AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.kevindthomas.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Previously ZPHGA, PHASA, SCI, ECGMA - all now lapsed since I'm no longer active in the industry but still support it fully.
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique.
Book Review

By Kevin Thomas – (author of 4 African hunting books including Shadows in an African Twilight.)

Drums of the Morning
, by respected and highly experienced Zimbabwean professional hunter Wayne Grant, is a must read. In fact, I would go so far as to say that any sport hunter interested in classical fair-chase lion hunting, should consider this book as required reading.

It’s not often that a really good hunting book hits the shelves, but this one certainly steps up to the plate – in no small measure.

Readers familiar with Wayne’s writing will no doubt have read his equally superb Into the Thorns, a book widely regarded as the most definitive work to date, on hunting the African leopard.

Now, we are fortunate to have his latest book Drums of the Morning, written and presented in much the same vein, but with the focus this time being on lion hunting and lion conservation issues.

Having spent the last forty years guiding hunting safaris across much of East and Southern Africa, Wayne is eminently qualified to write a book of this nature. His relaxed style of writing is fluid and easy to read, and his book is highly informative – a real mine of information relative to every aspect of lion hunting, for both seasoned hunters, and neophytes alike.

In the opening chapters, Wayne describes some of his youthful experiences growing up in the once-proud country called Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). As 1978 drew to a close and the Rhodesian war raced inexorably toward a final crescendo, Wayne left school and joined the army to do his compulsory military service. After passing officer selection and completing officer training at the School of Infantry, he was posted to the Rhodesian Light Infantry as a troop (platoon) commander. The RLI was an air mobile unit which introduced and perfected the highly effective anti-guerrilla tactic known as ‘fireforce’ – (vertical envelopment of the enemy by helicopter and parachute).

Throughout the last year of the war Wayne experienced constant combat as a young officer commanding equally young soldiers both on fireforce operations inside Rhodesia and on ‘external’ operations into Mocambique and Zambia.

In his first book Wayne did not cover the Rhodesian war in any great detail, but in Drums of the Morning he devotes a whole chapter explaining the circumstances which led to the war, and some of his experiences while serving his country. When the war came to a halt in 1980, Wayne commenced his career as professional hunter.

Drums of the Morning isn’t only for those interested in lion hunting. It’s also an important historical record of how much wildlife conservation and its future in Africa has changed over the last forty years. Sadly most of these changes have been for the worst. When it comes to using facts to illustrate gross mismanagement, corruption, and poor governance, the author doesn’t hold back. And quite rightly so.

Due to the future of Africa’s wildlife currently looking so bleak, the days of shying away from constructive criticism for fear of being branded ‘politically incorrect’ are over. Any true sport hunter concerned about the situation regarding Africa’s wildlife, and the future of safari, would do well to read this book.

In this book Wayne takes an objective look at the controversial captive-bred lion hunting operations in South Africa, and he also puts the whole sorry ‘Cecil the lion’ saga in Zimbabwe, into perspective.

His anecdotal style of writing, coupled with a dry sense of humour, periodically brings a smile to the reader, and importantly, the author includes his family, and his hard working loyal staff in many of the stories.

I found it interesting that Wayne ends his book by identifying practical remedies that could halt, and rectify, the rapid slide of Africa’s safari wilderness areas into overgrazed barren ground. The measures he talks about are not new, and they are not just ‘pie-in-the-sky’ impractical dreams – many of these ideas are already being implemented by committed hunter-conservationists, but Wayne points out that these solutions need to be put into practice far more widely, and quickly, before it is too late.

From my perspective as someone who has witnessed firsthand, the regression of some of Zimbabwe’s finest hunting concessions (like Chirisa) into poached-out empty land, I found this chapter extremely thought-provoking, and it leaves the reader with an optimistic, positive hope, that committed hunter-conservationists may be able to turn things around.

Drums of the Morning – like Into the Thorns – is a hefty (589 pages, 1.5kg), with an attractive eye-catching cover. It has been well crafted and bound by Tien Wah Press; and is full of interesting photographs, and superb illustrations done by Wayne’s son Lucas – a gifted wildlife artist. I have no doubt that Drums of the Morning will be well received, not only by hunters, but also by collectors of Africana.

I have only one minor criticism of this excellent book – the maps of Zimbabwe and Tanzania are a bit small, and the printing of place names on those maps are very difficult to decipher – especially for us older folk! I’m guessing that this was just a ‘techno’ glitch gremlin that crept into the works.

Wayne_Book.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin Thomas’ books are very good to read as well. Haven’t seen him on this site in awhile but I have enjoyed dealing with him in the past.

I've been looking for into the thorns on Amazon and can't find it. Where can one buy either/both books?

E bay is where I find most of my reading material. Sometimes just follow the rabbit holes of a google search and you will find good stuff-good luck on your searches

I'm headed to DSC Friday. Any book sellers there? I'd love to come home with some stuff.

Book Review

By Kevin Thomas – (author of 4 African hunting books including Shadows in an African Twilight.)

Drums of the Morning
, by respected and highly experienced Zimbabwean professional hunter Wayne Grant, is a must read. In fact, I would go so far as to say that any sport hunter interested in classical fair-chase lion hunting, should consider this book as required reading.

It’s not often that a really good hunting book hits the shelves, but this one certainly steps up to the plate – in no small measure.

Readers familiar with Wayne’s writing will no doubt have read his equally superb Into the Thorns, a book widely regarded as the most definitive work to date, on hunting the African leopard.

Now, we are fortunate to have his latest book Drums of the Morning, written and presented in much the same vein, but with the focus this time being on lion hunting and lion conservation issues.

Having spent the last forty years guiding hunting safaris across much of East and Southern Africa, Wayne is eminently qualified to write a book of this nature. His relaxed style of writing is fluid and easy to read, and his book is highly informative – a real mine of information relative to every aspect of lion hunting, for both seasoned hunters, and neophytes alike.

In the opening chapters, Wayne describes some of his youthful experiences growing up in the once-proud country called Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). As 1978 drew to a close and the Rhodesian war raced inexorably toward a final crescendo, Wayne left school and joined the army to do his compulsory military service. After passing officer selection and completing officer training at the School of Infantry, he was posted to the Rhodesian Light Infantry as a troop (platoon) commander. The RLI was an air mobile unit which introduced and perfected the highly effective anti-guerrilla tactic known as ‘fireforce’ – (vertical envelopment of the enemy by helicopter and parachute).

Throughout the last year of the war Wayne experienced constant combat as a young officer commanding equally young soldiers both on fireforce operations inside Rhodesia and on ‘external’ operations into Mocambique and Zambia.

In his first book Wayne did not cover the Rhodesian war in any great detail, but in Drums of the Morning he devotes a whole chapter explaining the circumstances which led to the war, and some of his experiences while serving his country. When the war came to a halt in 1980, Wayne commenced his career as professional hunter.

Drums of the Morning isn’t only for those interested in lion hunting. It’s also an important historical record of how much wildlife conservation and its future in Africa has changed over the last forty years. Sadly most of these changes have been for the worst. When it comes to using facts to illustrate gross mismanagement, corruption, and poor governance, the author doesn’t hold back. And quite rightly so.

Due to the future of Africa’s wildlife currently looking so bleak, the days of shying away from constructive criticism for fear of being branded ‘politically incorrect’ are over. Any true sport hunter concerned about the situation regarding Africa’s wildlife, and the future of safari, would do well to read this book.

In this book Wayne takes an objective look at the controversial captive-bred lion hunting operations in South Africa, and he also puts the whole sorry ‘Cecil the lion’ saga in Zimbabwe, into perspective.

His anecdotal style of writing, coupled with a dry sense of humour, periodically brings a smile to the reader, and importantly, the author includes his family, and his hard working loyal staff in many of the stories.

I found it interesting that Wayne ends his book by identifying practical remedies that could halt, and rectify, the rapid slide of Africa’s safari wilderness areas into overgrazed barren ground. The measures he talks about are not new, and they are not just ‘pie-in-the-sky’ impractical dreams – many of these ideas are already being implemented by committed hunter-conservationists, but Wayne points out that these solutions need to be put into practice far more widely, and quickly, before it is too late.

