marco polo x cloned sheep

cwpayton

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
B,C. Canada Nevada,Ca. ,Georgia, Arkansas
from across the internet today a " rancher" in Montana has been arrested for illegally importing MARCO POLO SHEEP 'dna" to create a super sheep for hunting, on game ranches here. with cohorts , it seems multiple violations and laws were broken, , This is really something we dont need as hunters and will give the antis more reasons to contest legal trophy hunting.,, check it out.

from across the internet today a " rancher" in Montana has been arrested for illegally importing MARCO POLO SHEEP 'dna" to create a super sheep for hunting, on game ranches here. with cohorts , it seems multiple violations and laws were broken, , This is really something we dont need as hunters and will give the antis more reasons to contest legal trophy hunting.,, check it out.
I don't see the article, and certainly didn't know with everything else in this world being genetically modified, that there were laws against importing DNA to create super-sheep etc. Additionally, I never use the terminology "trophy hunting" to describe what I do. I hunt. I hunt mature animals that may/may not have impressive headgear. :)

“This was an audacious scheme to create massive hybrid sheep species to be sold and hunted as trophies,” said Assistant Attorney General Todd Kim of the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division.
“In pursuit of this scheme, Schubarth violated international law and the Lacey Act, both of which protect the viability and health of native populations of animals.”
The Justice Department noted that he can serve a maximum of five years in prison and a fine of $250,000 for each felony charge. Schubarth is scheduled to be sentenced July 11.

So does wolf reintroduction violate the Lacey Act since the same doesn't protect the viability and health of native populations of animals? I kid. Kind of. :). Genetically modifying whitetail deer is obviously no problem, but sheep equals "an audacious scheme".

Whitetail deer and bison are native to North America. The issue here, I'm sure, is more about the DNA of a non native species being brought in, and without any approval or clearance into the country. We can't bring in legally hunted animal parts until they have been sterilized and inspected. There certainly wouldn't be an exception for viable foreign DNA.

I would really hate to see a day when genetically modified super mutant sheep endanger the native free range population of aoudad in Texas or heaven forbid dolly the cloned sheep the government sponsored.

Don’t get me wrong I have no great love for invasive species. The chain pickerel have decimated the trout locally almost to extinction. And whitetail deer which are not native to Nova Scotia have all but killed the mainland moose population. I’m just unsure why we’re picking and choosing.
I know from experience I can pick up the phone and buy semen to inseminate cattle and horses out of Europe im sure I can buy domestic sheep semen for the same purposes and yet an eighty year old man faces prison time over another subspecies of sheep?

I would really hate to see a day when genetically modified super mutant sheep endanger the native free range population of aoudad in Texas or heaven forbid dolly the cloned sheep the government sponsored.

Don’t get me wrong I have no great love for invasive species. The chain pickerel have decimated the trout locally almost to extinction. And whitetail deer which are not native to Nova Scotia have all but killed the mainland moose population. I’m just unsure why we’re picking and choosing.
I know from experience I can pick up the phone and buy semen to inseminate cattle and horses out of Europe im sure I can buy domestic sheep semen for the same purposes and yet an eighty year old man faces prison time over another subspecies of sheep?

Key word is domestic. I'm not picking sides either way, just saying governments have certain rules in place and if you skirt them this is the result.

Key word is domestic. I'm not picking sides either way, just saying governments have certain rules in place and if you skirt them this is the result.
I’m not arguing either just seems kind of arbitrary, aoudads are certainly non native and running loose on North America likewise hogs were once domesticated stock. If you’re worried about genetic mutant sheep being released to hunt pass a castration law on all specimens released. We’re not talking Jurassic park here.

Whitetail deer and bison are native to North America. The issue here, I'm sure, is more about the DNA of a non native species being brought in, and without any approval or clearance into the country. We can't bring in legally hunted animal parts until they have been sterilized and inspected. There certainly wouldn't be an exception for viable foreign DNA.
"prior clearance" being granted by the same people who gave us grass carp, and kudzu!!

"prior clearance" being granted by the same people who gave us grass carp, and kudzu!!
and pythons in florida, the canadian super hogs, etc,etc,etc. List goes on and on. Situations like this are the result of new efforts to slow this down. No one can right their wrongs from the past, but if you are learning, you try to correct them for the future.

and pythons in florida, the canadian super hogs, etc,etc,etc. List goes on and on. Situations like this are the result of new efforts to slow this down. No one can right their wrongs from the past, but if you are learning, you try to correct them for the future.
You make an excellent point and in all honesty you’re looking at it the proper way. I can’t speak for the rest of the gentleman on here but I’m just disappointed the I’ll never have the opportunity to shoot a teenage mutant ninja sheep.
IMG_1627.png

Í'm a fan of our native sheep. But, sometimes they seem like a very fragile species and it's a constant struggle to even maintain their populations. I'm in no way saying this is right, but I have selfishly wondered if we'd just be better off importing asian sheep and ibex....

This might put a damper on Bob's @Bob Nelson 35Whelen resurrecting of the "super " prehistoric camel once roaming the earth? The DNA of the ancient Giant Ground Sloth (no, not present day Wal Mart employees) cloned into the modern day Bactrian Camel? Maybe he should lower his expectations and concentrate on a super Tasmanian Devil strain? Cross the DNA with the ancient Tasmanian Wolf or Tiger DNA? I'm sure he could "capture" the DNA sampling through ancient strains of Vegemite prevalent throughout OZ? LOL

While I think it would be cool to see what he came up with, I would say he is being charged for not having the correct, required paper work & permissions from both country's

No doubt Marco Polo would be a CITES animal & neither country would ever allow this to happen legally, he should of paid some one under the table from a US based Zoo or Wild Life park that had them in country.

Heck one of my guys was going to have some of his Holstein Cows carry Gaur embryos some years back.

In SA more than one breeder has been snapped trying to bring in Giant Sable DNA & many many bringing in Zambian Sable.

Considering it was Feds that went after the old "rancher" and who's in the White House, I would not be surprised to find out that the old guy was a Trump supporter. Not that no think cloning Marco Polo sheep for captive hunting is a good idea, hut considering this administration's lack of effort to prosecute major crimes I wonder what got them excited about this.

While I think it would be cool to see what he came up with, I would say he is being charged for not having the correct, required paper work & permissions from both country's

No doubt Marco Polo would be a CITES animal & neither country would ever allow this to happen legally, he should of paid some one under the table from a US based Zoo or Wild Life park that had them in country.

Heck one of my guys was going to have some of his Holstein Cows carry Gaur embryos some years back.

In SA more than one breeder has been snapped trying to bring in Giant Sable DNA & many many bringing in Zambian Sable.
Yeah, I don't get it? I know some RSA ranches have Scimitar Horned Oryx which aren't native to South Africa? And Texas has ALL KINDS of non native Asiatic (black buck and Gaur) and African game species on ranches? And they jam up this guy in Montana? Must be he didn't have the correct paperwork/fees/bribe money for importation?

If they don’t soon get a move on with cloning the woolly mammoths they’ll never have a huntable population of those in my lifetime either.
I just read the lead scientist say they are maybe 5 yrs out from having a legit chance to get one done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skylinedevelopment

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.