Making my way to irons

My 22 doesn't have open sights, sadly. I do shoot it much more than my larger rifles. But now I need to find one with decent sights....wait 'till I try and explain this to the Mrs.
Haha you ask? Honey this old thing? I have had it a while.

Here is the one that my wife and I use for irons and sometimes put a red dot on it. but mostly irons

Attachments

• CZ 457 .22 LR for sale.pdf
    243.2 KB · Views: 31
My 22 doesn't have open sights, sadly. I do shoot it much more than my larger rifles. But now I need to find one with decent sights....wait 'till I try and explain this to the Mrs.
Good, useful information from the joke page

1704550955706.png

Looks awesome. Can I get one fitted to a pre-war ‘98?
I would think so. I have seen them on pre-war Rigby’s. I had bolt peeps installed on our Rigby’s when we ordered the rifles.

Safe shooting

Here is the one that my wife and I use for irons and sometimes put a red dot on it. but mostly irons

At breakfast I told her I have to buy this. She said she had to buy a tanzanite ring. The rest of breakfast was rather silent.

At breakfast I told her I have to buy this. She said she had to buy a tanzanite ring. The rest of breakfast was rather silent.
You could offer to take her to Tanzania to pick out her ring, would that help?

You could offer to take her to Tanzania to pick out her ring, would that help?
Thanks buddy, that certainly doesn't make it cheaper. But, I admire the thinking process :)

I, to the contrary, would practice diligently with the 500 Jeffery .. then work your way down.? Should be a surgeon with the 30's, 40's etc. idk.

Seems like a fair trade...

The front bead I have for the 308 Norma Mag is this brass bead. It isn't the brightest bead in the world. I am wonderimg how it would be on a dark target like a black bear for instance. I saw somewhere the idea of beveling a 45° angle into it to increase the shine. What are the thoughts on this bead style?

20240106_153434.jpg

The front bead I have for the 308 Norma Mag is this brass bead. It isn't the brightest bead in the world. I am wonderimg how it would be on a dark target like a black bear for instance. I saw somewhere the idea of beveling a 45° angle into it to increase the shine. What are the thoughts on this bead style?

View attachment 578871
Some brasso on a Q tip will take care of it.

Drilled out the peep on my M1 to a usable size (the US military loves to put target sights on fighting rifles) and took a bison and an axis deer with it. The latter seemed fitting. Shot an elk and a fallow deer with a Blackhawk and iron sights. I certainly enjoy iron sights but they are getting a bit blurry as I get older. Irons will reduce opportunities but they are fun to use. Because so many animals are crepuscular, iron sights will never put as much game on the ground as will a good scope with excellent low-light capability. But if it were just about bringing home the most meat we'd be raising livestock, not hunting. Hunt with whatever brings you the most joy.

First thing I do with any peep sight is remove the threaded insert and add it to my wooden box full in my gun cabinet never to be used again.

As IvW said - get the rear sight as close to your eye as possible.

Switching this 30-30 from standard rear V sight to Williams peep sight greatly increased the sight radius and thus accuracy and greatly increased target acquisition.
View attachment 578721

Removing the screw in aperture of the sight makes it a ghost ring.

This is what I did many years ago with my M 94 in 30-30. Sure made it quicker and far more accurate and I could use it out to 200mts on pigs. That was a long shot normally 150 and under.

I am blessed with a very accurate rifle. I have started at 50 yards. It shoots to the right of the point of aim by 3.5" (the group to the right in the photo). Once I realized that I put up that one on its own to the left and then that three shot group. I love this rifle.

20240108_120926.jpg

I believe I have to loosen the screw by the peep and get it to move to the left. I couldn't get the screw to loosen so I stopped for now. I don't want to damage it, but it is very stiff. I suspect the Cerakote finish has glued it in place.

20240108_114941.jpg

That gun must be dovetailed for rear sight? Those are easy to find online or gunshows. A lot cheaper than buying a new gun ... and paying for a divorce lawyer.

That gun must be dovetailed for rear sight? Those are easy to find online or gunshows. A lot cheaper than buying a new gun ... and paying for a divorce lawyer.
The 22 is a Browning T bolt with no front or rear sight unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve722

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair