cgdemakis

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA, USA
Flying Delta 200/201 to/from JNB in May (2nd time on this route) and curious what you all prefer on long haul....Aisle or window. I get free comfort+ at booking and its either window or middle, or sit back in main cabin with plenty of options. Although its minimal the extra leg room is nice and comfort+ gets an amenity kit that while not mind blowing is nice.

Well if window or middle was my only option that’s an easy choice, go with the window. I’m an aisle person myself, feel it gives me a little more room but I would never knowingly choose a middle seat, even in Comfort+

Well if window or middle was my only option that’s an easy choice, go with the window. I’m an aisle person myself, feel it gives me a little more room but I would never knowingly choose a middle seat, even in Comfort+
Same, though I'm really an "aisle only" when I can make it happen. I put the missus in the middle - she's shorter than I am, plus I take the elbow/leg bumps from the carts.

I generally prefer the aisle as I like to get up and stretch but last time over I got 7 hours of shut eye and the window will be nice to curl up against...No way in hell will I ever take a middle seat! Ha!

Business

For me, an aisle seat in the middle area is preferred. I feel like the window seats are louder and I don't like being sandwiched against a wall.

Bulkhead window seat, Bose noise cancelling headset, Tylenol PM for these old bones. YMMV.

Take a look at SeatGuru.com. They have seat maps of the different airlines and the configurations they use. Type in your airline, departure date, and flight #. Then, confirm from the list at the top left of the screen that the same plane as yours has been selected (eg; A350 .vs A380) It's kind of nice to have a heads up and a review of the various seat options.
Personally, I'm with Red Leg on this one if at all possible. I'm hoping to return to Africa in the Fall of 2025. I have enough money for the hunt, but it will take me another 18 months to save up for that Business Class seat. It is worth the wait to me to have a seat that folds down flat so I am rested upon arrival. I just cannot seem to sleep sitting up.

For me aisle,I still do long haul flights almost monthly and don’t really sleep anymore. I doze a couple of hours, get up walk around, read a lot and a movie or two. Delta premium select work perfectly for me but need aisle.

I always do comfort + at minimum for early boarding, earlier deboarding, easier to get carry-on stored, extra space, etc. I usually travel with my wife (window seat or center) and I usually get the aisle seat. I like the bulkhead in comfort+ if available. Business if you can afford it or can upgrade.

We're booked comfort+ on our flight to Johannesburg this May, and I chose aisle for me. Longest flight i've ever been on by a long shot. I like to be able to stretch my leg out into the aisle a bit. We'll see how she goes.

Bulkhead window seat, Bose noise cancelling headset, Tylenol PM for these old bones. YMMV.
I have looked at them all. Best value bar none but business class on Delta flight 200 from ATL to JNB is 41J and its counterpart. Right by exit row with no seat in front of you at Main seating price. Always amazed people don’t understand this

I have looked at them all. Best value bar none but business class on Delta flight 200 from ATL to JNB is 41J and its counterpart. Right by exit row with no seat in front of you at Main seating price. Always amazed people don’t understand this

As I posted a few months ago, Delta has changed the configuration of their A350 aircraft being used on the ATL-JNB flight starting in June. They took out several rows of main cabin to accommodate more Delta One seats. This impacted the seat 41J advantage although I think there is a new seat that has that same leg room benefit but not 41J anymore so be sure and check the seat map

I know I'm going to be miserable no matter what. Rarely can sleep at all. I try to get aisle so I'm free to get up. If I get that same fat bastard with turban sitting next to me again, I'll probably be doing time in jail somewhere and miss my safari entirely. What an asshole, purposely shoving his elbow into my ribs the entire transatlantic trip AND his wife's ribs. Gad, he treated her like dirt! They don't all have to be that way. Sat next to an overweight pleasant lady on the flight to Port Elizabeth. Very courteous. Visiting with her was one of the highpoints of the entire trip.

If you are traveling Comfort+, traveling with your wife and want the Aisle seat and will be putting wife in a middle next to you.....take the aisle seat in the center section the plane not the aisle seat of the 3 with a window

If you take the Aisle/Center in the middle, the 3rd seat is a Aisle on the other side...that means that person can get out without bothering the two of you.

If you take the Aisle/Center on the side of a window group of seats, the person on the window has to ask you both to let him/her out. I much prefer not having to get up multiple times to let somebody out, especially if trying to sleep.

All that said, short of Delta 1 sleeper seats, I go for the Premium Select on way over at a minimum and get a 2 seat section by the window so that my wife and I are in a 2 seat group by ourselves. The food/wine is barely better than Comfort+ but we love having the two seats to ourselves as in this pic. I find myself more rested when we get to JNB. I often just do the Comfort+ on the return to save a little $$$ and do as stated above...aisle/middle in the middle of the plane leaving a aisle on the other side

I am about to jump on a 17 hour flight to Seoul South Korea Sunday and am fortunate enough that my client signed off on Delta 1 seat for the flights over and back. Pure luxury on a long haul.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Last edited:
Aisle seat always! I try to stay hydrated on flights, which requires getting out of the seat. I also benefit from the ease of just getting up every so often to walk, touch my toes and other stretching. It helps break up the long flight.

I like the aisle so I can get up and walk around. You’re flying at night so you can’t see anything from the window anyway.
I would not recommend flying from Johannesburg to Atlanta with a kidney stone, but hopefully you won’t have to deal with the brutality of that!
Also, WEAR COMPRESSION SOCKS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.