New and pristine or used with patina?

I don't own this rifle. It's a rented rifle Winchester 70 Pre-64 caliber 375 H&H Magnum from 1952 that I used on my last hunt in Mozambique.

IMG_0018 (1).jpeg

IMG_0005 (2).jpeg

Factory guns don't get me excited. Personally I'm head over heels for custom guns. There isn't much more I love than dragging my the mesquite after. Her name is Larue and she was shiny and spotless when I took delivery. The rifle is still in emaculate shape except if you know were to look. I do not protect the rifle from exposure. I pray I am alive when my son can show it off to his hunting buddies and point out how I've work all the bluing off the floorplate from chasing buffalo and who know what from around the planet.

I love the stories seen on a rifle, I just hope to make them myself.

anyone who has hunted alaska can vouch for this: your rifle WILL, not might, get beaten up, dinged, scratched. i try to keep guns from getting scratched up but i gave up. not possible lol. besides, they are badges of honor in my eyes.

I like both new (Needs to be hunted and develop patina and scratches) and a old classic that we wish could talk and tell the stories of where it has been. My favorite is my great grandfather Model 97 winchester 12 ga.(he bought it new in 1911) It has been reblued once and that bluing like the original has worn off. I know where about half the dents and scratches came from. (My dad or me).

All else being equal. Would you rather carry a brand new pristine, immaculate rifle with perfect wood and blueing.

Or one that is in perfect working order but has some blueing worn off and some battle scars on the wood.

I appreciate both. But in my mind if I picture carrying a Rigby rifle for instance, on safari. I picture one with the blueing gone and replaced with a nice brown patina. The action nice and worn in. The stock has dents and scratches.

I love my rifles in great condition. But the look of one that’s been carried for thousands of miles is more unique.

I’ll start with my .458 WM
View attachment 593187View attachment 593188View attachment 593189View attachment 593190View attachment 593191
Altitude, the term ”Honest Wear” should apply to a well used & cared for hunting firearm. Like an old Man who’s lived a full & exciting life - his face tells a story, the wrinkles and scars were all “earned” and the face that was once handsome Now has “rugged character”. You can Not buy this - it is a Gift and the “reward” of Adventure. That type of rifle has a History behind it and has earned it’s place in anyone’s collection —- it’s owner must now “Live up” to that History.

I like both. Rifles that have survived the test of time however, hold a special place for me. One of my most prized hunting rifles is an old Mauser custom chambered in 270 Win. Used mainly on deer here in KY, it has never failed. My Africa twins are both FN Brownings and while being more than 50yrs old they are both in near perfect condition.

One of old Art Alphin's P 14/17's can look like a water pipe mounted in a 2x6. Between the wars, the British could create real elegance from such an action.

View attachment 593220
It’s a beautiful rifle. I think the length of the fore end and the long slender slope to it contributes to its graceful appearance and draws the eye away from the height at the rear of the action. I’ve seen some H&H rifles proportioned similarly. It’s truly well executed.

Im an old gun guy. Since 1964 I have hunted almost exclusively with the surplus WWII Springfield my dad mail ordered and fixed up the year before Kennedy was shot. It's had a few face-lifts over the years due to wear and tear. The stock was replaced in 1981 after a horsewreck totaled the Herters wood Dad put on it. Then in 2021 I replaced the barrel after discovering a corroded spot in the bore. At that time I upgraded the scope, added optional iron sights, refinished the stock, and had the metal reblued.
Here it is pre-2021.
Deer Gun final 3.JPG

And after rejuvenation:
20211114_083339.jpg

Last year, purely on impulse, I decided I needed my own thumper rifle for hunting Africa. Rather than buy something new and devoid of character, I chose to build my own DGR from a postwar Czech 98 Mauser. I found an action with an aftermarket 30-06 barrel online that seemed a good starting point. Then I had Lidja make a 404 barrel that Dennis Olson mounted. I switched to Swift bottom metal in 416 Rem and tuned the receiver to feed larger cases. I added a 3-position Model 70 safety, iron sights, a semi-pic rail, Warne QD rings, fit it all into a stock I finished, and then after returning from my fourth safari I sent the metal off for bluing. For the time being I recalled from retirement my Springfield's former Weaver K3 scope.
Start of the project:
20230518_184426.jpg

Finished:
20231019_114147.jpg

Patina is cool, especially if you are the one who hunted with the rifle/shotgun and put the patina on it.

Now that's a dilemma.

I have 2 new to me rifles, 1 new shotgun, and 1 new BP pocket revolver that have never been fire. One rifle did get into the field, but I took really go care about handling it and where, how I sat it on or against a tree.

Most of the time I get a new firearm and it goes to the range as soon as possible.

New to me firearms I fret less about getting fresh wear marks on they are already broken in.

Depends...once upon a time, rifles as they came from the factory were OK with + - 2moa accuracy. I can put up with a little less than stellar accuracy if it's a caliber I don't plan on stretching the range with. But for distance, especially on an expensive hunt, I want a new quality barrel, well bedded and set up right. New rifles have new rifling. Old rifles in some cases can have someone else's old problems that are now my problems to solve, and some are just plain worn out. Many break action guns cannot be rebarreled without spending the cost of a newer gun, so you are stuck with whatever you got. I often rust blue and renew an older rifle, and improve it all I can. One thing I cannot abide is a truly ugly rifle. I wouldn't marry an ugly...well, you get the idea. And I can't "patina" to the point of NO blueing at all left.

For me, personally… anything that’s in good condition !

My 7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe was made in 1967. I bought it secondhand in 1989.
IMG_1215.jpeg

IMG_2303.jpeg

IMG_1512.jpeg

IMG_2307.jpeg
IMG_1800.jpeg
IMG_1533.jpeg
IMG_1532.jpeg
IMG_1531.jpeg
IMG_2752.jpeg
IMG_2749.jpeg
The .375 Holland & Holland Magnum which I’m currently using (my son-in-law’s Remington Model 700 Custom) was purchased by him brand new.
IMG_1918.jpeg

IMG_2689.jpeg

The .30-06 Springfield Anschutz Modell 110 which I bought my grandson last year, was originally purchased brand new by a friend of mine in 1967. While he owned the rifle, I used it to hunt my life’s only Seladang bison. After my friend passed away, I got ahold of the rifle and gifted it to my grandson. It had already developed quite a “Patina” by then.
IMG_2772.jpeg
IMG_2716.jpeg

My 12 gauge 3” Magnum Beretta Model 626E was made in 1987 and I bought it brand new in 1989.
IMG_1479.jpeg
IMG_2715.jpeg
IMG_2714.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdventureBound

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)