New custom rifle questions

The quality, durability and clarity of a Vortex Gen II Razor 1-6x24 and 1-10x24 is comparable to Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and Schmidt & Bender. These are made in Japan and NOT to be confused with the lower end Vortex made in the Philippines and China, even though those are fine for deer hunting.

The price point for a Vortex Gen II Razor 1-6x24 is in the $1500 range and the Vortex Gen II Razor 1-10x24 is in the $2500 range. These are not cheap scopes and I would bet my life on one. I believe these scopes are desirable to the 3 gun crowd and perhaps not designed specifically as a DG scope but they serve the purpose. Your opinion may hold water regarding the Vortex scopes made in the Philippines and China, but your opinion on the Vortex Razor is 100% wrong! Respectively
Yeah it's an excellent quality scope. I also think it pairs very well with the look of the rifle. Bronze or FDE cerakote on the rings would be a nice touch.

Fierce 375hh rifle just arrived for my dad for our buff trip next summer. I am looking for feedback on the scope mount, I didn’t pick it, I think it crowds the action too much. I also cycled a few rounds and the action is not that smooth, there is also a very clear shearing effect on the cartridges from them being picked up from the clip. The action is a sako action to my knowledge, everything feels sticky, how do you smooth out the function of these rifles with tighter tolerances? Again, not my rifle but gotta make sure it’s all in good order for dg hunting. See pics
I would suggest you get some dummy rounds made up. If you spend a bit of time in front of the TV working g the action, it will smooth up. Also you will see brass rubbed on any rough spots on the bolt/action/ magazine. Then you can polish those areas. I have also heard of people using toothpaste/ lapping compound and working the action.

As for the scope- nothing g wrong with it. See if you can cut out an arc on the picatinny. Looking at the mounts, it looks to me that you might be able to fit conventional mounts or maybe slightly offset mounts ? Difficult to see but it looks like you have an inch of scope tube to play with.

Now since this is a new gun I would be contacting the manufacturer tell them the problem(s) you are having and request they polish the bolt, action, inside the magazine to include the lips, the entire receiver, and chamber.
Yes, send it back and have them address the issue(s). You spent good money on it, have them make it right.

Fierce 375hh rifle just arrived for my dad for our buff trip next summer. I am looking for feedback on the scope mount, I didn’t pick it, I think it crowds the action too much. I also cycled a few rounds and the action is not that smooth, there is also a very clear shearing effect on the cartridges from them being picked up from the clip. The action is a sako action to my knowledge, everything feels sticky, how do you smooth out the function of these rifles with tighter tolerances? Again, not my rifle but gotta make sure it’s all in good order for dg hunting. See pics
@Wiley64 Don't start buffing, polishing, or grinding on anything. Your issue is with the cartridge and the magazine as far as action stiffness/cartridge marring goes if I were to guess. Is the action issue resolved when dry cycling?

I am unaware of a .375 H&H optimized detachable magazine. As the parent case of the ubiquitous .300WM, my guess is Fierce used the same magazine. With the longer COAL, larger neck, less pronounced shoulder, and more gentle meplat of the average .375 projo, the cartridge is much more likely to impinge before it is free of the control of the feed lips on a 300WM optimized magazine. From there, you are forcing it as the feed lips are trying to control the case while it is also trying to pry your feed lips apart as the projo is forced up the feed ramp. This is common if you just try to take a 300WM design and slap a 375H&H barrel on it.

I would call Fierce first, and a good gunsmith second. This might be as simple as trimming the feed lips back very carefully...a smidge at a time...staring at the front...until the issue resolves. Then you're just modifying the cheapest component, worst case you're out a magazine.

I can get on Facetime or whatever with you and the rifle and talk you through what to look at in about 90 seconds, just PM me if you're interested. It's very easy to diagnose, and definitely solvable.
Screenshot 2024-04-05 at 10.43.12 AM.png

Last edited:
The Fierce is a Sako clone, not an actual Sako OEM. I know a few people that have owned a Fierce and not been happy. Their quality control seems a bit hit and miss.

That Vortex is a Razor II, they’re made in the same factory as Nightforce, March, and the high end Bushnells and many others. LOW in Japan, check them out. It is an exceptionally high quality scope. Probably the most robust low-power variable optic on Earth, has passed all of NSWC Crane’s acceptance testing and is issued to our Tier 1 SOF units. It isn’t a Chinese Strike Eagle or anything, it’s also got the most forgiving 1X view of any optic I’ve ever owned. It will be perfect.
Just to be pedantic, Deon Optic makes March scopes in house. They are not made in the same factory as Nightforce, etc.

I think the situation speaks for itself. Yes, of course this might all work out fine. But why pick a Fierce for a DG rifle in the first place? I think this is first I've heard of them on this board. And the mounting of the scope suggests someone doesn't understand the purpose of a DG rifle. Vortex again could be okay, but I've never heard of them on a DG hunt. Maybe it'll work. A Z8i will always work.

The Fierce is a Sako clone, not an actual Sako OEM. I know a few people that have owned a Fierce and not been happy. Their quality control seems a bit hit and miss.
I hope you got a good one, but I am one of those who owned a Fierce and was not happy. I had one in .28 Nosler, sold it at quite a loss. The primary extraction SUCKED on mine. The majority of the time I had to pound upwards on the bolt handle to achieve primary extraction. The bolt handle would lift fine until it got to the primary extraction cam which was too short and too steep. Then I had to beat on bolt handle to start the process of extraction. Maybe this was unique to the 28 Nosler chambering, but make sure this .375 H&H does not have this issue. In my experience these rifles are anything but smooth cycling and would be one of my last choices for DG.

"I have a CNC machine and a guy that can program it and can get a loan at the bank. I'm now in the rifle/action/barrel business".
This is the trend. My 2¢, I'd send it back and tell them to fix it. My bet is, it'll still be a clusterfk.
IMHO, it's best to stick with proven DG rifles.

I hope you got a good one, but I am one of those who owned a Fierce and was not happy. I had one in .28 Nosler, sold it at quite a loss. The primary extraction SUCKED on mine. The majority of the time I had to pound upwards on the bolt handle to achieve primary extraction. The bolt handle would lift fine until it got to the primary extraction cam which was too short and too steep. Then I had to beat on bolt handle to start the process of extraction. Maybe this was unique to the 28 Nosler chambering, but make sure this .375 H&H does not have this issue. In my experience these rifles are anything but smooth cycling and would be one of my last choices for DG.
I hope so too, we have plenty of time to work out the kinks, he could’ve scored an entry level blazer for the price.

Are all rounds in the magazine sticky or only when cycling one (the last) round? If it's only the last round, you should only be altering the follower, not the rails.

Fierce actions are based on the Sako design. But not actually Sako. You should show the rifle to a competent gunsmith and get all the cycling issues hashed out, prior to your Safar.

You & your father are going after a member of the African Big Five which earned the nickname “Black Death”. And very well deservedly so. I’s best not to tempt fate with a faulty piece of kit.

Fierce has a record of QC problems. There are 2 that I know of that went out the door without rifling in the barrel. My understanding is that the older Canadian ones are good to go, the new ones are built in Utah by some online influencer who is just as likely to tell you to pound sand as not if there is an issue. Hopefully yours is rifled, and you are able to work out the issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merjeklo

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.