Long haul seat selection

D
Rare breed, if 41J wasn’t right next to the crapper. I would book it. I don’t prefer all the leg stretchers butts in my face.
It is also challenging to get any sleep seated right by the restrooms as there is a lot of traffic/commotion the entire trip

The extra legroom is nice, but it is offset by nonstop people going to the bathroom right next to you

Take a look at SeatGuru.com. They have seat maps of the different airlines and the configurations they use. Type in your airline, departure date, and flight #. Then, confirm from the list at the top left of the screen that the same plane as yours has been selected (eg; A350 .vs A380) It's kind of nice to have a heads up and a review of the various seat options.
Personally, I'm with Red Leg on this one if at all possible. I'm hoping to return to Africa in the Fall of 2025. I have enough money for the hunt, but it will take me another 18 months to save up for that Business Class seat. It is worth the wait to me to have a seat that folds down flat so I am rested upon arrival. I just cannot seem to sleep sitting up.
Seat Guru became obsolete and not being updated anymore.
Try aeroLOPA.

If anyone looking to save money and flying Business, avoid Delta and Unıted non-stop flights. Fly out of New-York with Turkish, Qatar , Emirates, Etophian etc…
Total time will be longer but with a break in the middle and you’ll save thousands!

We have 5 in our party flying next month on Qatar. We are all aisle seats !!!! Across from each other

I have looked at them all. Best value bar none but business class on Delta flight 200 from ATL to JNB is 41J and its counterpart. Right by exit row with no seat in front of you at Main seating price. Always amazed people don’t understand this
We flew Qatar, paid a little extra for those seats. I hated them, they were right next to the bathroom and someone was always using them. I'm not sure if it is that way on Delta.

D

It is also challenging to get any sleep seated right by the restrooms as there is a lot of traffic/commotion the entire trip

The extra legroom is nice, but it is offset by nonstop people going to the bathroom right next to you
I truly dislike sitting next to the bathrooms on long hauls, especially a 12 hour + flight. It always stinks, no matter the airline /airplane, and too much commotion.

Agree with @RedLeg, budget the money, Business class is a hell of a lot better. After 20 trips over, I know I want to be rested with some comfort and sleep.

Flying Delta 200/201 to/from JNB in May (2nd time on this route) and curious what you all prefer on long haul....Aisle or window. I get free comfort+ at booking and its either window or middle, or sit back in main cabin with plenty of options. Although its minimal the extra leg room is nice and comfort+ gets an amenity kit that while not mind blowing is nice.
41J and its opposite seat…the best kept secret…i will pay 25% less than your comfort in main and only business class beats my seat…no seat in front of me at all in exit row

Rare breed. We must be looking a different seat layout. 41J has always been next to the bathrooms

We flew Qatar, paid a little extra for those seats. I hated them, they were right next to the bathroom and someone was always using them. I'm not sure if it is that way on Delta.
Everyone my Delta 41j is not next to the BRs. My flights to Zim and SA using Air Link twice round trip both times is $2300 total. Jennifer with TA got this for me 6 months out

Everyone my Delta 41j is not next to the BRs. My flights to Zim and SA using Air Link twice round trip both times is $2300 total. Jennifer with TA got this for me 6 months out
That's awesome. We are flying United, our tickets were 1933.00. I would have no problem paying the difference if the seat is worth it. The first time (only time) we flew over on Qatar we had the exit seats the flight over there was beautiful no one was on the flight. People were laying across seats sleeping. On the way back, I was hating life. Was not able to sleep. It was a miserable flight back.

Business
I hadn't flown except domestic and to Cambodia and Bali in14 years until I had to return to the states late last year, still here. Flew ANA business and as long as I can find the money I'll fly business unless it is just a couple hours flt. Tremendous difference over a long flt.

Rare breed, if 41J wasn’t right next to the crapper. I would book it. I don’t prefer all the leg stretchers butts in my face.
Bingo! Some of those "attractive" aisle seats next to restrooms are the worst. Not only people exercising, but standing in line to use restroom, with their butts in your face and off gassing their previous 8 hours of airline and airport "happy" food. :)

However it does depend on the particular airline seat layout and whether Airbus 330 or 350. Both the 41J and it's opposite 41A on the Airbus 350 are window seats and do look interesting. They are window seat near the crappers but behind them with large leg room space in front because they are part of the exit area. If that is the lay out for current Airbus 350 Delta 200/201 @Rare Breed is referencing as pic below, I'd say worth consideration! However, aisle seats in rows 39 and 40 would be no go for me. Also, the space in front of row 40 looks interesting but I'm afraid the wait line for the restrooms might crowd into there?

Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 6.29.09 AM.png

Bingo! Some of those "attractive" aisle seats next to restrooms are the worst. Not only people exercising, but standing in line to use restroom, with their butts in your face and off gassing their previous 8 hours of airline and airport "happy" food. :)

However it does depend on the particular airline seat layout and whether Airbus 330 or 350. Both the 41J and it's opposite 41A on the Airbus 350 are window seats and do look interesting. They are window seat near the crappers but behind them with large leg room space in front because they are part of the exit area. If that is the lay out for current Airbus 350 Delta 200/201 @Rare Breed is referencing as pic below, I'd say worth consideration! However, aisle seats in rows 39 and 40 would be no go for me. Also, the space in front of row 40 looks interesting but I'm afraid the wait line for the restrooms might crowd into there?

View attachment 594602
You have captured both the aircraft and seat in your picture I always get. no seat in front of me so I can stretch out and no bathroom build up of people. This seat is in main travel section. in my opinion only business travel beats it which will cost you $5 to $7,000 more

41J and its opposite seat…the best kept secret…i will pay 25% less than your comfort in main and only business class beats my seat…no seat in front of me at all in exit row
Since I am diamond I don't have to pay for C+ :) I'd rather fly up front but who can justify 16k for the delta one seat.

No Brainer...Business Only

Buyer beware here, I posted this previously and hate to contradict @Rare Breed, however Delta has reconfigured their ATL - JNB Flight 200/201 A350 aircraft on flights starting in June. Delta announced this earlier this year, at least to their frequent flyers. See below screen shots I took just a moment ago showing the A350 seating configuration for Flt 200 Atlanta to Johannesburg. The first seating map screenshot is for flight 200 on May 5th and the second seating map screen shot for the same flight on June 2nd. So don't blindly ask your travel agent to grab seat 41A or 41J for you starting after June 1st as you won't be getting the extra leg room that was there previously. As you can see there is no exit row seat with the extra legroom of 41J any more. Delta did this reconfiguration to add 2 more rows of Delta One business class on these aircraft they are using for the Johannesburg flight. Big bummer for the rest of us.

Edit - I shoud have also added that this is Delta's seating map for this summer, who knows they may decide it was not a good idea and revert back to their previous seating arrangement and 41J may come back into play. But I would always check the seat map carefully before buying and make sure you can get the seat you are thinking you want.

This is the Delta Flt 200 seat map as shown for flight on May 5th 2024 - 41A and 41J exist

DEB71961-7FCA-4C19-9140-827B6F6372AB.jpeg

This is the same flight Delta 200 on June 2, 2024 with new seating configuration

B58E3A79-DD59-4F8F-A5B9-88CCCA151F75.jpeg

Last edited:
Since I am diamond I don't have to pay for C+ :) I'd rather fly up front but who can justify 16k for the delta one seat.
Agreed! Easy for the smug, "well healed" to recommend for the little people isn't it. :) Also a tax rip off from the rest of us for some to use bogus tax write offs for excessive travel costs associated with "business class". Lovely!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.