Merkel 9.3x74R, looking for ammo/load advice

Stompbox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I’ve got a Merkel double rifle chambered in 9.3 x 74R that I recently started playing with. The factory target shows that it was regulated with RWS 250 grain ammunition, which I have not been able to find yet. I have only shot it with S&B, Hornady and Norma ammo all in the 285 to 286 grain range for bullets. At 100 yards I get 4 inch to 8 inch spreads with my right barrel shooting right in the left barrel shooting left, they do not cross. I’m guessing I need to find some 250 grain ammo or at least load some up with 250 grain bullets and give it a try. Does anyone have any experience with the same rifle? I appreciate any advice or assistance in the matter thank you.

A friend of mine has a Merkel over and under in the same caliber, and is having kind of the same experience I am with his bottom barrel shooting low and his top barrel shooting high and not crossing.

That's the problem with double with double rifles. They're pickier than children when it comes to feeding them. Even different batches of the same brand (and type) of ammunition will frequently not regulate to the same point of impact in a double rifle.

The most surefire solutions to your problem, are:
i) Hand load your own ammunition to match the specifications of the original factory regulated RWS 250Gr factory loads.
ii) Have a qualified gunsmith re-regulate your rifle for your preferred currently manufactured factory load.

These are some currently manufactured 250Gr factory loads. Try your luck with these, first:
or these:
or these:

Last edited:
I’ve only owned a double rifle for a couple of months….so you probably know more about them than me. Mine is a Blaser BB 97 classic in 9.3 x 74R . I also couldn’t get the ammunition for which it was regulated.

In the short time that I’ve owned her I have found that reducing the powder charge in mine increases the distance of point of impact between the barrels and that increases in the powder charge do the opposite.

And, for my rifle there is a significant difference in the difference between the POI of the barrels depending upon if the scope is attached or not.

As I’ve said I have stuff all experience with double rifles. I’ve only used 285 grain projectiles.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianaR92

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !