Mountain Lion kills man

Last edited:
This happened about 30 miles from my house and very near to where I’ve hunted deer and turkeys since 1978. Mountain Lions are common in this area. The first report I heard yesterday was that they were hiking and looking for deer shed antlers when they came upon the lion.

My son and I have seen several and a friend of mine shot one on the property next to a hunting lease I had. He was turkey hunting and the cat came in to his calling. They locked eyes at about 15 yards and the cat turned and came to him. He shot the cat with a turkey load at about 3-4 yards. He was not cited as the Game Warden who investigated the case (also a friend of mine) determined it was self defense.

It’s not the first time someone has been killed by a Mountain Lion in this area. A woman was killed about 30 years ago, 20 or so miles from where this happened. She was trail running and a lion killed and partially consumed her. Fish & Game hunted down that cat and killed it also. This scenario always concerns me as my daughter is a distance runner who trains in the area where this occurred yesterday. She completed a 50K foot race just a month ago in the same area where this guy was killed yesterday.

We have a large lion population in California, probably the largest of any state in the USA. We have no hunting season due to a statewide ballot proposition that was voted in, which made Mountain Lions a protected species. Quite a few lions are shot each year by our Fish & Wildlife Department under depredation permits.

I’ll know more details about this in a week, as I’m going to be turkey hunting with a close friend who is a Game Warden that grew up right where this guy was killed yesterday. He’s involved with most lion incidents in this region, so it’ll be interesting to hear what he has to say.

’Wldwilderness’ is completely clueless with what he posted about our Fish & Wildlife Department. I know a large number of people who’ve worked in that agency and nearly everyone of them that I know loves to hunt & fish. My son and I have enjoyed many days afield with friends who work in our Fish & Wildlife Department.
We lived in Pilot Hill for several years. I recall your friend killing that mountain lion while turkey hunting. I also recall the poor female jogger who was killed near Cool, California about 5 miles from us, about 20 years before we moved there. I called in a mountain lion while predator hunting (bobcat & coyote) using a distressed fawn call. I stood up so he would see me and he just froze then just ghosted away. I believe it was a tom because of the thick neck and big head.

A neighbor a few days later had 5 goats killed by a mountain lion (probably the same one I called in while predator hunting) in an outdoor pen. One goat was carried away and fed on. I suspect, similar to a leopard, all those panicking goats in close proximity caused it to go into a killing frenzy. A state animal control officer with a pack of lion hounds tracked it 5 miles away to a Cronan Ranch, where it was treed and killed it. It was a 140 lb male. I wonder if this was the same guy who tracked down the lion in this story?

Yes, the ignorant voters in California voted to ban mountain lion hunting through a ballot measure instead of allowing trained biologists to make recommendations on how best to manage the mountain lion population. It will never be overturned at least by a public vote due to the language in that proposition requiring either a 2/3 or 4/5 majority to overturn, a simple majority isn’t sufficient, thus it will never be changed by vote. What the animal rights activist and save the mountain lion organizations truly despise though is in that same proposition, a person SHALL have the right to kill a mountain lion in defense of their life, other human life and to protect their livestock and animals.

A deprivation permit will then be subsequently issued after the fact. I believe about 150-200 lions are killed annually with deprivation permits issued,mostly to protect livestock. Of course it’s unknown how many are killed and not reported. The animal rights groups hate this because they can’t change the law either! This language is on the same ballot and proposition. These activists say, you need to lock your goats up in a barn and lock your sheep in a barn, it’s your fault that lion was killed!

I too jogged quite a bit in Pilot Hill and nearby Cronan Ranch, sometimes I felt like I was being watched!

Anyhow, just one of many reasons we left the state, too many crazy laws.

Brendon J.

Attached is a crappy pic I took of him while inside my blind with my cell phone.

IMG_0250.jpeg
IMG_0194.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
We lived in Pilot Hill for several years. I recall your friend killing that mountain lion while turkey hunting. I also recall the poor female jogger who was killed near Cool, California about 5 miles from us, about 20 years before we moved there. I called in a mountain lion while predator hunting (bobcat & coyote) using a distressed fawn call. I stood up so he would see me and he just froze then just ghosted away. I believe it was a tom because of the thick neck and big head.

A neighbor a few days later had 5 goats killed by a mountain lion (probably the same one I called in while predator hunting) in an outdoor pen. One goat was carried away and fed on. I suspect, similar to a leopard, all those panicking goats in close proximity caused it to go into a killing frenzy. A state animal control officer with a pack of lion hounds tracked it 5 miles away to a Cronan Ranch, where it was treed and killed it. It was a 140 lb male. I wonder if this was the same guy who tracked down the lion in this story?

Yes, the ignorant voters in California voted to ban mountain lion hunting through a ballot measure instead of allowing trained biologists to make recommendations on how best to manage the mountain lion population. It will never be overturned at least by a public vote due to the language in that proposition requiring either a 2/3 or 4/5 majority to overturn, a simple majority isn’t sufficient, thus it will never be changed by vote. What the animal rights activist and save the mountain lion organizations truly despise though is in that same proposition, a person SHALL have the right to kill a mountain lion in defense of their life, other human life and to protect their livestock and animals.

A deprivation permit will then be subsequently issued after the fact. I believe about 150-200 lions are killed annually with deprivation permits issued,mostly to protect livestock. Of course it’s unknown how many are killed and not reported. The animal rights groups hate this because they can’t change the law either! This language is on the same ballot and proposition. These activists say, you need to lock your goats up in a barn and lock your sheep in a barn, it’s your fault that lion was killed!

I too jogged quite a bit in Pilot Hill and nearby Cronan Ranch, sometimes I felt like I was being watched!

Anyhow, just one of many reasons we left the state, too many crazy laws.

Brendon J.

Attached is a crappy pic I took of him while inside my blind with my cell phone.
Brendon, if you remember the ranch directly across Hwy 49 from the Pilot Hill market, where the gate was across from where Rattlesnake Bar Rd met Hwy 49; I had the hunting lease on that ranch for over 20 years. It ran all the way back to Cherry Acres, was about 1,000 acres that I had the run of. Great deer & turkey hunting back in the day. I also used to hunt the Cronin Ranch back in the 80’s when it was a Bacchi Ranch, before the American River Conservancy bought it. I’ve been fortunate to hunt all the Bacchi properties since 1978. It’s been a good run!

Brendon, if you remember the ranch directly across Hwy 49 from the Pilot Hill market, where the gate was across from where Rattlesnake Bar Rd met Hwy 49; I had the hunting lease on that ranch for over 20 years. It ran all the way back to Cherry Acres, was about 1,000 acres that I had the run of. Great deer & turkey hunting back in the day. I also used to hunt the Cronin Ranch back in the 80’s when it was a Bacchi Ranch, before the American River Conservancy bought it. I’ve been fortunate to hunt all the Bacchi properties since 1978. It’s been a good run!
I do! I also killed several rattlesnakes every year at our place on Pilot Hill! Lots of them in Cronan Ranch too but you already know this! We lived at the very top of Meadowcroft Lane on about 6 acres with a great view. There were some really nice bucks there! Photo of one in our yard below. I miss the area, it was going to be our retirement place, we really enjoyed living there but we decided we were still young enough to relocate out of state. Small world we live in.

IMG_0209.jpeg

2000 acers of mountain land are open to me to hunt ,ride 4x4,s or walk and i always carry a S&W 624 in .44 special with hard cast 240 gr bullets at 900 fps in a shoulder holster. and anything that can kill-eat me and coming at 25 yards is dead meat, and i,ll be damned if i will let anything eat me or one of my friends. SHOOT-SHOVEL-SHUT UP.

DSCN0148 (3).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.