From my perspective as someone who has witnessed firsthand, the regression of some of Zimbabwe’s finest hunting concessions (like Chirisa) into poached-out empty land, I found this chapter extremely thought-provoking, and it leaves the reader with an optimistic, positive hope, that committed hunter-conservationists may be able to turn things around.

Drums of the Morning – like Into the Thorns – is a hefty (589 pages, 1.5kg), with an attractive eye-catching cover. It has been well crafted and bound by Tien Wah Press; and is full of interesting photographs, and superb illustrations done by Wayne’s son Lucas – a gifted wildlife artist. I have no doubt that Drums of the Morning will be well received, not only by hunters, but also by collectors of Africana.

I have only one minor criticism of this excellent book – the maps of Zimbabwe and Tanzania are a bit small, and the printing of place names on those maps are very difficult to decipher – especially for us older folk! I’m guessing that this was just a ‘techno’ glitch gremlin that crept into the works.

View attachment 393373
Hi Kevin, Thank you for submitting such a long and detailed review of Drums of the Morning. It sounds like one I will really enjoy. I just checked on Amazon and I don't see it available there. Do you know where we can get it at? I found Into the Thorns on Amazon ...but it also isn't available. I like the idea that his book talks about the conservation issues and what needs to be done to help Africa. After all, anyone who loves Africa also fears for her. Also, even though I'm not a hunter, I love reading about African hunting adventures. I could sit and listen to you PH's talk all day long about their amazing experiences.

I also found two of your books on Amazon and downloaded the "There is something about a buffalo". After I'm finished reading the book I am currently on, I look forward to reading it. If I want to read the other ones too, is there one that I should start with.

Thanks again for providing the rest of us with such a great book review.

I'm headed to DSC Friday. Any book sellers there? I'd love to come home with some stuff.
I can't remember if there are any booksellers there or not! I know Safari Press is at SCI but I can't remember if they were at DSC. Mike Arnold will be at Mark Haldane's book to sell and sign copies of his new book "Bringing back the Lions."

Drums hold a powerful, mysterious place in Africa. During the same altercation we were operating in the Sengwa area where many of you have hunted. The task was OP, trying to observe incursions from Zambia across the lake. Our stick was dropped by helicopter some distance off, then you walked in under darkness and set up on top of a pre-selected hill to watch a village usually. We set up invisibly I thought, only to descend in the night to surreptitiously collect water from a little pool. First night the drums beat noisily, party as usual. Second night the same. Third night it was dead silent, and then at about eight pm just four drum beats thudded out with a few seconds between each. The four of us looked at each other. We had somehow been busted and despite the mission now being futile the likelihood of a prickly visit was now high. So we radio'd for an extraction and since the easiest and quickest helicopter landing was a clear spot near the village we headed down, always looking for a scrap anyway if the enemy was in the village. A brief stop at the pool to replenish water bottles and there staring back at us was a kudu head, tossed in to spoil the water obviously. A chill went through me.

I will read this book.

Drums hold a powerful, mysterious place in Africa. During the same altercation we were operating in the Sengwa area where many of you have hunted. The task was OP, trying to observe incursions from Zambia across the lake. Our stick was dropped by helicopter some distance off, then you walked in under darkness and set up on top of a pre-selected hill to watch a village usually. We set up invisibly I thought, only to descend in the night to surreptitiously collect water from a little pool. First night the drums beat noisily, party as usual. Second night the same. Third night it was dead silent, and then at about eight pm just four drum beats thudded out with a few seconds between each. The four of us looked at each other. We had somehow been busted and despite the mission now being futile the likelihood of a prickly visit was now high. So we radio'd for an extraction and since the easiest and quickest helicopter landing was a clear spot near the village we headed down, always looking for a scrap anyway if the enemy was in the village. A brief stop at the pool to replenish water bottles and there staring back at us was a kudu head, tossed in to spoil the water obviously. A chill went through me.

I will read this book.
It’s definitely on my list now too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VetaStokes

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.
SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani