Making my way to irons

I have a NECG ghost ring I'm bringing as a backup for my scope when I go to RSA in August. The problem is the front sight on my 9.3 is black. Anybody have any hi-viz paint recommendations I can put on the front sight?

Also, hood or no hood on the front sight? My rifle came with one, but I took it off.
I missed a good mule deer buck in Colorado one evening while using my muzzle loader. I could not see the front sight which was all dark grey. I had a gunsmith replace the front sight with another that has a tiny red fiber optic bead. The next year I was on the same ridge at last light. When a buck came out the front sight looked like a very small neon light against the buck. That one did the old end-over-end down the wall. The rear sight on that rifle is a tang mounted peep.

I have two .30-30s and a .22 that all have tang peep sights (family heirlooms). I don't actually hunt with these rifles, but if I ever feel the need, I'll be looking into fiber optic fronts for them too.

If your new a rimfire or even airgun with similar sights are your friend.

At least i go this route often.

And of your want to get serious with it. A well fittet stock for irons will make the whole thing way easier.

I missed a good mule deer buck in Colorado one evening while using my muzzle loader. I could not see the front sight which was all dark grey. I had a gunsmith replace the front sight with another that has a tiny red fiber optic bead. The next year I was on the same ridge at last light. When a buck came out the front sight looked like a very small neon light against the buck. That one did the old end-over-end down the wall. The rear sight on that rifle is a tang mounted peep.

I have two .30-30s and a .22 that all have tang peep sights (family heirlooms). I don't actually hunt with these rifles, but if I ever feel the need, I'll be looking into fiber optic fronts for them too.
At someone else's suggestion, I painted my front sight with white fingernail polish.

Also, replaced the NECG with a low XS Ghost ring. I'll be sighting it in this weekend.

At someone else's suggestion, I painted my front sight with white fingernail polish.

Also, replaced the NECG with a low XS Ghost ring. I'll be sighting it in this weekend.
I hope it works for you, it does for me. Nice thing if it chips off just add a fresh coat.

I hope it works for you, it does for me. Nice thing if it chips off just add a fresh coat.
Many years ago I painted the front bead white on the front sight of my dad's 760 Remington. I first cleaned the bead with alcohol to remove all oil then painted the end of the bead with a spot of flat white exterior primer from spray can. Sprayed some inside the cap for can then used a fine paint brush. It has held up over several years of very hard hunting.

Having grown up hunting elk in thick brush and timber, I really appreciate the magnification provided by a scope, especially at close range. The 2 - 4 x magnification can reveal exactly what you're looking at as you press the trigger. Moving from binos to sights simply isn't quick enough to ensure that you're looking at a front shoulder instead of a hind quarter when you drop the hammer (in some instances). I completely agree with carrying an open sight rifle. Rifles without scopes are lighter, are easier to grip, balance better, look better, are just overall more pleasing to look at and carry. I applaud you guys who are going this way and I've been very tempted to do the same thing on my upcoming buffalo hunt, but.... having seen a branch across my sight line at 4x, having seen a bull elk standing broadside through the brush at 40 yards resolve into a bull standing broadside with a calf standing in front of it, having seen a whitetail buck facing me head-on at 30 or 40 yards between two trees resolve into a buck standing broadside with a windfall covering everything below the middle of his neck, I'm just too big of a wuss to do it. Our experiences and personal histories color our worlds. What the Marxists and Commies call, "My truth" does exist to an extent in all of us. I used to, probably still do, compare North Idaho elk hunting as closer to pheasant hunting than traditional elk hunting "out West" in wide-open spaces. It was very hard to get eyes on an elk and the encounters often only lasted a second or two.

We carried cocked- and-locked, I only ever used a 4x (so that I wouldn't be on 9x at 15 yards when I finally saw an elk after many days of hunting), and when we started shooting, we didn't stop until that critter was firmly anchored. There were lots of elk around in those days. Some days you would hear a herd go crashing off ahead of you, sometimes several times a day. Watching the tops of the alder brush 10 or 20 yards away waiving madly as a herd blew past it without even glimpsing tan fur.

Enough. I've made my points.

Have a good day yall. I appreciate everyone's posts and the opportunity I have to read everyone's posts and contribute to the discussion.

Having grown up hunting elk in thick brush and timber, I really appreciate the magnification provided by a scope, especially at close range. The 2 - 4 x magnification can reveal exactly what you're looking at as you press the trigger. Moving from binos to sights simply isn't quick enough to ensure that you're looking at a front shoulder instead of a hind quarter when you drop the hammer (in some instances). I completely agree with carrying an open sight rifle. Rifles without scopes are lighter, are easier to grip, balance better, look better, are just overall more pleasing to look at and carry. I applaud you guys who are going this way and I've been very tempted to do the same thing on my upcoming buffalo hunt, but.... having seen a branch across my sight line at 4x, having seen a bull elk standing broadside through the brush at 40 yards resolve into a bull standing broadside with a calf standing in front of it, having seen a whitetail buck facing me head-on at 30 or 40 yards between two trees resolve into a buck standing broadside with a windfall covering everything below the middle of his neck, I'm just too big of a wuss to do it. Our experiences and personal histories color our worlds. What the Marxists and Commies call, "My truth" does exist to an extent in all of us. I used to, probably still do, compare North Idaho elk hunting as closer to pheasant hunting than traditional elk hunting "out West" in wide-open spaces. It was very hard to get eyes on an elk and the encounters often only lasted a second or two.

We carried cocked- and-locked, I only ever used a 4x (so that I wouldn't be on 9x at 15 yards when I finally saw an elk after many days of hunting), and when we started shooting, we didn't stop until that critter was firmly anchored. There were lots of elk around in those days. Some days you would hear a herd go crashing off ahead of you, sometimes several times a day. Watching the tops of the alder brush 10 or 20 yards away waiving madly as a herd blew past it without even glimpsing tan fur.

Enough. I've made my points.

Have a good day yall. I appreciate everyone's posts and the opportunity I have to read everyone's posts and contribute to the discussion.
No disagreement with any of that. I finally put a scope on my 45-70 because of the thick timber where I deer hunt, and I'm not getting any younger.

I'm bringing an aperture as a backup for my upcoming hunt in Limpopo.

Does anyone know if there is a way to mount a red dot/reflex on the front base of a Talley removable rings setup? Seems like if you had a way to mount a red dot if your scope gets damaged that would be a good move.

Does anyone know if there is a way to mount a red dot/reflex on the front base of a Talley removable rings setup? Seems like if you had a way to mount a red dot if your scope gets damaged that would be a good move.
If you're locked into Talley, I don't know. It could certainly be doable with other rings on a generic pic-rail. These Warne QD rings work with either Weaver bases or standard pic-rails. They hold zero very well.
20240327_144244.jpg

If you're locked into Talley, I don't know. It could certainly be doable with other rings on a generic pic-rail. These Warne QD rings work with either Weaver bases or standard pic-rails. They hold zero very well.View attachment 602838
I already have a set of Talley's mounted on my rifle. So...I guess I'm hoping to work with what I have.

Thank you

Talley rings look like they clamp onto a rail or similar. If so just have a ring on your red dot, remove standard scope and attach red dot ring to mount. This is what I do with several of my rifles where I have an Aimpoint and standard scope.

Thanks Rule! What are the odds that a photo of your setup could find its way onto this thread. Sounds just like what I'm looking for.

I'm a little hung up on, "If so just have a ring on your red dot". I'm an engineer but only a chemical engineer, I'm afraid, so my brain is freezing up when I try to compute this.

You guys are awesome !

Thanks Rule! What are the odds that a photo of your setup could find its way onto this thread. Sounds just like what I'm looking for.

I'm a little hung up on, "If so just have a ring on your red dot". I'm an engineer but only a chemical engineer, I'm afraid, so my brain is freezing up when I try to compute this.

You guys are awesome !
I am not good with technology and having trouble with my image hosting at the moment. But just look at the photo Ontario Hunt has attached. Looks just the same only one ring on the shorted Aimpoints.

If the red dot is not a straight tube then it wont work. Nowadays most are coming set up to slide onto standard cross slot bases/rails. I don't know if any come with bases to slide onto the Talley's, from memory they are fairly narrow.

I have just had a look at the Aimpoint Web site. They no longer make the ones I have but hjave several that are modernized version. The Hunter H34S & L and 900SC and L need two rings, the H2 comes with out base for weaver rails so a single ring, the Pro Patrol Rifle needs one ring. I do not know what the other red dot companies make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaquelFrym

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !