Looking for my First Hunt

AaronR8

AH member
Reaction score
I am looking to book my first African hunt next year preferably between March - June 2024.

As this will be my first hunt I am looking for a whole package dozen't necessarily need to be long in days and long species list but I want to make sure my first experience is amazing.

From what I read I could even be better on a cull hunt and I'm not too worried on trophy's in this point in time, a major factor is where I live at present, would be suited to some rungs maybe but I would have zero wall space.

I am budget conscious for my first time as no doubt it won't be my last time, once I get the taste there will be may more hunts to plan and look forward to I would imagine!

If there are any company that have starter packages or some good direction I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
Aaron

Hi Aaron,
Welcome to the forum. We can assist you for sure and host a number of Aussies every year. If you have any further questions, please feel free to drop me a Personal Message right here on the forum, or drop me an email. Would love to hear from you.

Cheers,
Marius Goosen

Hi @AaronR8

Welcome to AH!!
Planning your first Safari is always exciting! I can offer you some starter hunts in South Africa and accommodate you May or June.

Feel free to drop me a PM or email
info@mattanjasafaris.co.za

Cheers
Dieter

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of good sponsors here on AH can help make your first African safari a memorable one. Suggest going May or June, not March or April.

Welcome. Lots of good sponsors here, you will get a lot of suggestions. As mentioned already. May-June time frame I suggest.
Cooler weather, and hopefully not as green. I did April this year and will stay with Late May and June from now on.
Was warm and very green.

Hello Aaron
We will also be able to help you with some package hunts.
Just send us an e-mail.

Regarding 375 Ruger Fan and Mark Biggerstaff's comments above:
I agree with you gentlemen if you are talking about the eastern half of the country.
Out here in the Kalahari April and May are my 2 favourite months of the year.
The rain season just stopped, the grass are still lush and green, the brush has enough cover to make a stalk easier, the climate is perfect and it is the time most animals are in rut.

Just my 5 cents.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

I've had good luck early in the season. A track is a track no matter the season. If there are animals, you, your PH or the trackers and game scouts will see their tracks or see them. You will find them. Vegetation can be green or thick brown really anytime. Only those areas that have had at least some overgrazing or overbrowsing will show significant vegetation clearing. Some hunters book mid to late in season so they can sit on water holes and shoot animals that are forced to come to water. If you scour the galleries on sites of outfitters you may notice some skin and bones animals. That usually means later season harvest or areas under drought conditions or in over-populated areas. I've hunted there April, May, June, July, August. Early to mid-April, after decent rains is my favorite time. Mopane and mixed species scrub will still have leaves fairly late into the July-August. It is not at all like here where you wake up one morning and all the deciduous leaves have hit the ground :) Unless there is extensive burning, tall grass will be just as thick, whether green or brown.

Last edited:
Welcome welcome welcome

Dm sent

I am looking to book my first African hunt next year preferably between March - June 2024.

As this will be my first hunt I am looking for a whole package dozen't necessarily need to be long in days and long species list but I want to make sure my first experience is amazing.

From what I read I could even be better on a cull hunt and I'm not too worried on trophy's in this point in time, a major factor is where I live at present, would be suited to some rungs maybe but I would have zero wall space.

I am budget conscious for my first time as no doubt it won't be my last time, once I get the taste there will be may more hunts to plan and look forward to I would imagine!

If there are any company that have starter packages or some good direction I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks,
Aaron
Welcome Aaron, with me you pay zero daily rates, you pay only for the animals killed/wounded. I have been doing cull hunts with foreign clients since 1999! Some of those guys have been first time visitors, some of them continue to do cull hunts with me and are approaching 20+ safaris with me since their first. Walk & stalk in great habitat and topography of the East Cape. Yes I have a variety of standard Cull Hunt packages available, and a total available list of 16 different species to cull....Look forward to hear from you!

Hi @Aaron,

Welcome and i hope you find the right fit for your upcoming safari.

I have sent you a DM. Hope to chat there.

Regards

Dave Freeburn

Thanks,
Aaron
@AaronR8
I did a trophy hunt in Namibia and had a blast. Bringing trophies home and taxidermy doesn't come cheap tho.
@CBH Australia Chris did a cull hunt and had a ball. He just packed carry on luggage as washing is done daily. Travelling light gas a lot of advantages.
If you just want skins to bring home that's easy. If you hunt Namibia Nankara tannery in Windhoek has good skins for sale at very good prices. I bought Springbok skins for gifts and they were 15 to 25 dollars depending on grade. Zebra skins could be had for around 100 bucks.
Failing that you could just buy a few at the airport.
Bringing skins home is hassle free. Just have your receipt to show customs in Australia and you will have no worries.
I'm sure you will find an outfitter here that can fulfill your dream.
Make sure you can get the prices in Australian dollars not USD as the price fluctuations can be a bit of a hit that can shock.
Eg a hunt for 3,000 USD converts to around 4,600 dollars Australia.
Bob

welcome Aaron, 6 things you must do. # get your passport in order as it can take some time. #2 contact the wonderful safari operators on this site and set a date and a short list of what you are looking for. #3 contact Jennifer at Travel Express for you airline tickets she is worth the small amount you will spend.# 4 contact Henry at rifle permits if you are going to take your own rifle, if not you Safari company will have some for hire. # 5 read everything here and ask lots of questions and don't be shy.#6 don't sweat this its not rocket science and above all HAVE FUN the planning is only half the fun, so experience everything in Africa you can and remember you WILL go back again and again

welcome Aaron, 6 things you must do. # get your passport in order as it can take some time. #2 contact the wonderful safari operators on this site and set a date and a short list of what you are looking for. #3 contact Jennifer at Travel Express for you airline tickets she is worth the small amount you will spend.# 4 contact Henry at rifle permits if you are going to take your own rifle, if not you Safari company will have some for hire. # 5 read everything here and ask lots of questions and don't be shy.#6 don't sweat this its not rocket science and above all HAVE FUN the planning is only half the fun, so experience everything in Africa you can and remember you WILL go back again and again
Very well stated and rock solid advice. I can not thank everyone here for answering my questions. Many were of the rookie variety, however, be warned I have booked my third trip which will all be inside of one year. This stuff is addictive!

Hello again Aaron,

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishing Safaris invites you to have a look into our web site.
We offer not-game-fenced / true free range hunting cull hunts, as well as so-called “trophy” hunting.

When you have a spare minute, take a look into our web site.
In April 2024, yours truly and Mrs. Velo Dog will be in camp, in case you want to slap me silly for my jabs at Weatherby rifles and cartridges.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Hello again Aaron,

Khomas Highland Hunting and Fishing Safaris invites you to have a look into our web site.
We offer not-game-fenced / true free range hunting cull hunts, as well as so-called “trophy” hunting.

In April 2024, yours truly and Mrs. Velo Dog will be in camp, in case you want to slap me silly for my jabs at Weatherby rifles and cartridges.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
I’ve added photos but being a computer dunce, it appears that my efforts are in vain.
If you want photos, perhaps I can email them to you or, PM might work ?
(Computers dislike me personally).:ROFLMAO:

Hello again Aaron,

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
@Velo Dog
If I was in you camp I would shake your hand about all the jabs you have at Weatherby then sit down and have a drink with you.
Take the 30-378 Weatherby for example needs half a bucket of powder to do not much more than the 300WM. All that fire,fury and recoil just to reach out yonder as Nd shoot shit. In Australia a box of factory ammo for it is now up over 250 dollars for 20. Is it really worth that.
Bob

Good Day Aaron

We have a variety of starter and cull packages that should work for you.You are most welcome to make contact and we can discuss a few option.

We are looking forward to hear from you.

Regards

Rouan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.