New Production Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H back in-stock

matchu865

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
Washington Waterfowl Association
Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, but enjoyed reading posts about various rifles and cartridges when looking to get a 375. I debated between the 375 Ruger and the 375 H&H, and ended up choosing the 375 H&H mainly due to its storied history, but also because I've always wanted a Model 70 and Winchester doesn't make a new Safari or Alaskan in 375 Ruger.

Anyway, my PSA that Wincherster recently made a run of Model 70 Safari and Model 70 Alaskans in 375 H&H and you can find them at some retailers. I've seen them at Midway and at Hinterland Outfitters. I typically use gun.deals to find whomever is offering it at the lowest price and then ship it to my friend's FFL.

I picked up an Alaskan in 375 H&H from Hinterland, and am really happy with it so far. I wish they made it with a 20in barrel - then I'd actually consider taking it to Southeast Alaska where I hunt! Now I've just got to wait until my ammo comes in. --Matt

IMG_5304.JPG

Clearly you're a scholar and a gentleman (damn few of us left anymore :) ) in choosing the M70. May I suggest you learn to hand load. IMR4350 paired with either 300gr Swift A-Frames or North Fork Bonded cores and there won't be much you can't take down. Yes I have one and those are my favorite loads. They shoot very accurately.

Clearly you're a scholar and a gentleman (damn few of us left anymore :) ) in choosing the M70. May I suggest you learn to hand load. IMR4350 paired with either 300gr Swift A-Frames or North Fork Bonded cores and there won't be much you can't take down. Yes I have one and those are my favorite loads. They shoot very accurately.
I already hand load, but I'm starting with some cheap factory loads in order to get used to the rifle and obtain brass while I wait to get my hands on some magnum primers. They've been unobtanium for a while! I appreciate the bullet suggestions! This rifle will likely get some action this fall on deer/elk/black bear hunts so bullet choice probably won't matter (as long as it's accurate) as much as it does elsewhere. I have a bunch of Staball 6.5 and H4350 on-hand so I may start with those powders first.

If you’re looking for second hand, the easiest option is probably gunbroker.com

Is the new Model 70 Safari Express or Alaskan glass bedded from the factory? I held both models the other day, but the gun store didn't know and the Winchester website doesn't list that as a feature as far as i can tell.

Very nice, the rifle May shoot that well. In my case the shooter probably will not.
I would say it takes a little time to learn to shoot this rifle if you're not used to the recoil. But the recoil is very manageable and at this point, doesn't effect my shooting.

Is the new Model 70 Safari Express or Alaskan glass bedded from the factory? I held both models the other day, but the gun store didn't know and the Winchester website doesn't list that as a feature as far as i can tell.
I know the safari is epoxy bed. I’m sure the Alaskan at least has the lug epoxy bed

I know the safari is epoxy bed. I’m sure the Alaskan at least has the lug epoxy bed
Can confirm that the Alaskan has epoxy lug and tang bedded. No extra recoil lug that the safari has though. The bedding on mine doesn't seem super gummy, but also is a little less stiff than something like devcon. I will probably leave it as is unless I run into accuracy issues. I'm very happy with the fit and finish of the metalwork. The stock fits very well to the action and barrel, but it needed a coat or two of linseed oil because it was a little dry and had a smally finish line on the comb. Probably from where they buffed it on a machine.

If anyone can locate a new production model 70 Alaskan in 30-06 please PM me! Not interested in anything used but would love to get one delivered to an FFL. Wi
Good luck with your search. I was just thinking the other day how I wouldn’t mind having one myself

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum, but enjoyed reading posts about various rifles and cartridges when looking to get a 375. I debated between the 375 Ruger and the 375 H&H, and ended up choosing the 375 H&H mainly due to its storied history, but also because I've always wanted a Model 70 and Winchester doesn't make a new Safari or Alaskan in 375 Ruger.

Anyway, my PSA that Wincherster recently made a run of Model 70 Safari and Model 70 Alaskans in 375 H&H and you can find them at some retailers. I've seen them at Midway and at Hinterland Outfitters. I typically use gun.deals to find whomever is offering it at the lowest price and then ship it to my friend's FFL.

I picked up an Alaskan in 375 H&H from Hinterland, and am really happy with it so far. I wish they made it with a 20in barrel - then I'd actually consider taking it to Southeast Alaska where I hunt! Now I've just got to wait until my ammo comes in. --Matt

Have the barrel cut down to 20" and use the thing, should be a killer rig in SE Alaska. You can also decide if you want a different front sight at that time, you may want something like an NECG barrel band front with their super giant bead, or bead with flip up night sight bead... or.. not

But, make it what you want, life's too short to sleep on it because of barrel length.

Have the barrel cut down to 20" and use the thing, should be a killer rig in SE Alaska. You can also decide if you want a different front sight at that time, you may want something like an NECG barrel band front with their super giant bead, or bead with flip up night sight bead... or.. not

But, make it what you want, life's too short to sleep on it because of barrel length.
That's exactly what I've been thinking about! This year I brought my Rem 700 in 30-06 with a custom barrel. Next year I'll probably bring my Howa Super Lite (6.5 CM), so I think this one's got a spot in 2023 :). We're generally bushwhacking from sea level to 2000ft every day, so the less the barrel snags up the better. Irons are also a big plus because of how unavoidable and constant the rain can be - going to put on a VX-3HD with Warne QD rings. Will need to find some good wax for the stock as well.

There was a time when I thought a 375H&H would be my "big" rifle. It turned out to be my first big rifle- followed by 375 Wby, 375 RUM, 404J, 458 WM & 470NE. Something about the Big Bore is clearly addictive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.