New Production Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H back in-stock

It’s not as much leupold as the odds of two scopes from a major manufacturer failing at the same time in the same way. Odds are about the same as winning the lottery. User error is 99.99% the culprit.

I would not say the odds are that high. The fact that he went to a different brand and things are working as they should is telling. I'm not saying a 375h&h is a heavy hitter, it is way more than a 30-06. Recoil will kill a scope fast.

You are very correct in your statement too. I will not torque a set of scope caps higher than 18inlb. Even on my 458Lott that holds the scope without issue. Lots of scope have been hurt by over tightening the caps. Not sure how the OP was tightening and ensuring the caps are not over torqued.

Last edited:
I would not say the odds are that high. The fact that he went to a different brand and things are working as they should is telling. I'm not saying a 375h&h is a heavy hitter, it is way more than a 30-06. Recoil will kill a scope fast.

You are very correct in your statement too. I will torque a set of scope caps higher than 18inlb. Even on my 458Lott that holds the scope without issue. Lots of scope have been hurt by over tightening the caps. Not sure how the OP was tightening and ensuring the caps are not over torqued.
I’ve done it too, even recently. Different scopes and mounts have different torque values. I had a blurry high end mag on a Steiner and was about to send it back in when I simply took scope and mount down, then remounted. Problem solved.

Recently learned the reason why not to use loctite on scope ring uppers. While wet they actually act as a lubricant making torque wrench values off and much higher than what wrench says. Then it hardens at the increased value.

I’ll stand by 2 scopes both failing in same way at same time is not the issue.

If it makes you feel better, I mounted the VX-5HD on a 223 Tikka I recently picked up. The scope was fine when I shot a couple of 10rd groups, but when I adjusted the elevation the first round fired thereafter grouped in a different spot then the remaining rounds. If that does not point to a scope issue I don’t know what does. Nonetheless, the Trijicon that replaced it and the VX-3HD doesn’t exhibit the same symptoms so I’m happy for now.

revive a thread, any one have any word on if and when Winchester will release any more M70s in 375HH

revive a thread, any one have any word on if and when Winchester will release any more M70s in 375HH
Email them and ask them. Seriously. That's how I got the heads up that mine was going to be available in the next couple of months and to be on the lookout from retailers/distributors.

Email them and ask them. Seriously. That's how I got the heads up that mine was going to be available in the next couple of months and to be on the lookout from retailers/distributors.
Well damn that's a thought lol
I just sent a email asking after you suggested.

Last edited:
What a let down when I realized this thread was a year old

The Win70 .375 Alaskan is a nice rifle.
Glad you sorted out the scope issue. I like Leupold scopes, own several, but I have a VX-3 HD 1.5-5x CDS, boxed up to go back for repair, wandering zero.

I double checked it wasn’t my rifle, loads, etc, with a Leupold FX-II 4x.

I think some (not all) Leupold scopes are having QA issues.

Clearly you're a scholar and a gentleman (damn few of us left anymore :) ) in choosing the M70. May I suggest you learn to hand load. IMR4350 paired with either 300gr Swift A-Frames or North Fork Bonded cores and there won't be much you can't take down. Yes I have one and those are my favorite loads. They shoot very accurately.
I second this

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.