Music Enthusiasts?

In another life I was really into Texas and Red Dirt music (I’ve got a little more eclectic tastes now). Seems like it was really starting to get big around the time I graduated high school. I don’t listen to music much anymore but I did get on a bit of a kick today.
Great stuff! .. It's been long since I've been moved by music as well. And it doesn't matter the taste, there's something good in all types.

I almost posted that Little Feat, love this

Last edited:
Dire Straits: One you don't hear often ..

Last edited:
I'm sorry, there's a time for music. By day's end, quiet can be bliss just as well.
I listened to everything here, not just waiting for my time to talk. It's a universal language, inspire, lift ya up, but the memories it brings back.

There can be appreciation for "any" type of music, regardless of preference. Thank you.

Good stuff but I had to cringe on the Steve Winwood one. Why? In college (85-90.. yes, fiver years: I changed majors rather radically) we had to take a PE class every year. One year I took volleyball. Our teacher had been an All-America level collegiate player, and was only a few years removed from that. She was a HUGE Steve Winwood fan, and blared his music to rock concert levels in the gym every freaking class period the whole semester. I don't often tire of things. I grew weary of Winwood that year, and haven't ever really gotten back to appreciating him.

Perhaps, from that, I can be forgiven. :p
I like Stevie Winwood "Arc of a Diver" .

And the Moody Blues, Eric Clapton, Derek and the Dominos, Supertramp and more.

@Daniel Cary, thank you for sharing the music history.

I like Stevie Winwood "Arc of a Diver" .

And the Moody Blues, Eric Clapton, Derek and the Dominos, Supertramp and more.

@Daniel Cary, thank you for sharing the music history.
That Derek & The Domino's is an interesting story. Clapton wrote that entire album about his Love & later wife, Pattie Boyd who was George Harrison's wife. "Eric Clapton, Life in 12 Bars" was an incredible documentary.

I'm glad you brought up Supertramp. Love this song ..

A must see!

That Derek & The Domino's is an interesting story. Clapton wrote that entire album about his Love & later wife, Pattie Boyd who was George Harrison's wife. "Eric Clapton, Life in 12 Bars" was an incredible documentary.

I'm glad you brought up Supertramp. Love this song ..

A must see!
I remember learning that about Eric Clapton, and George Harrison's wife. The 60's and 70's Rock and Roll certainly had some stories behind the artists. I think of Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles and so many more.

Going down memory lane in my regional roots, concerts with Doctor John, The Radiators, The Neville Brothers, Buddy Guy, Beausoleil, Buckwheat Zydeco, Clifton Chenier, "Rockin" Dopsie.

Was young and dumb then and didn't realize I experienced a certain genre of music that was important.

I had a Courvoisier VSOP with Buddy Guy at his Buddy Guy's Legends club in Chicago many years ago. Already a longtime fan, and many concerts, I was invited to a corporate sponsored private concert at his club. The hosts were nice folks from the upper Midwest, and most of the attendees had no real knowledge of Buddy Guy, a Blues legend.

He played a set, then went to the bar for a cognac. He was resentful that the crowd didn't know his music. I had purchased a CD, then sat next to him, bought him a cognac, and asked him to sign it.

He had an attitude. Hell, this is a guy that was found by Muddy Waters on the streets of Chicago but kept driving a truck to support his family while playing a few gigs.

Then I told him that I had been to several concerts, at NOLA JazzFest and other places, and was raised 45 miles from his hometown (New Roads/ Erwinville, Louisiana), he loosened up, and autographed the CD.

We connected as human to human. The cognac helped.

Buddy Guy, a descendant of black sharecroppers, and my family, supported sharecroppers, a time gone by.

Thank you @Daniel Cary for this thread and indulgent on some memories.

I'll pass on Bolton - my lovely bride was a fan when she wasn't following Sly and the Family Stone. I could not abide "Dance to the Music" but "Stand" (1969) pretty much defined a whole genre and era of music.

Early on, I was, and still am, a Bob Dylan fan. One of my prize possessions is a copy of his "Desire" album where he signed both the cover and put "Bob" on the album. It isn't his best work but "Sara" is poignant, and "Mozambique" which has no real meaning, is nevertheless probably apropos to our group.

View attachment 594642

saw Rolling Thunder Revue in P-Cola at a college there. Small (3K seat) venue in '76. Close to stage, Bob, Roger, Kinky Freidman and Joan Baez. Nothing like it!

James Gang and I think Joe Walsh at the time, played at the Catholic Church across the street from my house in Ohio. Still listen to a lot of Zevon. Keep Me in your Heart, reminds me of my young Bride.

James Gang and I think Joe Walsh at the time, played at the Catholic Church across the street from my house in Ohio. Still listen to a lot of Zevon. Keep Me in your Heart, reminds me of my young Bride.
Yes! Definitely James Gang. Thanks for reminding of them. They were very good and had that classic heavy metal sound of that time.

I am not a musician of any kind nor do I know any famous musicians. Went to quite a few concerts while in college. Had a roommate one year who was friends with a well known pop star from the Philly area. Me?- nope, zip, zero, nada for playing any instrument or singing. However, over time, I developed a sensitive and well tuned ear ear thanks to an outstanding music professor of an elective course I took in college. Spent practically the entire time in the audio lab. That is really where I learned to hear what I was listening to. Taking that class was of the best decisions I ever made in school. Had nothing to do with my majors nor any degree.

I learned to "extract", identify and analyze the quality of sound and place in the composition of practically every instrument in a full orchestra. Also leaned, of course, the history of music from the earliest monk vocals though the classics through modern.

I listened a couple of times the other day to one of the pieces I posted by the Brit band, The Who playing their 1978 recording of Won't Get Fooled Again. What struck me most, aside from the overall show put on in the production of that video, was the mastery of the bass guitar by John Entwistle. It requires concentration, but all those subtle, complex runs he does in the bass background is unbelievable! That's the thing about much of the bass work in many of these pieces of music... commonly very subtle and often missed. :)

So with that, here's an extreme mix of eclectic productions I get a kick out of listening to on occasion.

You may need to turn the volume way up on this first one, dang it, as is common with many Youtube audio productions. As an aside, I'll be where this was made in about a month. ;)

This one by Barry McGuire self explains and just like those early ones by CCR, The Animals, etc., we played it over and over...

IMO, one of the best live concert vocals of all time by Lisa Kelly, Celtic Woman

Outstanding Nashville area concert, Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Wouldn't doubt this gets the PC woke censorship treatment in some circles, but to hell with that

Last edited:
Yes! Definitely James Gang. Thanks for reminding of them. They were very good and had that classic heavy metal sound of that time.

I am not a musician of any kind nor do I know any famous musicians. Went to quite a few concerts while in college. Had a roommate one year who was friends with a well known pop star from the Philly area. Me?- nope, zip, zero, nada for playing any instrument or singing. However, over time, I developed a sensitive and well tuned ear ear thanks to an outstanding music professor of an elective course I took in college. Spent practically the entire time in the audio lab. That is really where I learned to hear what I was listening to. Taking that class was of the best decisions I ever made in school. Had nothing to do with my majors nor any degree.

I learned to "extract", identify and analyze the quality of sound and place in the composition of practically every instrument in a full orchestra. Also leaned, of course, the history of music from the earliest monk vocals though the classics through modern.

I listened a couple of times the other day to one of the pieces I posted by the Brit band, The Who playing their 1978 recording of Won't Get Fooled Again. What struck me most, aside from the overall show put on in the production of that video, was the mastery of the bass guitar by John Entwistle. It requires concentration, but all those subtle, complex runs he does in the bass background is unbelievable! That's the thing about much of the bass work in many of these pieces of music... commonly very subtle and often missed. :)

So with that, here's an extreme mix of eclectic productions I get a kick out of listening to on occasion.

You may need to turn the volume way up on this first one, dang it, as is common with many Youtube audio productions. As an aside, I'll be where this was made in about a month. ;)

This one by Barry McGuire self explains and just like those early ones by CCR, The Animals, etc., we played it over and over...

IMO, one of the best live concert vocals of all time by Lisa Kelly, Celtic Woman

Outstanding '97 concert production of Sweet Home Alabama by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
Wouldn't doubt this gets the PC woke censorship treatment in some circles, but to hell with that

John Deacon, Bassist for Queen. Another, among others that could walk his lines around the tune .. music is trip. Thank you.

Even this "shape note" singing .. this is a trip.

Last edited:

One of my favorite bands. This song can get me in a good relaxing mood whenever I hear it. The group Brit Floyd does an amazing job replicating PF in concert. I try to go every year when they play at Red Rocks near Denver.

Back in February 2020 in Las Vegas while attending the SCI Show and the Grand Slam Club/Ovis Show, Wendy and I ran into Alan Parsons and his wife, Lisa, at our hotel. Extremely nice people and we had dinner with them one night. Then we went and watched his concert in Denver. He’s very talented and worked in studios with the Beatles and Pink Floyd, among others.

I’ll be the strange one. I seldom listen to music in English. Especially the trash that is popular now. I listen to music more than I watch TV. If I am awake, I have music streaming in our house. In the cantinas, the campesinos often ask me to be in charge of the music requests.

My favorites are Colombian despecho, musica popular y cantina, Carilerra, parrandera y vallenatos.

I also love classic baladas y folkloric musica de Argentina. And as a Tejano, I love musica Regional de Mexico.

The only thing as good as being in the woods with a fine rifle is listening to good music with friends and loved ones while sharing good drinks and food.

Safe travels.

I’ll be the strange one. I seldom listen to music in English. Especially the trash that is popular now. I listen to music more than I watch TV. If I am awake, I have music streaming in our house. In the cantinas, the campesinos often ask me to be in charge of the music requests.

My favorites are Colombian despecho, musica popular y cantina, Carilerra, parrandera y vallenatos.

I also love classic baladas y folkloric musica de Argentina. And as a Tejano, I love musica Regional de Mexico.

The only thing as good as being in the woods with a fine rifle is listening to good music with friends and loved ones while sharing good drinks and food.

Safe travels.
Strange Movie, but "Rebecca Del Rio" doing Roy Orbison: she is phenomenal ...

Last edited:
A few more observations related to the topic, as inane as they may be :)

While perusing the YouTube selection of the Vietnam era music, I noticed both a mix of Hollywood produced B roll and original footage. IMO, some of the Hollywood stuff is continually mis-labeled as original Vietnam era. The Hollywood stuff seems pretty well done so doesn’t distract to any degree. Within the legit original footage I couldn’t help notice quite a few M79s in use. The other one that surprised me was a very short glimpse of an M40 106.

While never a big follower of the Stones, I have to admit their longevity and importance. That longevity brings up the evolution of some of their hits. One is Paint It Black. I can notice a definite change from early iteration to later. The early performance version seems 2 dimensional while the later seems more complex and more 3 dimensional with more depth. Here’s my question about their evolved, later iteration of Paint It Black … I can’t pin down the source of the low tone, background “saw”. Is that being done by their longtime bassist Darryl Jones?

While on the Stones… I think some musicians think they can easily transition into acting, maybe because they are performers. But many good musicians simply can’t act and shouldn’t even try. :)
One exception though is Keith Richards. IMO, he did a good job as and was a perfect character actor as Captain Teague in Pirates of the Caribbean. :)

I think The quality of good music has gone downhill lately. I began listening to Classical Music a dozen years ago and never looked back. I even fell in love with Opera especially Opera sung in Italian even though I cannot understand a word

I think The quality of good music has gone downhill lately. I began listening to Classical Music a dozen years ago and never looked back. I even fell in love with Opera especially Opera sung in Italian even though I cannot understand a word
This is an interesting piece, as it was never finished by Mahler ..

This is probably well known. The whole score is an hour though ...

Last edited:
Yngwie Malmsteen & Jason Becker were classically trained .. he is phenomenal.
No lyrics, solo project. Unfortunately, he got ALS in his 20's.

This is great .. @Rob404, etc.

Recognized by the Classical Community & his works redone.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.