with a federal 300gr Swift A frame. The gun is currently in final inspection and will be shipped out within the next week to week and a half.

Best Regards,
Browning Service

In my opinion a 0.710" group (how many shots?) at 50 yards is not a very compelling result. I relayed this, but I don't expect much more from Browning at this point. I'm thinking my options at this point will be 1) Sell the rifle or 2) Get a gunsmith to cut the barrel down to 21 or 22" and see if that improves accuracy at all. I could also experiment with cutting out and redoing the factory bedding. 1) Doesn't leave me warm in fuzzy for the next guy unless he plans to rebarrel or only takes shots under 100yds. Oh well.

matchu865, get some Renaissance wax. It's a British product used by the British Museum to protect everything from marble statues to metallic pieces and has worked very well on my French walnut stocked 375 H&H on both the wood and metal. FWIW. JM
One of the H&H reps was taking a Holland to Kodiak .... he used Vaseline to further waterproof the inlet of the stock to protect from getting soaked. I'd buy a synthetic to swap out for soggy climates. B&C is nice. As for cutting the barrel down... ouch. Oh well. I have a Classic Stainless in 375 H&H and swapped for a B&C since the Win stock which was ah "flexible"... Worked will in Alaska and Africa.

Quick update. The gun has been with Browning service for some time, they finally got around to it and provided the following update:

In my opinion a 0.710" group (how many shots?) at 50 yards is not a very compelling result. I relayed this, but I don't expect much more from Browning at this point. I'm thinking my options at this point will be 1) Sell the rifle or 2) Get a gunsmith to cut the barrel down to 21 or 22" and see if that improves accuracy at all. I could also experiment with cutting out and redoing the factory bedding. 1) Doesn't leave me warm in fuzzy for the next guy unless he plans to rebarrel or only takes shots under 100yds. Oh well.
Glass bed, make sure barrel free floated anyway. Not a good outcome so far. Some rifles need handloads to bring out best. Good luck.

Browning customer service got back to tell me that that 0.71" group at 50yds was with 3 shots :confused: I'm disappointed they plan to send the rifle back to me in this condition and told them as such. Caveat emptor.

Browning customer service got back to tell me that that 0.71" group at 50yds was with 3 shots :confused: I'm disappointed they plan to send the rifle back to me in this condition and told them as such. Caveat emptor.
Crimped safari factory ammo is not exactly the gold standard for shooting groups. Although, Barnes factory ammo has turned in some groups that make me wonder why I handload.

0.7" for how many shots? Shooting groups also involves a person having to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle. So, the experience and skill of the shooter is a factor in addition to the rifle, ammo, and scope.

Sounds like that rifle is ready to go hunt.

An update: I picked my repaired rifle up from the gunsmith yesterday. Parts and work was finally completed almost a year later. Better late than never I suppose.

Update: Rifle will shoot 1.5 MOA! While this isn't great, it also isn't horrible given the earlier results reported. My results now mirror Winchester/Browning and I'm no longer seeing 5-6 MOA groups.

What changed? I moved away from Leupold scopes. When I first got the rifle back I went and shot it with a Leupold VX-3HD and VX-5HD. SD/ES from the ammo was good, but I got a wandering pattern,. 2-3 shots would be touching/close, then the next one would be and inch away, leading to some big groups. I suspected the scope was not retaining zero, so I ordered a Trijicon Huron, which has gotten good reviews for durability/zero retention. Tested today, and got consistent 1-1.5" groups with the same load that had been giving 3-5" patterns with the Leupold scopes.

Update: Rifle will shoot 1.5 MOA! While this isn't great, it also isn't horrible given the earlier results reported. My results now mirror Winchester/Browning and I'm no longer seeing 5-6 MOA groups.

What changed? I moved away from Leupold scopes. When I first got the rifle back I went and shot it with a Leupold VX-3HD and VX-5HD. SD/ES from the ammo was good, but I got a wandering pattern,. 2-3 shots would be touching/close, then the next one would be and inch away, leading to some big groups. I suspected the scope was not retaining zero, so I ordered a Trijicon Huron, which has gotten good reviews for durability/zero retention. Tested today, and got consistent 1-1.5" groups with the same load that had been giving 3-5" patterns with the Leupold scopes.
My man. I’m not sure it was two different leupolds that were causing your issues. I would trust leupolds over trijicons any day of the week. Sounds like a mounting issue to me.

My man. I’m not sure it was two different leupolds that were causing your issues. I would trust leupolds over trijicons any day of the week. Sounds like a mounting issue to me.
I would not trust a Leupold to hold zero. Have seen far to many of them fail in the field.

Our views of Leupold and Trijicon are the opposite from what I have witnessed.

I've had about 15 Leupold scopes dating from about 1950 to the youngest about 5 years old. I have not had any problems with these BUT a hunting partner has a VariX-III 2.5-8 that I observed to shoot right on when checked at the range then riding cased sitting on a car seat as it travelled about 100 miles of paved road, then carried at sling arms to a stand. When fired the POA had shifted several inches to the left at 50 yards. fortunately the animal was missed rather than wounded. The rifle was re-zeroed and as far as I know, the problem hasn't repeated- but I also don't know if the scope got changed-out before the next hunt.

I would not trust a Leupold to hold zero. Have seen far to many of them fail in the field.

Our views of Leupold and Trijicon are the opposite from what I have witnessed.
It’s not as much leupold as the odds of two scopes from a major manufacturer failing at the same time in the same way. Odds are about the same as winning the lottery. User error is 99.99% the culprit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielDalz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.